Jolly Beach?

LynandBill

Thinking of going to Jolly Beach for the day. Does anyone know the cost of 2 chairs and an umbrella? Is there a better part of the beach to go to for food and drinks? Also the cost of a taxi from the cruise terminal?

Thanks!

From other posts here: taxi from port to Jolly Beach is $18 for 4 people, one way, about 20-min. drive. Chair rental - $5, umbrella - $10. Jet ski rental $35 for half hour. Castaways Restaurant there. Can get onto the beach by the marina or Cocobay Resort.

Jolly Beach Resort there has a day pass - all inclusive food & drink - $60 (10:15 a.m. on). Do a search for "Jolly Beach Resort" for details.

From other posts here: taxi from port to Jolly Beach is $18 for 4 people, one way, about 20-min. drive. Chair rental - $5, umbrella - $10. Jet ski rental $35 for half hour. Castaways Restaurant there. Can get onto the beach by the marina or Cocobay Resort.

Jolly Beach Resort there has a day pass - all inclusive food & drink - $60 (10:15 a.m. on). Do a search for "Jolly Beach Resort" for details.

Thanks!

DO NOT RECOMMEND Resort...just got back

Although it is very beautiful...here are the pros and cons

We had 7 people going to the resort I think the cost was $10 no less anyway. And the driver said the resort doesn't always let the taxi's in.

That day it did

pros: beautiful beach, chairs, umbrellas, lunch cons: 1 kind of beer and it was nasty no cold, vodka nasty...and the rum drinks made me sick. Pool bar was not open. So we paid $60 for chair and lunch (grilled cheese) although friends had lunch at rest. of pulled pork just ok. If you are drinkers trying to get your money's worth forget it. For the view and beach a 10.

So, our driver did recommend church valley beach and jolly beach

• 1 month later...

We loved Jolly Beach Resort...our main goal was to have a beautiful beach and pool to use...we didn't expect top shelf alcohol or gourmet food (which is sure wasn't!) but we had the most relaxing day ever! I must have taken a million pics of the beach! We had beer, bloody mary's and a margarita...they were fine. It was our favorite port day! Would we stay there for a week? No. For the day...couldn't ask for more.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was quoted $70 round trip for 4 people by Gordon's Tour (only the ride...nothing else).

$18 for 4 people one way is $36 round trip.

Are you sure of this price?

Thanks.

Don

I was quoted $70 round trip for 4 people by Gordon's Tour (only the ride...nothing else).

$18 for 4 people one way is $36 round trip.

Are you sure of this price?

Thanks.

Don

Taxi prices in Antigua are fixed by law. The last official fare publication, from 2005, shows it as $16US so $18US sounds about right.

Are you sure you aren't being sold a tour?

Taxi prices in Antigua are fixed by law. The last official fare publication, from 2005, shows it as $16US so $18US sounds about right.

Are you sure you aren't being sold a tour?

No, we were originally going to do the zip line, but then asked for the price to Jolly Beach, Castaways from the ship and back.

Don

No, we were originally going to do the zip line, but then asked for the price to Jolly Beach, Castaways from the ship and back.

Don

It sounds like they are a tour operator rather than a taxi firm, so perhaps they aren't bound by the regulations. In that case, I suggest that you don't book with them. Just get a taxi from the dock.

It sounds like they are a tour operator rather than a taxi firm, so perhaps they aren't bound by the regulations. In that case, I suggest that you don't book with them. Just get a taxi from the dock.

Steve....I questioned his price and he asked me what I was quoted and told him $18 for 4 people to Jolly Beach each way.

He got back to me and said the fare now is posted at $24 each way for 4 people.

We accepted and thanks to you, we saved money and have a round trip ride from the pier to Jolley Beach.

Thanks again.

Don

• 3 weeks later...

Just back -

Jolly Beach - yes on the jet skis - lots of fun for $35 for 1/2 hr. They let you take them all around the bay. This bay had great wave action the day we were there, the water was really stirred up from recent storms. I don't think there's snorkeling here even if the conditions are good. We were only bothered by a couple of vendors, they went away after a firm head shake. Make sure you get a GOOD umbrella when they set you up - some of them are kind of falling apart and a good breeze will make them come undone. We ate at Castaways. I had a grilled chicken w/lettuce & tomato. Late that night & the next morning I had a bad stomach and some extended bathroom time.... :D Hubby had curry, son had a hot dog, they were both okay. Rum punch here was just "okay". (I tried a LOT of rum punches on this trip!)

Rating from 1-10....I give Jolly Beach a 7. (we like to snorkel, don't like crowds, scary-looking locals, vendors or rowdy partying, want good bathrooms and beach bar/restaurant.)

I love the way you have ranked the beach from 1-10. Thank you for coming back and posting your review and photos. It's very helpful when deciding what to do while in port.

No problem - it's always good to have first-hand info when choosing what to do! As for the ratings - to be honest, is there a "bad" beach? :) Our needs are pretty low - but we really don't like crowds (just enough people to "people-watch"), or a lot of pushy vendors (one time a guy was offended when my husband wouldn't buy his tshirts "What? You don't like my tshirts?" And kept pushing him....I hate that.) I also hate loud music and a bunch of rowdy people swearing, or kids that cry all day. We don't need powder-white sand (usually that means bad snorkeling).

Although, sitting here at my desk - even the beach I just described sounds pretty darn good! :D;)

Enjoy your vacation - I'm off to plan the next one!

No problem - it's always good to have first-hand info when choosing what to do! As for the ratings - to be honest, is there a "bad" beach? :) Our needs are pretty low - but we really don't like crowds (just enough people to "people-watch"), or a lot of pushy vendors (one time a guy was offended when my husband wouldn't buy his tshirts "What? You don't like my tshirts?" And kept pushing him....I hate that.) I also hate loud music and a bunch of rowdy people swearing, or kids that cry all day. We don't need powder-white sand (usually that means bad snorkeling).

Although, sitting here at my desk - even the beach I just described sounds pretty darn good! :D;)

Enjoy your vacation - I'm off to plan the next one!

Thanks for the info and pictures! So glad you enjoyed your time. Im curious how much you paid for taxi fare to Jolly? Thanks so much!!

Since our visit to Antigua was last Sunday we decided to spend the day at Jolly rather than Valley Church (since the Nest Beach Bar isn't open on Sunday). We took the #20 bus which runs round trip service between Jolly Beach and the West Bus Station downtown. Coming back we literally waited three minutes for the bus to arrive outside Jolly Harbor Resort's entrance. Bus service was excellent as always and the cost was the usual $1.50 pp each way. When we return in January we will be going to Valley Church Beach on the #22 bus.

Edited by Host Kewlguy