Skagway to Emerald Lake -- how different than other scenery?

recker

My husband and I will be going to Skagway in the spring, and wanted to drive to Emerald lake. I contacted Canadian Border Services, and it's true, as a Canadian you are not allowed to drive a car rented in the states into Canada. We will enjoy the sights closer to Skagway. I hope you enjoy your day in Skagway.NML fellow Canadian

Easy solution: Make friends with some people from the U.S. (or any other country) on your cruise ship who are planning to do that drive and offer to share the cost of the rental car + gasoline with them. Be sure to bring along a copy of Murray's Guide

http://explorenorth.com/murraysguide/index.html

You will have a wonderful full-day excursion for far less than the cost of any commercial tour you might otherwise book. If you check out the roll call for your cruise, you may even find someone with whom you can make advance arrangements to share the ride.

Is it just me, or does Emerald Lake remind anyone else of Peyto Lake in the Rockies?

Like other folks here, we want to see new scenery and make the most of our time in Alaska, has anyone seen both and think it worthwhile to spend the extra time getting out to Emerald Lake?

(p.s. We have also seen the 'other' Emerald Lake, the green one in the Rockies)

peyto-lake.jpgpeyto

2454879.jpg emerald

it took my breath away, literally, I could hardly breathe when we started walking to the peak,altitude didn't agree with me. Guess I'd never manage Everest then:o

We might swop Emerald lake for doing something else then, it's a long journey to get there. We definitely want to travel to the Yukon though, it's an area we've not had the pleasure of seeing yet.:)

We might swop Emerald lake for doing something else then, it's a long journey to get there. We definitely want to travel to the Yukon though, it's an area we've not had the pleasure of seeing yet.:)

Think of Emerald Lake as a beautiful spot to turn around. "The experience is the journey, not the destination" - the variety of scenery as you travel TO Emerald Lake is quite remarkable, unlike anything else you'll see on your cruise.

Emerald Lake looks fantastic -- but I am also wondering if it makes sense to continue onto Whitehorse. Any advice? Thanks.

Not unless there's something very specific you want to see in Whitehorse, you've been to Skagway so many times that there's nothing left to see, or you just like sitting in a car all day :)

Not unless there's something very specific you want to see in Whitehorse, you've been to Skagway so many times that there's nothing left to see, or you just like sitting in a car all day :)

LOL. That interesting, eh? Good to now before hand.

Will plan accordingly. Thanks.

I am also looking into renting a car and making the drive up to emerald lake. if i do so, will there be time and a place to park the car and hike to laughton glacier, or another hike? i woudl hate to stay in the car all day.

we will have something like 14 hours in port (7am-9pm) but would like to see other things in skagway as well.

Thanks!

I'm the same way. This will be our first visit to Alaska and I am looking at renting a car and having the opportunity to drive up to Emerald Lake and the flexibility to stop and take pictures,etc.... Also looking at a doing a Skagway hike and float and having time to tour around the town too. Just trying to figure out which would be the better way to spend our time. The train is going to be too much $$ for us I think. We will be in port from 7am to 8:30pm.

There are a few hiking options both in Skagway and along the road to Emerald Lake. The earlier you come, though, the more trails that will still be closed by snow. The Laughton Glacier trail, though, can only be reached by train. You can see the Skagway options at http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/shorterdayhikes.htm and pick up a free map at the NPS office.

I'm sure this is posted somewhere already, but approximately how many hours should we set aside for the drive to Emeral Lake and back, including stops for pictures etc. I know it will vary depending on the stops, but an estimate would help!

Figure on 5 hours for the whole trip - that seems to work for most people.

Figure on 5 hours for the whole trip - that seems to work for most people.

Great, thanks for the info! We're thinking about doing the Chilkoot Hike & Float Trip in addition to our drive, so we would either have to get our car after the ship docks at 7 and then get back in time for the 2:30 PM tour or do the 8 AM tour and pick up our car when it's over around 12 PM. Our ship is in port until 8:30. Any thougts as to which order would be better?

Edit: I just noticed the 8AM has a four person minimum and there are only 2 of us, so we may be better off with the 2:30 tour to guarantee it goes. If we get the car at 7:30 AM, that should be pleanty of time, right?

Great, thanks for the info! We're thinking about doing the Chilkoot Hike & Float Trip in addition to our drive, so we would either have to get our car after the ship docks at 7 and then get back in time for the 2:30 PM tour or do the 8 AM tour and pick up our car when it's over around 12 PM. Our ship is in port until 8:30. Any thougts as to which order would be better?

Edit: I just noticed the 8AM has a four person minimum and there are only 2 of us, so we may be better off with the 2:30 tour to guarantee it goes. If we get the car at 7:30 AM, that should be pleanty of time, right?

I'd go for the 2:30 hike/float for 2 reasons:

- you're better off to get the car asap so you're sure you have it;

- the forest is nicer in the afternoon - cool and damp just isn't as welcoming first thing in the morning :)

Even if you didn't get away from town until 9, you can still shave a few minutes off the drive to give yourself "wiggle room" - plan on making most stops on the way back to make it easy to figure your time.

Thanks for the feedback Yukon! We'll be sure to bring our Murray driving guide with us too ;)

Edit: Just found that Avis doesn't open until 8:00 AM. I guess we'll still be okay though. Also, they close at 5Pm, so doing the drive after the tour would not work anyway.

Archived