Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

And on You tube in a nightgown...........

We are driving in the morning of so we should get to the port around 10:30am. Kathy says she is leaving at 9:45 so that should put them getting there around the same time.

Dave

That made it to you tube huh?? LOL!!!

I'll be there Thursday night. See you on the ship :)

Can I buy beer for my 18 years old son on the ship? I know here in Ohio it is legal for parent, guardian or spouce of legal age to by it for them. Please no negative responses about this being wrong. Please keep opinions to yourself.[/quo

If someone is old enough to fight for their country they are old enough to drink if they feel like it. Ok, maybe not legally, but that is about as rediculous as bank executives being given huge bonuses after the rest of us had to bail them out. I have always let my children over 16 drink in moderation ( a toast at Christmas, a Wedding, special occasion) and at 18 as long as they stayed home upon my discretion. My children now don't think drinking is anything exciting. We will be going on a cruise in May and I have no doubt that my husband and I will consume more than them. They are now 18, 23, & 24. I feel we have taken the excitement out of doing somethng they shouldn't do.

Security was PO'd. Told him that if they saw him with another alcoholic beverage, son and I would be off the ship.

& believe me.....They will, i saw them put a mother & son off the ship in Jamaica cause Mom, after being asked several times to stop buying her son drinks, did not.

AND...who the heck found this old thread anyway..lol

Even if an 18 year old is allowed to drink in Ohio with parental consent, you still can't buy him or her a drink at a restaurant

I DO know what I am talking about- I live in Cincinnati and I am 25- hasn't been that long since it was an issue I had an interest in. The person who is DRINKING the beverage is the one carded. Buy a drink for your son in a bar and see how quickly it becomes a problem. Of course, that's if you are caught. And, if you buy two drinks, they are going to card two people...

My fiance and i went out a couple months ago and the server thought he was using a fake ID (he looks nothing like his 5 year old photo- no facial hair, no glasses and 75 lbs lighter) and not only would they not serve him, they refused to serve me because they didn't want me to supply to him. And he's 26!

Sorry I didn't spell it out better...

LOL, you spelled it out fine. You were just wrong.

I'm sorry for your loss, I really am, but you're right, you have no clue, adults also drive drunk. My friend was killed by an adult drunk driver, another one ended up permanently disabled because of an adult drunk driver. Drunk driving is stupid, no matter how old or whether the person is legal to drink or not. The thing is, you need to be taught responsibility. My parents started giving me a little bit of wine on the holidays when I was around 10 years old. Alcohol was never really forbidden, and it wasn't taboo. And when I say a bit of wine, they would usually fill up a shot glass with wine, and I would drink half of it.

When I was around 15/16, my mom would buy me a drink or 2 on the cruise if I wanted. My parents bought a bottle of wine for dinner, and the waiter said if they wanted, he could bring an extra glass, but he would not be able to pour the wine for me since I was underage. If my parents chose to pour it, then it was fine. I'm sure technically it was still not allowed, but who was going to report it? Our waiter told us to do that if I wanted some wine. And because I was pretty much always allowed to have alcohol, I learned how to drink it responsibly. I never saw the appeal in going out to get drunk, or going to some random person's basement for some nasty beer, when I knew if I wanted it, my parents would very happily give me some nice wine or beer.

So to the OP, technically according to Carnival's rules, you can get kicked off for buying someone underage alcohol, but seriously, who is going to report you if the kid is not getting drunk? As long as he's not being loud and disruptive, nobody will even know if he's 18 or 21 anyway.

you had me until I read the sections highlighted in red...not judging, just not agreeing 100%.

I'm raising the last of my 3 sons and while i followed the same basic M.O. as ur parents (slow exposure to 1/2 glass of vino /champagne on holidays, etc. so it's not a huge deal once my sons hit their teens). It's part of european culture that my parents/grandparents partook but, only as a celebration or big family gathering when the home-made stuff would be carted out from the basement & everybody would have a toast. I wouldn't dream of buying a 16 y.o. kid a drink or 2, home or away. It's a fine line for parents to toe since technically it is against the stated liquor ordinances

Talking technical, DH has a CDL license he carried over from military days even though he doesn't drive truck any more, figuring it might come in handy some day. PA states he is over the limit with BAC of .04 even if caught when driving personal vehicle (for his 'standard' body weight = 1 drink over an hour's time is easily above .05)...guess who is the designated driver in our house:rolleyes:?

I feel for all those who have lost loved ones, must be devastating. My middle DS who is a policeman says he'll never get used to knocking on the door in the middle of the night notifying both the victims' and the at-fault drivers' families.:(

And you're sphere is not the entire country. :p Point being, the guys (and girls) who are over there are exceptional, and if I could buy them all beers I would. But I can't.

also, there is no draft...so those over there volunteer to be there.....and that is more than I would be able to do...that is for sure.

also, there is no draft...so those over there volunteer to be there.....and that is more than I would be able to do...that is for sure.

I think an argument could be made that those too young to make responsible choices regarding alcohol could also be too young to make responsible choices about taking up arms.

I personally have no such qualms.

I think an argument could be made that those too young to make responsible choices regarding alcohol could also be too young to make responsible choices about taking up arms.

I personally have no such qualms.

I would never be able to serve..even with a draft....couldn't and wouldn't point a gun.....they would just not be able to take me into the service

I would never be able to serve..even with a draft....couldn't and wouldn't point a gun.....they would just not be able to take me into the service

That misses the point.

If youngsters are drafted they are simply doing the will of their elders. Having an all volunteer force of 18 year-olds (even 17 year-olds) and up says these youths are mature enough to take up arms and when necessary kill the enemies of our government.

In my view a society that believes 17 or 18 year-olds are mature enough to make this kind of decision looks quite foolish saying simultaneously they are too immature to enjoy an adult beverage responsibly.

On our last cruise, RC somehow screwed up and gave our 20 year old daughter an adult seapass card. (there are different graphics.) I have no idea how it happened, because I'm the one who fills out the info online before we sail, and I know the info (including her passport info) was correct. Anyway, we were in the Windjammer grabbing some lunch after we got on board, and she said to us, "I think I can buy drinks with this card!" She left the table for a few minutes and returned with a Pina Colada in hand.

She was sailing with our family, and my husband and I decided not to say anything. She'd already been living away at college for a year, she's a really good kid, and we knew she wasn't going to go nuts because her card was linked to our seapass account. She would order the DOD, and when we were poolside in Cabo she had a few Corona's with me.

Anyway, she came home with a great story.

I feel for all those who have lost loved ones, must be devastating. My middle DS who is a policeman says he'll never get used to knocking on the door in the middle of the night notifying both the victims' and the at-fault drivers' families.:(

Wow, what a horrible part of his job. Agony.:(

That misses the point.

If youngsters are drafted they are simply doing the will of their elders. Having an all volunteer force of 18 year-olds (even 17 year-olds) and up says these youths are mature enough to take up arms and when necessary kill the enemies of our government.

In my view a society that believes 17 or 18 year-olds are mature enough to make this kind of decision looks quite foolish saying simultaneously they are too immature to enjoy an adult beverage responsibly.

This is correct. There really can be no argument with the above statement. If they're old enough to put on the uniform and take a bullet, then by damn, they're old enough to drink. This is simply not arguable.

Look at WW2 bomber pilots. 19-20 yrs old and look at what they did.

MADD has become a problem.

Last cruise I ordered a drink of the day each pool day for my 20 yr old son and I. There were tons more enebriated young twenties and thirties around us than my husband and my son and I with our fun foo-foo drink each day. My husband used to go grab a pizza and beers for the two of them late at night and of course in Mexico and other ports the kids can order for themselves. I've seen tons more offensive behavior on cruises with legal adults than with young adults traveling with their parents. Generally regulations get put in place because of the stupid people.

I lost a son to a drunk driver. Some parts of life are not beautiful.

My parents almost lost this son in Vietnam. But while I could drink there, I could not drink in my home state [legally]. I never felt one had anything to do with the other. Not being allowed to buy a drink was nothing, spitting idiots that smelled bad [and I knew bad smells] screaming "baby killer," might have been a distraction from the liquor laws.:mad::o:D

My son was killed in europe by a drunk teen driver who had drinks with his parents permission. You have no clue, being more conservative and my son would still be alive. Absolute most ridiculous post ever.

I am sorry about your son.

I believe the laws of the drinking ages should be lowered.. I believe that we as parents should teach our children to drink responsibly just like we teach them to drive responsibly and be a respectable person. I believe all the problems out there with under age drinking stems from being FORBIDDEN to drink. College parties, binge drinking... grad parties... if we taught our kids and didn't make it forbidden until they were 21.. think about it.. think about what could change... In my honest Opinion.. And this means by NO means I am wanting my kids to be alcoholics. In Europe the age is MUCH lower.......

Agree. Is this color close to Gold?

that is how it goes here as well...and everyone is turning out great. It is a pity though when parents supply drinks at 16yo parties...so that their kids are considered the popular ones.

Mardi Gras, 2007. Had Jello shots, whole family. DD, age 16 at the time, found some friends, invited them over to our spot, and proceded to offer them Jello Shots. I removed the "poison" from her friends hands and told DD, "You are my child, they are not, deal with the embarrassemt".

and require a HS diploma...might lower the drop out rate. :cool:

or raise the use of public trasportaion. :rolleyes:

Best idea I have read.

Can I buy beer for my 18 years old son on the ship? I know here in Ohio it is legal for parent, guardian or spouce of legal age to by it for them. Please no negative responses about this being wrong. Please keep opinions to yourself.

Sorry for posting my Opinion but to me old enough to serve in the military old enough to drink, and if he or she has spending ability on ther s&s the they can buy there own I was never once asked for ID.

The United States of puritanical oppressive America is pretty much the only place where 21 is the legal drinking age. Almost every other country in the world, including all of CCL's ports-of-call, has a drinking age of 18. Therefore, as soon as you leave US waters, 18 is a perfectly legal age to drink. It may be against CCL's policy, but certainly not illegal once you're out of the country.

In my experience of traveling on CCL with my 19 and 20 year old niece and nephew, I went on three cruises with them last year and bought them plenty of drinks on each of those cruises with no problem. And of course since 18 is legal in all of the ports-of-call, no problem there. Note that they will not be able to purchase their own drinks on their Sail & Sign cards, but as long as you are buying it should not be a problem.

Don't ask, don't tell!

Just off Ecstasy. Had (3) 18 y.o. kids amongst our large group. They were carded each time any of them attempted to buy alcohol aboard ship and were refused. We appreciated that especially since one of the kids was on an anti-seizure medication. They tried...those rotten little shi_s. They have plenty of time to grow up to be alcohol smugglers later in life :D.

I was just on a Carnival ship with both of my parents and I am 20. There were all kinds of teenagers walking around with alcohol and no one seemed to mind. We made friends with some of our waiters, and they were always getting drinks for my parents and always asked if I wanted something. So my dad would just be like yeah she does what do you want, and I would tell him, and my parents would hand him their sail and sign card and he would be back with my our drinks no problem. I even went to the bar a few times, and they still never questioned me. I had a really good time, and I was drunk most of the time...haha. When we got of from Mexico I drank a lot and went back on the ship because I was legal in Mexico obviously. I think the worst they would do if they caught him drinking would just say you know knock it off no more alcohol, and if they caught him again they might do something worse. If he doesn't flaunt it and become reallllllly obnoxious then you will be fine I am sure.

Where have I said I'm a big drinking advocate? I drink, yes. That's my choice. I've never suggested that anyone else here give their kid a drink or that they need a drink. Drinking is a personal decision. Then you have a mightly cavalier attitude about it. You remind me of those temperance people back in the day. Most alcoholics I've encountered -- including more than a few close family members -- view alcoholism as *THEIR* disease, *THEIR* problem. Not society's. Are you also against your people drinking coffee? Because that's addictive. How about processed flour and sugar? Also addictive. Soda? Addictive. Or do you just demonize booze because it's easy?

Is this a smoking thread??? LOL

I can tell you we had the physical strength (too scared not too). I went in the Marines weighing one pound above the minimum weight at 119lbs. My job was a Field Radio Operator. That means I carried my regular ruck sack (60lbs) along with a PRC-77 radio (13.75 lbs), KY-57 Crypto gear (10 lbs), spare batteries (8 lbs), M-16 rifle (7.8 lbs), Model 1911 pistol (2.5lbs) and all its associated ammunition. When I say radio, I dont mean the little small ones they carry today.

As far as alcohol, if you have never been exposed to it, you dont know how to handle it or how you will react to it.

Dave

Thanks so much for your service... once again IF you can die for your country at 18 then you are an ADULT... period. At 18 you should have ALL legal rights of an ADULT. (thanks again!)

Well, my 21-year old son (and his friends) are a heck of a lot stronger and more mature now than they were at 18.

I bet no one in your family has ever served in the military....

I always thought the age was 21 in all states and that was it. This just made me have to check so I went to ask dot com to see. This is what I found...much to my surprise.

Alcohol consumption by youth in the United States of America is an umbrella term for alcohol consumption by children and adults under 21 years of age across the country.

Although the minimum legal age to purchase alcohol is 21 in all states (see National Minimum Drinking Age Act), the legal details vary greatly. While a few states completely ban alcohol usage for people under 21, the majority have exceptions that permit consumption.[1]

I've always let my kids when they reached 18 to drink in front of me at home and home to stay for the evening. The things you learn on CC....Its nice to know it was legal doing so.

Archived