ship time vs cozumel time

ukiecruzer

Cozumel will be on central standard time, UTC-6

Florida will be on eastern daylight time, UTC-4

Mobile, New Orleans and Galveston will be on central daylight time, UTC-5

Some ships change time, some don't. You don't mention what ship you will be sailing so I don't know what more to tell you.

Happy Sails! :)

So when I arrive in Cozumel on florida time 10am it will be 9am cozumel time

No......on March 22, 2010 Cozumel (central standard time) will be two hours behind the Florida departure cities (eastern standard time). This doesn't mean ship time will be two hours ahead of local time in Cozumel. It is possible the Dream will change time back one hour, halving the time difference. The Dream is so knew I cannot find a set of Western Caribbean Capers to check.

That should be correct. When we sailed out of Miami last year, our ship stayed on Miami time the whole trip. We had to be back onboard at 5pm---but it was only 4pm in Cozumel.

When did you sail?

The OP must contend with the discrepancy between Daylight Saving Time in the USA and in Mexico.

The United States will move the clocks forward in early March. Mexico doesn't change clocks until early April, like the USA used to do. During most of March Cozumel is two hours behind Florida, not one.

that brings up a good question. does the ship change times as they move ports or do they keep to the time zone they left in?

anyone? (conquest, btw)

During the winter months when Galveston is using central standard time, the Conquest moves the clock ahead one hour on Monday night, then moves the clock back one hour on Thursday night after leaving Grand Cayman. After Galveston switches to daylight saving time next month the Conquest will cease making any time changes until the fall. The reason for this is as follows.

Jamaica is in the eastern time zone but does not observe daylight saving time.

Grand Cayman is in the eastern time zone but does not observe daylight saving time

Cozumel is in the central time zone but does observe daylight saving time, just not on the same dates as Galveston.

This means that once Cozumel makes the change in early April, all three ports as well as Galveston are using the same time. During March Cozumel will be one hour behind ship time on Conquest as well as one week in early November.

Confused? :D

During the winter months when Galveston is using central standard time, the Conquest moves the clock ahead one hour on Monday night, then moves the clock back one hour on Thursday night after leaving Grand Cayman. After Galveston switches to daylight saving time next month the Conquest will cease making any time changes until the fall. The reason for this is as follows.

Grand Cayman is in the eastern time zone but does not observe daylight saving time

Cozumel is in the central time zone but does observe daylight saving time, just not on the same dates as Galveston.

This means that once Cozumel makes the change in early April, all three ports as well as Galveston are using the same time. During March Cozumel will be one hour behind ship time on Conquest as well as one week in early November.

Yep! I read and re-read that about 10 times before I caught the "confused" remark. Then, of course I laughed out loud (forgive the pun). I guess my question is (and since I've already had somewhat of this discussion with an excursion outfit in Grand Cayman), I'm sailing Feb 21, 2010 on the Conquest. I need to know if I need to adjust my watch manually or just try to remember time changes/differences myself. Which, if my ESP is correct, may be difficult since I'll probably be about 3-4 sheets to the wind at that point.

Thanks in advance,

On the Feb 21, 2010 sailing, the Conquest will move the clock ahead one hour on Monday night. It will be published in the ship newspaper, the Carnival Capers as well as announced on board. Monday night is Captain's Party night (first elegant night) so remember if you stay out late you will lose an hour also. Tuesday is the second sea day so you will easily recover. Ship time will match local time in both MoBay and Grand Cayman. On Thursday night the clocks will move back one hour so you can party late and still be up early for your day in Cozumel where ship time and local time will also match.

Hope that clears things up for your Feb 21, 2010 sailing on Carnival Conquest. :)

When did you sail?

The OP must contend with the discrepancy between Daylight Saving Time in the USA and in Mexico.

The United States will move the clocks forward in early March. Mexico doesn't change clocks until early April, like the USA used to do. During most of March Cozumel is two hours behind Florida, not one.

We sailed in early April....so I guess it may have been after they switched???? I guess the OP should just be sure to check the time carefully when they leave the ship. :D

Edited by CruiseLover824

That's good to know. I cruise on april 11th and I was wondering if the time zone will change in Cozumel.

Thanks!:D

Hi,

We will also be in Cozumel March 19th ( carnival valor ) and tour cy i mailed said that time difference is 1 hour ...... ( same case for Cayman, Roatan, Belize )

I am not sure if this helps you but for carnival valor it means that in Cozumel it is 1 hour earlier than ship's time .....

have a great cruise

I did some checking on the Valor and found a set of Capers from last March 22, doing the same western itinerary.

On the cover near the bottom sunrise and sunset are listed for Cozumel. We can use this as a proxy for ship time. For Cozumel on March 26, 2009 sunrise was 7:47 am, sunset was 7:59 pm.

Using the time and date tool on http://www.timeanddate.com we can check what local time was on that date. The chart shows sunrise at 5:46 am and sunset at 6:01 pm. Link

The difference is two hours between ship time and local time in Cozumel and will remain so until April 4, when Cozumel moves clocks ahead one hour.

Carnival_Valor-Capers-26Mar09-a-Cozumel.jpg

Edited by yst347

Okay, so for October 17th sailing, there would not be a change. Is that right? Thank-you.

ask the uniformed agent at the end of the pier for the time. then compare it to your watch, which will be of course set for 'ship time', as you want to be sure you are on time to be back at the ship.

Freedom left two behind in Cozumel in October...they caught up to us at the next port. Yahoos had a LEETLE too much fun at Carlos and Charlies. :eek: Thankfully, Carnival staff managed to get into their rooms in order to retrieve their passports to leave with security at the port dock. The only thing they left the ship with was their S & S cards. Good thing one of them had memorized his credit card number in order to purchase airfare..but had a devil of a time remembering his CCV number...

Okay, so for October 17th sailing, there would not be a change. Is that right? Thank-you.

Yes, no time change on the ship and local time matches ship time in all three ports.

Cozumel goes off daylight saving time on Oct. 31, so you beat the time change issue by a week. :D

Yes, no time change on the ship and local time matches ship time in all three ports.

Cozumel goes off daylight saving time on Oct. 31, so you beat the time change issue by a week. :D

Awesome. Thanks so much & makes it less confusing for me. LOL.

not so. We cruised the 24th to the 31st and had time changes to deal with..ship time was different than port time.