Warnemunde to Rostock and back???

TomAndJane

We are looking for good restaurants where the locals eat (not touristy places) in Warnemunde, Rostock and Schwerin.

Any recommendations??

Thanks.

quote=Nasenbaer;24564963]For restaurants I would also say Ratskeller, I don't know Zur Kogge....and Alex's is a no no, been there many many times with a group of ladies and the service is slow and the food is mediocre. :)

Personally Warnemünde is full of many many great restaurants, with fish being the main speciality. As summer comes the Fish Markets stay open longer where you can get fish sandwiches. Though the people don't speak English you can just point, it normally works. The fish market is after the train stations but before the bridge over the canal. Take a right at Lila Bakerei when walking towards Warnemünde.

Schwerin.

Any recommendations??

In Schwerin I was in Kartoffelhus (Potato house):

2009Schwerin19-vi.jpg

It was cheap and you find a lot of dishes which were not replaced by "Western-Internationalized-Americanized" dishes like Burgers, Pasta, Pizza, Döner Kebab, Chop Choy etc... Many restaurants thought that they to make a transition from East to West...

But they had many dishes with typical East German flavours like:

Würzfleisch (seasoned meat):

2009Schwerin20-vi.jpg

Normally made of veal - but during the time of Communism and limited access to raw material it was somehow creative and tasty adjusted to the limits they had.

Also very typical for this part of Germany:

Sauerfleisch mit Bratkartoffeln

(Cold cour marinated pork in meat broth jelly with hot country fried potatoes)

2009Schwerin21-vi.jpg

Very local - very authentic - very cheap...

Check here to find the way:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/schwerin-germany-walking-and-public.html

http://www.kartoffelhaus-schwerin.de/home2.php

Regards

HeinBloed

Warnemunde

...Personally Warnemünde is full of many many great restaurants, with fish being the main speciality. As summer comes the Fish Markets stay open longer where you can get fish sandwiches. Though the people don't speak English you can just point, it normally works. The fish market is after the train stations but before the bridge over the canal. Take a right at Lila Bakerei when walking towards Warnemünde.

In Warnemünde around "Alter Strom" it's more touristic:

2010RostockWarnemuendeOrt33-vi.jpg

2010RostockWarnemuendeOrt37-vi.jpg

Freshly smoked fish - before the cruise ship arrives...

2010RostockWarnemuendeOrt38-vi.jpg

2010RostockWarnemuendeOrt31-vi.jpg

The closer you are around the lighthouse and beach - the more touristic - the more expensive - the more internationalized:

2010RostockWarnemuendeOrt22-vi.jpg

Like here: if you are in Warnemünde to eat Greek (Greek Greek - not American Greek)...

In case you prefer Filet-o-fish:

2010RostockWarnemuendeOrt32-vi.jpg

Rostock

Any recommendations??

Subject you are not limited to Northern German regional kitchen and you do not mind to be in a very touristic spot I can recommend:

http://www.haxenstadl.de/start.php

For this I do not have any pictures.

It's on the backside of the train station like an "oasis" in a desert of a typical Communist time-constructed concrete flat-wall-settlement...

You just exit the train station to Stadthalle/Südstadt:

2009RostockHbf04-vi.jpg

I would say the major difference between Northern and Southern German food:

In the North you more boil and steam

In the South you more fry and grill

So you get now an impression of predijuce of German food:

a great pork shank with Sauerkraut and potato dumplings...

2009Luebeck02-vi.jpg

That a Haxe (not from this restaurant).

Haxenstadl means the Pork Shank Inn.

The food war very good and cheap as it is addressed for locals.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 1 month later...

If we buy the train group day ticket for Rostock, I understand we have to validate it before we board the train at the beginning of our day. However, do we ever have to validate it again, for the trams or the return train journey? Or is just the first time enough?

If we buy the train group day ticket for Rostock, I understand we have to validate it before we board the train at the beginning of our day. However, do we ever have to validate it again, for the trams or the return train journey? Or is just the first time enough?

Only the first time. In this moment when there is a second stamp the ticket will become invalid.

The orange boxes at the platform:

2009WarnemuendeN0402-vi.jpg

Here you find the instructions to buy the ticket at the machine:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

Regards

HeinBloed

I know I have read this in Heinbloe's info, but cannot find it right now.

How long does it take to walk from Rostock's city center back to the train

station?

Many thanks in advance

When you are in a central shopping district between University Square and Market Square:

depending to your speed of walking and the way you choosed:

20-30 minutes.

Regards

HeinBloed

There seems to have been be a bit of confusion lately about which tickets are required for transport between Warnemuende and Rostock. Hope this clears things up.

Re Public Transport. There are two possibilities.

1. A single ticket (Einzelfahrkarte), cost 1.70euros, covers the full journey from Warnemuende to Rostock City Centre, ie. train ride from Warnemuende to the Central station and the tram ride to any of the 3 stops in the city centre. There is no such thing as a return ticket.

2. A day ticket (Tageskarte), cost 4.50euros, covers as many journeys as you like, all day on any public transport within Warnemuende/Rostock. Please note that the 'ferry' between Warnemuende and Rostock is a private tour boat not part of the public transport system.

So if you only want to go to the City and return obviously single tickets are the best value. This also gives the option of taking the boat, 8euro, one way. There are other routes which you can take to get back to the ship using a single ticket on the train and tram, the English lady in the Kropeliner Tor has some good ideas which give you a different view of the City and inner suburbs. Tickets can be bought from the machines on the station in Warnemuende and at the City tram stops. If you go into the ticket office make sure you do not ask for a return as they will then sell you a day ticket, an uneccessary 2.20 for a couple!

When you get off the train in Rostock go down one level to the concourse. There you will see stairs down to the trams. Take the stairs to platform A marked City, the sign is just above the stairway. Take a number 5 or a number 6 tram to any of the three city stops - Neuer Markt, Lange Str or Kroepeliner Tor.

Very Important Do not forget to validate your ticket in the little orange box at the beginning of the train platform in Warnemuende, you only have to do this once. Miss a train if you have to, there will be another in 10mins and it is better than a 40euro fine!! (bitter experience talking here). Have fun in Rostock. We love it, hope you will too.

• 11 months later...
Does anyone know how long it takes to Rostock from Warnemünde by taxi?

Hi, it takes between 20 mins and half an hour depending on the traffic, the cost is around 20 euros.

There are usually taxis waiting at the entrance to the cruise terminal building but if they are all taken there is another taxi rank located on the station. Walk through the underpass from the quay, straight ahead and you will see them.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni.

Thank you for your reply. We want to buy our own train tickets to Berlin and yet it doesn't seem possible to take it from Warnemünde all the way to Berlin, only Rostock. But there must be a way to change trains in Rostock. Anyway, it is cheaper than buying the excursion from Norwegian if we go 2nd class and do it ourselves.

Thank you for your reply. We want to buy our own train tickets to Berlin and yet it doesn't seem possible to take it from Warnemünde all the way to Berlin, only Rostock. But there must be a way to change trains in Rostock. Anyway, it is cheaper than buying the excursion from Norwegian if we go 2nd class and do it ourselves.

Train tickets to Berlin (regular showing way (origin and destination)) always include the ride from Warnemünde to Rostock.

BUT not if you are using passes (due to start of validity 09.00 hrs on weekdays or unlimited on weekends).

DIRECT trains is only available during peak-season early in the morning or noon.

But not possible for NCL-arrival. Mostly only HAL-guests can go on direct trains.

For return you can use the direct train back to Warnemünde.

Regards

HeinBloed

All long distance and Lander tickets will show the start point as Rostock rather than Warnemünde as they are valid from either the Rostock Central Station or any suburban Rostock station. Warnemünde is a suburb of Rostock, served by local trains (s-bahn) and, with the exception of a couple of trains a day, a change to a main line train is made at Central.

Hi, it takes between 20 mins and half an hour depending on the traffic, the cost is around 20 euros.

There are usually taxis waiting at the entrance to the cruise terminal building but if they are all taken there is another taxi rank located on the station. Walk through the underpass from the quay, straight ahead and you will see them.

Anni.

Hi Anni: Glad we were able to get together on our visit. Enjoyed Rostock and with your directions had no trouble finding our way back to the ship. Your town is worth the visit as is Warnemunde. This is a very different port for those of us who decided to forgo Berlin. Sorry we missed Schwerin as some of a pax enjoyed themselves visiting the castle.

Keep up the good work of advising travelers to your area.

Dave

Hi,

We were looking around for Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, with the Jagdschloss Gelbensande. Is it worth a visit, since I don't see any people here talking about it? Also I tried to search for traintickets and it displayed 20 euros per person for a return ticket from Rostock. Is that true?

Hi,

We were looking around for Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, with the Jagdschloss Gelbensande. Is it worth a visit, since I don't see any people here talking about it? Also I tried to search for traintickets and it displayed 20 euros per person for a return ticket from Rostock. Is that true?

Hi, I have not been there myself so cannot comment on the worth of a visit but here is what I know.

Gelbensande is about 15mins from Rostock Central station and within the Rostock Regional transport area (Gesamt-netz VVW) so a day ticket (Tageskarte) for 11.70 euros per person allows you to travel on all forms of transport within the area all day. Train service is two hourly from 9.01am.

The Jagdschloss web site is all in German but the pictures give a good idea of what can be seen. Opening hours; daily from 11am to 5pm. I believe it is about a 15 min walk from the station.

www.jagdschloss-gelbensande.de

Anni

Edited by rostocker

• 5 years later...
There seems to have been be a bit of confusion lately about which tickets are required for transport between Warnemuende and Rostock. Hope this clears things up.

Re Public Transport. There are two possibilities.

1. A single ticket (Einzelfahrkarte), cost 1.70euros, covers the full journey from Warnemuende to Rostock City Centre, ie. train ride from Warnemuende to the Central station and the tram ride to any of the 3 stops in the city centre. There is no such thing as a return ticket.

2. A day ticket (Tageskarte), cost 4.50euros, covers as many journeys as you like, all day on any public transport within Warnemuende/Rostock. Please note that the 'ferry' between Warnemuende and Rostock is a private tour boat not part of the public transport system.

So if you only want to go to the City and return obviously single tickets are the best value. This also gives the option of taking the boat, 8euro, one way. There are other routes which you can take to get back to the ship using a single ticket on the train and tram, the English lady in the Kropeliner Tor has some good ideas which give you a different view of the City and inner suburbs. Tickets can be bought from the machines on the station in Warnemuende and at the City tram stops. If you go into the ticket office make sure you do not ask for a return as they will then sell you a day ticket, an uneccessary 2.20 for a couple!

When you get off the train in Rostock go down one level to the concourse. There you will see stairs down to the trams. Take the stairs to platform A marked City, the sign is just above the stairway. Take a number 5 or a number 6 tram to any of the three city stops - Neuer Markt, Lange Str or Kroepeliner Tor.

Very Important Do not forget to validate your ticket in the little orange box at the beginning of the train platform in Warnemuende, you only have to do this once. Miss a train if you have to, there will be another in 10mins and it is better than a 40euro fine!! (bitter experience talking here). Have fun in Rostock. We love it, hope you will too.

Got to stop to thank you for this post even it has was so long ago you might never see this reply. I have been searching all day for this precise info and am so grateful to find it. Thanks again and I look forward to visiting Germany once again in a couple of weeks. :)

Got to stop to thank you for this post even it has was so long ago you might never see this reply. I have been searching all day for this precise info and am so grateful to find it. Thanks again and I look forward to visiting Germany once again in a couple of weeks. :)

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

As you say, the post is very old so the prices quoted are not the same. For up-to-date fares please see my web site.

Enjoy Germany, I am looking forward to my return too.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

We will be on the Regal Princess next summer and I am just looking at some options in ports. Your pictures are beautiful! :)

Tom

Here are a few or my pix of Warnemunde and Rostock to give you an idea of what's there

Rostock's main area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe381.jpg

Town Square in Rostock where you can just sit and relax, get a brew, or something to eat

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe407.jpg

Interesting shoe store in Rostock, shoes put on the steps to sell

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe387.jpg

Some of the more interesting buildings in Rostock

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe391.jpg

In Warnemunde along the main waterfront area

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster422.jpg

Down by the beach area, with the lighthouse and center

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe446.jpg

Just a tip. When we were in rostock, we stopped in for a beer. they served it in this great sort of glass mug. We asked if we could buy a couple for souvenirs. they sold us TWO for 4 euro's and it WAS a great souvenir.

You'll have a great time there.

Cheers

Len

• 1 year later...

Heinbloed,

I was told to ask you! We were just notified we will be now docking in Rostock pier which is an industrial area. How do we get to the Rostock City wall? Are there trams, busses etc? Thanks for your help.

When you are in a central shopping district between University Square and Market Square:

depending to your speed of walking and the way you choosed:

20-30 minutes.

Regards

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

I was told to ask you! We were just notified we will be now docking in Rostock pier which is an industrial area. How do we get to the Rostock City wall? Are there trams, busses etc? Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Warnemünde. I am just on NORWEGIAN GETAWAY and we visited today Rostock.

So here is the actual network map

http://www.verkehrsverbund-warnow.de/files/downloads/VVW-Netzplan_Rostock.pdf

The commuter train service is withdrawn.

So there is a bus in the near from the Ferry Terminal (Seehafen Fähre).

Bus 49 would take you to the Western Edge of the Historic City Center (Kröpeliner Tor):

Schedule from the Ferry Terminal to the City Center:

http://www.rsag-online.de/de/fahrplan/download/1212499

and back from the City Center to Ferry Terminal:

http://www.rsag-online.de/de/fahrplan/download/1212514

BUT bus runs during weekdays only every 60 Minutes and weekends only ever 120 minutes.

More on connecting transfer to tram via Dierkower Kreuz (frequent services to the City Center):

So Bus 19 need to connect to Trams 1, 2, 3, 4 to the City Center.

Bus 19 schedule to connecting point from the Ferry Terminal:

http://www.rsag-online.de/de/fahrplan/download/1207575

And back from Bus 19 from Dierkower Kreuz (connected by tram from City Center) back to your ship:

http://www.rsag-online.de/de/fahrplan/download/1211766

Hope it helps.

Regards

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

Hi, in addition to the services described in the previous post there is a bus service connecting with the train which runs between Rostock and Warnemuende. For details please see my web site. There is a page especially for those docking at piers LP41/42 in the commercial port.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com