Too many bags??

cbressler76

Four of us.[ATTACH]145195[/ATTACH]

I hope that is for at least a 30 day vacation.

Going to Cancun next week for five nights and will only take a carry on each.

Seven night cruise and three nights in San Juan in December. One 22 inch plus carry for each.

last year on a 17 night Barcelona to Copenhagen one 25 inch and one carry on each.

Will be going to Tahiti in June and will most likely take one 25 inch for two of us and a carry on each.

The cruise line won't say anything about too many bags, but if you're asking my opinion.... I think that one suitcase for each adult is reasonable, but how much stuff do a 4 and 7 year old need that you can't put both of them in 1 suitcase? And their stuff is smaller than adult clothing, so it shouldn't take up that much room. Personally, I would say for 2 adults and 2 small children, I would think 3 bags is enough, 5 means you packed way too much stuff. But the ship won't turn you away, they'll take all 5 suitcases.

My DD goes thru twice as much clothes as I do on a cruise. Kids spill, play hard, get sweaty and generally need more than one outfit throughout the day.

I packed for four of us, for a 7 day, plus 2 days pre-cruise in Miami in 3 suitcases.

If something happens and there's a spill, pack some Tide-To-Go sticks or a small bottle of detergent to get the spill out in your bathroom sink.

Also, don't know what kind of "souvenir" shoppers you are, but I plan on each of us picking up atleast 2 tshirts along the way that can be counted into your wardrobe for the week.

The one thing I don't wear more than once are shorts worn in port. Who knows what I've sat in in taxi's or on benches or seats along the way, I'd much rather NOT fold those shorts and put them back in the closet with my other clean clothes. Blech. :eek:

I plan on wearing a swimsuit and coverup for most of the day during sea days and pack accordingly (except for the kids, who can't wear swimwear to Camp).

Shoes are another thing I cut way down on and it worked out well. 3 pair for everyone. A dress pair that would go with each dinner outfit, a pair of sport sandals and a pair of flip flops. Worked GREAT.

I think you are on target.....granted you will find once you are there that you will wear less than 1/2 the clothes you bring. I packed less this year and will again next year I brought back one smaller carry on with all clean clothes. Some of my "dirty" clothes where things we wore to dinner just once and changed out of after we dined. At home I would of hung it back up.

We along with many other wear swimwear and cover up most sea days and port days. Dinner clothes is whats tricky for me I like to pack all my nice clothes. The kids wore polos and nice long shorts or khakis normal nights. But can be doubled as another out for another day.

Remember they do sell space bags for travel ( they work great) They also do have coin laundry on the ship as well as having a laundry service.

Next year each person gets carry on size bag in my family and we wil check one baig bag for our snorkel gear and other things not allowed incabin on a flight. Granted you are not flying ( I think I read that) so for you the cost per bag is not a issue.

They also do have coin laundry on the ship.

And the washer and dryer now cost THREE DOLLARS EACH!:eek:

Better to over pack than to over pay for self service laundry. :cool:

And if you happen to be on the Miracle, you might find that you'll have some extra time on your hands to go out and find a laundromat at reasonable prices.

Thanks all for your advice!! If we were traveling on a plane.....I definately would have to repack.....I just have such messy boys.....:o.....and my paranoia.....more so my paranoia....lol....every time I try to down size, I just can't get rid of anything.....and I am one that goes through the house and throws/gives away all of the clutter in our house (this also angers my husband....lol...) You would think that I could make sure that we only had a couple of bags..... I'm definately showing my husband the pics because then maybe he would think I wasn't so bad....lol

I think you are on target.....granted you will find once you are there that you will wear less than 1/2 the clothes you bring. I packed less this year and will again next year I brought back one smaller carry on with all clean clothes. Some of my "dirty" clothes where things we wore to dinner just once and changed out of after we dined. At home I would of hung it back up.

We along with many other wear swimwear and cover up most sea days and port days. Dinner clothes is whats tricky for me I like to pack all my nice clothes. The kids wore polos and nice long shorts or khakis normal nights. But can be doubled as another out for another day.

Remember they do sell space bags for travel ( they work great) They also do have coin laundry on the ship as well as having a laundry service.

Next year each person gets carry on size bag in my family and we wil check one baig bag for our snorkel gear and other things not allowed incabin on a flight. Granted you are not flying ( I think I read that) so for you the cost per bag is not a issue.

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!! That might work!!

This is what we brought on our cruise last year for me, hubby, and DD-3. This was BEFORE we picked up our friend, my mom, her wheelchair, and all THEIR bags! LOL!

001wittebags-1.jpg

This is MOST of what the 5 of us we came home with:

CIMG0385-1.jpg

I'm going to show my husband these photos when he complains again about how much I am bringing!! lol :D

:eek: OMG!!!! I'll be showing my husband too - before he complains - lol!

You two are crackin' me up! :D

My hubby knows better than to complain. Mainly because he only has to pack his stuff, and he inevitably needs some of the "excess" stuff that I had the foresight to pack. Also, since we drive to the port, I figure we're restricted only by the amount of cargo space in the back of the truck. ;)

Half the clothes (for some, 1/4 the clothes) and twice the money. So if the boys get dirty?Little boys are supposed to get dirty! Do a quick rinse and let it dry. We got our kids (when they were young) 2 pair of the new flash dry material shorts and some tee shirts. A minute or two rinsing them out and they looked fine. Same with the new bathing suits- add a tee and they look like/are shorts. Rinse out the salt or chlorine and they are fine. And other than food it is a bit harder to get dirty on a ship- no dirt or grime around. The less I bring the happier I am- less to pick up in the cabin, less to pack/unpack, fewer morning decisions, less to cart around. But there are definately two schools of thought in packing- and the twains will never meet.

Have you been speaking to my husband?? lol:D They have accidents....like getting food all over their clothes....etc....so I bring them twice as many clothes.....yeah, I know.....I packed too many clothes....but I have a lot of what if something happens and I have to change.....lol....

I agree- I have a 3 yo and 7 yo and they never fail to spill stuff all over themselves...so we need to always pack a few "spare" outfits just in case ;)

I take one extra suit case that is usually empty when we board the ship except for a dozen or so cokes and a bottle of wine (all legal). If you buy any thing during the cruise, you need that extra suitcase for the return. Like pictures, liquor, T-shirts, Nic-Nacs, etc, etc.

And the washer and dryer now cost THREE DOLLARS EACH!:eek:

Better to over pack than to over pay for self service laundry. :cool:

Guess its a matter of personal prefrence.

For me who has to fly paying $6 for a load of clothes is way cheaper than the $15 per bag each way on a airplane. I could do lots of laundry or have it done for me for that kind of money.

I also hate dragging around more luggage than needed. Trying to roll bag and keep my eyes on my kids who are 9 and 14 but I still need to know where they are is worth the $6 to was and dry as well.

Then there is the fact the the rooms are only so big and have a few small drawers and some racks in the closet. I just dont like that much clutter in a small room.

Granted I still brough too much clothes this cruise but am getting better each time. Maybe by next trip I will have it to a science. Next year I will pack half and wash if need be. Just my opinion mind you.

Archived