San Diego Hotel - Which dowtown hotel is better?

trvllover

For our last cruise we stayed at the HI At The Bay (not Bayside- they are different). Nice location and views. They were a short distance from downtown, but had a free shuttle running frequently downtown and to the port.

We will be back in San Diego in a couple of weeks just for a weekend get away and I won the W downtown on Priceline. I have not read anything about that one here. But the reviews are good on trip advisor and it is a 4* for $80 per night.:cool:

Chuanjo, the only trouble with your map link is that is does not show any hotels near the cruise port, only hotels in the downtown gaslamp quarter which is about a mile away .

Actually, that is not correct. The cruise ships dock right next to the Midway, which is near the center of the map, far left. The HI is not rated high enough to be shown on this map.

The map is a GOOD map but the OP asked about hotels close to the pier and none are shown. These hotels are supposedly from the Trip Advisor Web site's list in order of popularity which does not always mean "best".

Also they have ****s which are confusing since the***s don't mean that the hotel is a 5***** hotel in the normal sense. It just means that people writing reviews have rated the hotel on a list of items.

I have never seen that web site before so it is interesting that another web site is using info from Trip Advisor.

Can't tell you which is better, but can give you an honest report about BW Bayside. We stayed there in December 2009.

Free pick-up at airport.

Free drop-off at cruiseport (sign up when you check into hotel)

Free breakfast.

Walking distance (2-3 blocks) to Little Italy.

Hotel was clean; people at the desk were friendly and helpful.

Would definitely recommend it. (and we paid $91 including tax!! for the one night)

Hope this helps.

Vicki

I've never stayed at either, but as far as location, both are safe and equally close to the cruise terminal.

I would prefer the Best Western for the location. It's two blocks down India Street to Littly Italy, which has lots of great dining. You're also slightly closer to the Gaslamp district, and other hotels and restaurants if you're interested in nightlife (W hotel with their sandy bar, Karl Strauss Brewing Co).

The Hampton Inn is on Pacific Coast Hwy, which is a busier street. The back of the hotel is on the train tracks. It is also 2 blocks from Little Italy. But their ad does mention a rooftop pool with views of the bay, which you won't get at the Best Western.

It all depends what you want to do when you get here!

Thank you everyone for responding! I've stayed at Humphrey's in the past and was wondering about the downtown hotels! This is such a great board. I always walk away with great links and a variety of opinions! Thank you everyone!

Can't tell you which is better, but can give you an honest report about BW Bayside. We stayed there in December 2009.

Free pick-up at airport.

Free drop-off at cruiseport (sign up when you check into hotel)

Free breakfast.

Walking distance (2-3 blocks) to Little Italy.

Hotel was clean; people at the desk were friendly and helpful.

Would definitely recommend it. (and we paid $91 including tax!! for the one night)

Hope this helps.

Vicki

I've never stayed at either, but as far as location, both are safe and equally close to the cruise terminal.

I would prefer the Best Western for the location. It's two blocks down India Street to Littly Italy, which has lots of great dining. You're also slightly closer to the Gaslamp district, and other hotels and restaurants if you're interested in nightlife (W hotel with their sandy bar, Karl Strauss Brewing Co).

The Hampton Inn is on Pacific Coast Hwy, which is a busier street. The back of the hotel is on the train tracks. It is also 2 blocks from Little Italy. But their ad does mention a rooftop pool with views of the bay, which you won't get at the Best Western.

It all depends what you want to do when you get here!

Cruiser429 and Drifting Happily, thanks so much for the input too on the BW. I think I know where I am going to stay! :)

NOT exactly. The map is a bit confusing because it shows the Santa Fe Station and the coaster, in a different location from the Amtrak station when they are really one and the same.

The Cruise Terminal on your map is the building sticking out opposite where YOU show the Santa Fe Station . It would be at the end of B street if that street went all the way through to the harbor. The trouble is that Google maps are not always correct.

If you put the Holiday Inn San Diego on the Bay into Google you can see that the cruise port is on the other side of the street and down(south) just a bit.

It won't matter really as I think we are building new port terminals anyway.

The Best Western Bayside is located at 555 N Ash and Harbor Blvd ( 5 blocks N or the Terminal), while the Holiday Inn on the Bay ( across from Terminal is at the corner of Ash & N Harbor). The HI on the Bay is not directly across from the SD Cruise Terminal but 1/2 block West of it. There is a parking lot directly across from the Terminal and i read a new Terminal is being built.

The Gaslamp Quarter is just a very short taxi ride away from the terminal.

After staying at the Holiday Inn across from the terminal, I'd not recommend it even though the location is ideal. My husband and I both agree, it's worth the few extra $ spent to take a taxi and stay in a nicer property.

Priceline a downtown hotel 4* and bid, say around $75-80, you may get lucky and stay in a very nice hotel :)

The Gaslamp Quarter is just a very short taxi ride away from the terminal.

After staying at the Holiday Inn across from the terminal, I'd not recommend it even though the location is ideal. My husband and I both agree, it's worth the few extra $ spent to take a taxi and stay in a nicer property.

Priceline a downtown hotel 4* and bid, say around $75-80, you may get lucky and stay in a very nice hotel :)

Thanks! I thought I had read others say that too. I will need to check and see what 4* hotels are in the downtown and the Gaslamp Quarter. :D

Archived