Which cruise line?

brobrosmom

I personally like Princess because they have the itinerary I want. The fares are pretty reasonable too. However, I really don't think it matters, as I think any cruise line is great in Alaska:D. I would decide which itinerary you want then search to see which cruise line has it and is the most reasonable.

I agree I would choose by itinerary, but the ship obviously plays an important part in the decision so you will want to decide smaller or larger ship. The mixture of the crowd onboard (ages) is alot bigger spread for Alaska, even on HAL which I have been on a few times. Even though Im 25 enjoyed it very much and there were lots of younger people despite their reputation for an older crowd. They do Alaska very well!!

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to your question. All of the major cruiselines do a creditable job in Alaska and which line or ship is the right one for you may depend more on your individual taste than any other factor. HAL and Princess have been cruising in Alaska for the longest period of time but most of the other lines have been in Alaska long enough to offer you an excellent experience. All of the lines basically visit the same ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway or Sitka, perhaps Icy Strait Point and while both Princess and HAL have access to Glacier Bay, the other lines often include a cruise by Hubbard Glacier. Check out their brochures, compare itineraries, times in port, and the ships and their features. All of those factors may be more important than any endorsements from previous Alaskan cruisers who were very pleased with their specific choice of ships or lines.

Which cruise line would you suggest for an Alaskan cruise and why? :confused:

Sorry if this has been asked a million times!

Yes this does get asked often and the response is typically the same: Research Alaska. Study the ports and glaciers and decide which you are most interested in experiencing. THEN choose a cruise that will take you to those places, paying attention to how long you will be in each port with the different itineraries you are looking at. Longer is better. If the ship itself is more important to you than what is outside the ship, then you will have a different list of priorities to consider. Most going to Alaska are after the scenery outside the ship, and are not as concerned with the ship itself. However, there are those who will be miserable if the ship does not meet their expectations. So, research, research, research is the name of the game here.

do you want a 7-day roundtrip out of seattle? or vancouver?

OR do you want to do a 1-way between vancouver and steward or whittier? with a 1-way, do you want to do a cruisetour or a self-tour with add on days in the mainland?

some ships only do 1-ways, some only do round-trips. plus glacier viewing differs with each ship...research the glacier areas, if that is important to you.

with alaska, there are a lot of choices! too much to see with just one visit.

Archived