Anybody ever get food poisoning on the ship?

Mr. Y

Hey gang.

One of my hosses' wife was wondering about the food situation on the ship. We're setting off in two weeks and she was wondering if there is any food to look out for. Is the food always fresh on the ship? Is there anything we should watch out for? Is eating a pizza at 3 am dangerous? Are the omelets well cook? Anybody get a bad steak? Are the salads sitting out all day? What is something safe to eat? Anybody ever get mercury poisoning from the sushi on the ship?

Thanks gang.

Hey gang.

One of my hosses' wife was wondering about the food situation on the ship. We're setting off in two weeks and she was wondering if there is any food to look out for. Is the food always fresh on the ship? Is there anything we should watch out for? Is eating a pizza at 3 am dangerous? Are the omelets well cook? Anybody get a bad steak? Are the salads sitting out all day? What is something safe to eat? Anybody ever get mercury poisoning from the sushi on the ship?

Thanks gang.

ugggh... GO GANG!!

buckwheat out........

I guess not or else you would see ambulances lined up to take passengers off the ship after each cruise. The CDC inspects the ship's annually and gives them a rating. These results are posted on the CDC's website. All foods onboard the ships are taken onboard in the USA for ships sailing from here. They have to meet US and USDA standards for food quality.

If you are so worried, I would recommend taking a Behind the Fun tour. Their food preparation standards are better than what you will do at home. Everything is segregated so that you dont have cross-contamination.

BTW, most cases of gastronomical problems are caused by people eating foods they are not used to or over-indulgence.

Dave

Hey gang.

Thanks gang.

Let me tell ya Mr Y, you and your hosses go eat everything in sight and

don't worry about it.

Take along a big bottle of immodium with you. Don't go asking for it

just because things aren't working like back at home, or you and your

hosses might end up quarantined to your cabins..but you know if

you are really sick, then go get help.;)

(btw generic Immodium at Wal*Mart is $5.88 for a bottle of 48)

This website has a wealth of information about diseases and health issues on cruise ships:

cruisejunkie.com

While you're there click the "Centre for Disease Control Ship Inspection Scores" link and you can view the actual inspections and what was found.

On a side note, I talked to my brother-in-law last year and they go on all inclusives every year. Apparently is is quite common for them to be sick a day or two while they are there. I was shocked. A couple years ago, my brother and his wife went away to an all inclusive for 2 weeks. He was sick for 2 days and she got so sick that she almost ended up i the hospital. She was 2 months before she was back feeling normal. So from what I've seen, cruise ships are very clean.

thanks gang. After reading the responses I feel quite confident about the food and will pass this along to my hosses.

Thanks again, gang.

Mr Y,

Please forgive my ignorance. What's a 'hosses?' :confused: Seriously. Don't know and have no clue.

Look out for food bought in ports, especially from street vendors.

Cruise ships sailing from the US are subjected to regular inspections by the CDC. You can go to their web site and look at the scores for various ships and the inspection reports. Take a look at a typical inspection report. I think you will agree that cruise ships are held to standards that are at least as high as your local restaurants, likely higher. Cruise lines go to great lengths to minimize the risk of anyone suffering from spoiled or poorly stored or prepared food.

Remember, one ingredient could sicken hundreds if not thousands of people. No way does a cruise line want this to happen. After all sick people don't drink alcohol, don't gamble, don't buy shore excursions, etc.

If by fresh you mean is it always prepared shortly before service then generally yes. Many of the ingredients are fresh as in not frozen, canned or otherwise preserved although I suspect that most proteins are cooked from frozen. There is always yummy fresh fruit.

Often a pizza will be fresh out of the oven at 3 am. If you don't like what is already cooked, ask for something else.

Omelets are as well cooked as you ask them to be.

Never heard of anyone getting a spoiled steak. There are occasional complaints of a tough, fatty or overcooked steak that appear in reviews on this board. For the most part people enjoy the steaks served aboard. Especially those served in the specialty restaurants.

No the salads do not sit out all day. Believe it or not cruise lines employ professional and professionally trained food preparers and handlers. As a rule they do not cut corners.

You may safely eat anything served aboard the ship to which you are not allergic.

In order to get mercury poisoning from the sushi served anywhere one would have to eat only sushi for all three meals of every day for several months, if not years. Simply put you will not be able to eat enough sushi while aboard to get mercury poisoning. And if it is a real concern you can simply avoid eating sushi. They serve salmon in the dining room most nights. You may want to avoid it as well.

As to the safety of the sushi, if I recall correctly it is entirely safe as none of the protein is served raw.

Assure your bosses wife that unless she requires haute cuisine she will not have a problem finding enjoyable food. Nor is she likely going to observe poor food handling practices.

Hey Broberts,

Thanks for the info. Great info. I just want to take every precaution necesary for making this a great trip. The last thing me or one of my hosses want to do is coping with a bad stomach. I like the the pepto bismol idea, but I usually carry a little beano with me to spray on my vegetables at lunch and dinner.

Thanks, Hosses!

I will say in Dec08, on the Glory, I swear I had food poisoning. We ate in the MDR for b'fast on our second morning and I had the Eggs Benedict. Well, by dinner that night I was not in good shape. I lived off of white rice and ginger ale the whole week. Stayed in bed while my DH and kids went to St. Thomas. By the end of the week I had some energy back, but still felt like dump. The good news... I lost 7 pounds that week. Let's just say when we sail the Pride in Jan11, I will NOT be eating the Eggs Benedict.

The only cruise (and I've been on 20+) that I have ever heard of anyone complain of food related sickness occurred with cruise dinner tablemates. They had eaten food from a Mexican vendor- tacos at a mayan ruin in Mexico. If you eat on the ship you'll be great. We don't eat off the ship at 3rd world ports and drink bottled beer or bottled pop in those ports. Now others eat in restaurants in these ports and are fine but it is a risk because of water standards.

Anybody ever get mercury poisoning from the sushi on the ship?

I had to laugh about that question...you would have a better chance of getting mercury poisoning from a tuna fish salad sandwich than from eating sushi on or off a cruise ship.

You and your hossses (and Mrs. Hoss- LOL!) will all be fine and have a wonderful time. Just use the same common sense you would use while eating in a local restaurant (if you order a chicken dish and it is undercooked- don't eat it, don't order runny eggs like sunny side up, etc).

Oh, and from the sound of it- don't eat tacos from a street vendor in Mexico...;)

Take care,

Diana:)

Hey gang.

Thanks gang.

(refer to previous threads) They only serve bread and water in the brig on board. In Mexico you will have to supply your own food after the cops lock you up.

I will say in Dec08, on the Glory, I swear I had food poisoning. We ate in the MDR for b'fast on our second morning and I had the Eggs Benedict. Well, by dinner that night I was not in good shape. I lived off of white rice and ginger ale the whole week. Stayed in bed while my DH and kids went to St. Thomas. By the end of the week I had some energy back, but still felt like dump. The good news... I lost 7 pounds that week. Let's just say when we sail the Pride in Jan11, I will NOT be eating the Eggs Benedict.

Ever again!!!! or just on this sailing?? or are you concerned that they have some contaminated Eggs Benedict left over from the Glory 13 months ago that they are going to try to pass off as fresh on your Pride sailing???

I understand how being as sick as you were had a negative effect on your enjoyment of your Glory cruise, but really, if you're serious don't you think this is a bit of an over reaction?

After 18 cruises I've probably had eggs benedict 100+ times and I've never gotten sick (I'm sorry you did). But you would think that if there is a fleet wide issue with the way Carnival is preparing this dish that I would have had an issue at least once.

Archived