Dress Code Solution!

Cindy-Sue

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen was a dress code enforced to the letter. I worked at a gentlemen's club in London. The dress code called for me to wear a jacket and tie. One day, a man wearing a turtleneck with a sports coat came in. He had to put on a tie over the turtleneck. We had ties and jackets behind the desk to lend men who did not have them but weren't prepared to deal with his turtleneck.

You guys had me really laughing - and on a freezing snowy day in Northeast PA, that's quite a feat! We're going on our 2nd X cruise in 2 weeks, and we'll have 2 nights formal, 2 nights "informal", and 3 nights casual. That's a decent mix for 7 nights.

But I agree with the folks who said that it all ends up causing a lot of packing problems! As much fun as it to dress up, my DH's only dress shoes are cordovan loafers or black wing tips - which weigh a ton! Then besides his one dark suit (forget renting a tux if you don't own one), should I pack him two different sports jackets? Or just go with navy both nights, and he can wear tan pants once, gray pants another. It is easy for us women to dress for "informal" nights, but I could also do without the hassles of packing two long dresses and their appropriate shoes and jewelry for formal nights....

As to the casual nights - I also wish that those who wear T-shirts and sloppy shorts or jeans shouldn't come to the main dining room. Those can be worn all day, and in the casual restaurant. Men should wear polo shirts, tropical rayons, or button down sport shirts. Women can follow the same rules, except add nice sundresses, casual skirts, or whatever. Mostly, I just wish I could bring as much with me as I wanted to, and not have to pay extra for too much luggage, or get a suite just for the closet/drawer space! It's really fun to dress up, and/or to wear fun and bright tropical clothes, especially in the dead of winter!

By the way, we're "middle-aged", and really can go almost any direction as far as clothing "rules".... we also just like Celebrity as a cruise line; slightly more "refined" in tone and atmosphere than other cruise lines.

I understand that the OP's original question dealt with "informal" nights, but as usual the discussion degenerated into some of the "I'll wear what I want to" crowd. The response to a similar question appeared on the RCCL board and the response quoted below by Hockey Dad was the best I've ever seen.

Why it is important to dress correctly for dinner

I guess I mean by damper is that there is a certain mood, feeling, or perception of elegance during a formal affair. A dress code allows the affair to meet certain standards of this elegance and when people refuse to honor the dress code, they in fact alter the intention of the of the affair. Even it is only slightly altered, it is still changed from it's original intent. Imagine a perfectly groomed and green lawn and then imagine several weeds, dandelions, through out the lawn. In effect they ruin the intent of a perfect sea of green. The conscientious lawn keeper removes the weeds to return the lawn to its intended perception. RCI on formal nights has the intention of providing an atmosphere of formality and elegance. Those who choose to meet the dress code want to associate, commiserate, and be in the company of others with the same intention. Those who willfully ignore the formal standard take on the role of the weed.

That is why there are several levels of dress codes available during the cruise. This allows the folks who for whatever reason do not like to dress formally the opportunity to "come as you are" on different nights or take advantage of the other alternatives for dining.

In the end it is a simple matter of respect for others and yourself to meet certain standards when in the company of many people during scheduled affairs. If the events were surprise events and everyone was unprepared, then that is a different story. But everyone who purchased the cruise had the opportunity to know the dress code standards for different dining nights on the cruise and then prepare for them accordingly. If they refuse to wear formal wear, then on those nights, the Windjammer / Jade or Room Service becomes their options for dinner. If you were invited to a "Black Tie only" wedding, you surely would not show up in shorts and a t-shirt to honor your friend. That would be an insult to them and the other guests that arrive dressed appropriately. Wouldn't one would feel out of place and by intuitive thought they would know that they were out of place, not dressed correctly and dishonoring the occasion. When in doubt, let your conscience (“moral sense of what is right or wrong”) be your guide and think how your mother would want you to look if she was taking you to a special occasion. Set aside the bravado of “no one tells me how to dress” and join in and enjoy. If you look good you feel good and good things will happen to you.

I understand how easy it is to revert to the "I paid for it, I deserve it attitude." But, standards still exists even when you pay for certain things. Simply by paying for things does not give anyone carte blanche to act, dress or behave in any manner desired by that person. There are rules, regulations, and behavior standards on cruises or most anyplace we vacation or live our normal day-to-day lives. The problems arise when people violate these rules or suggested behavior standards and are not penalized in anyway. They then falsely assume they are “entitled “ to act anyway they want because “they paid” for it. This assumption if simply wrong. And if RCI would deny access to the dining room to people who do not meet the suggested dress code, and they face the embarrassment of being turned away, then this would go along way to correcting the problem. Then for those who are not embarrassed or have no respect for themselves or others and continually showing up at the door to prove a point. Hand them a room service menu, directions back to their cabin and bon appetite.

jimmy 2x

i know you will be hosed but i love it. the lawn reference is on the money. the only thing i might add is the "i paid for it" attitude. you pay for a meal which you are not denied. there are plenty of dinning options besides the dinning room. you can even get a meal from the dinning roon (same as if you attended) delivered to your cabin. so you will get what you paid for.

Duck 33 - I would state again that I am not the author of the post, but am in complete agreement with it. If i get "hosed" that's OK by me.

All of that said, my wife and I are leaving for our 7th cruise next month. Maybe we have just been lucky, but I really cannot recall seeing people dressed inappropriately for any evening dinner. I am sure that they must have been there, but are few and far between. The people that I am really concerned for are the 1st time cruisers that are trying to get a feel for what to expect. We may be a bunch of old farts who are trying to hang on to a tradition, but I can assure the newbies that we represent the vast majority of cruisers on any line that we have been on (HAL, RCCL, Celebrity).

If I want to buy a Harley Davidson bike I do not go to a Lexus Town car dealership, and demand that they"ought to have sell "Hogs" . iI I wish to purchase fabric (for whatever) I do not go to a Hardware store. and then complain that "Why do you not sell fabric"

Why choose a line that states in the brochure that it has a dress code, and then complain that the dress code should be changed. Norwegian, Carnival, Oceania etc say that they are "casual" with no dress codes. and these lines also have "dine when you wish," why not choose these lines , they do go to the same ports of call, probably at less cost as well.

Jim's girl

I agree with you. I know some people prefer to dress casually all the time but then why go on a line that sets out clearly that certain nights require formal dress for dinner in the dinning room - just seems silly to me. Why not go on one of the lines that stress their casual attitude to cruising?

It's like going to a classical concert and sitting in the audience with a radio blaring rap or country music.

Both of those music styles maybe fine on there own but it would just be rude to play them while a group of people are trying to enjoy a different type of experience.

i have seen the argument made by the anti-formal sect that celeb merely suggests this form of attire. well, according to webster the definition of suggest is to HINT, to PROPOSE, to INSINUATE in other words......get a clue people. take the HINT and dress this way.

I've got another slant for you. We always dress according to the "suggested attire" just because that's what we do.

We were on our wedding cruise with 4 other people. Our documents said that there would be 2 formal nights for our 10 day cruise. I even called to double check and was told that whatever the documents said would be correct. Well, there were 3 formal nights as usual. I went to the GR desk to ask why we were told differently since we now had three women short one formal attire. I was told that "I'm sorry, I'm sure you can deal with the situation". As much as I believe in always dressing for the occasion, it really made me wonder how much they can possibly want to keep up the dress standards if that was the attitude. But of course, that only happened on one cruise.

By the way, that was RCL Splendour of the Seas in Jan. 99. Obviously I know better now and I've also learned to go with my better judgement. My better judgement also tells me that if the cruisline of my choice calls for formal attire, I will bring formal attire otherwise I will choose a different vacation. :)

I am not psyched to dress up (and yet I chose Celebrity - for other reasons). I may eat in the informal areas and hang out in the thalass. pool on the formal nights if I feel like staying casual.

First time cruiser here. Husband and I have spent many years going to first class resorts on Maui when we lived on the West Coast, but this is our first cruise. We have to get dressed up quite frequently, and like to spend our vacations casual. If we don't want to dress up for Formal night, are there other restaurants we can eat at?

Writerdean

Millenium - 1/23/05

If we don't want to dress up for Formal night, are there other restaurants we can eat at?

Writerdean

Millenium - 1/23/05

On Celebrity, your alternative choices are pasta, pizza, sushi or making a reservation for "alternate" dining, served at your table in the buffet area, and paying extra for it. You will also be told to stay out of all public areas of the ship because you are not wearing the proper attire. Enjoy your cruise.

On another thread, I learned that the Aquaspa Cafe is open for "lunch" until 8pm. If I go there at 7pm on a formal night, is this a suggested casual or suggested formal area?

(And, hey, if you feel like being helpful and answering, please do, and thanks in advance. If you still want to tell me to dress up like it's prom night, just think of this as a way to keep me, in my casual sundress, out of your common areas!!!)

I don't like having to bring additional blazers. I generally dress up for casual nights in dress pants and shirts anyway.

I have said this many times, but I don't see people bashing the luxury lines who only require "country club casual" for not being elegant, etc, ad nauseum. If people really believe Celebrity is this super classy line, I guess they don't think that of Seabourne and other similar lines since they don't do it.

That really has nothing to do with it. The cruiselines each have their own style. Just find a style you like and spend your money there. It's not necessary to make everything the same. It's nice that there are plenty of choices for everyone. I have no desire to go on one of the casual lines and make it more formal. If I decide to sail on those lines, I'll do the casual thing.:)

On another thread, I learned that the Aquaspa Cafe is open for "lunch" until 8pm. If I go there at 7pm on a formal night, is this a suggested casual or suggested formal area?

The spa (and cafe) are out by the pool deck near the spa. Nobody will hassle you there about attire. Worth a look, but be sure to consider the informal dining set up at the end of what is usually the buffet area.

Can anyone just put up some links to pictures of people on the X wearing informal, formal and casual clothes?

Just to get a picture....instead of so many fantasy images from the descriptions of clothings posted. What is a sport jacket? I don't we have that in Europe.

You mean a sport jacket of the brand "Australian" worn by Dutch rappers?

it get relly exhuasting read these threadsand seeing how people continue to twist reality in an effort to justify not adhearing to the dress codes. this cruise line does it like this, x is mass market wah wah wah wah. if you are truly against the suggested dress code there are plenty of cruising options to suit all tastes and life styles without having to reinvent the wheel.

i am sorry. i usually am not too strongly opinionated on this subject and an inapproriate dresser is not going to "ruin" my cruise. but at least be honest with yourselves. i would respect the argument more if you just say "yeah i know what the dress code is but i am going to try and get over" instead of these lame excuses. and if you get over and are allowed in the dr with black jeans and a really nice western shirt....congradulations you won you beat the system. but if you are not admitted and asked to leave, be gracious and do so.....YOU ARE WRONG!!!!

it really is this simple folks

You don't pay extra for the alternative dining. There is a $2 tip suggested for the server.

That's what I said, Ma: there's an extra charge for alternative dining. And then you aren't allowed to go to karaoke or to hear the DJ or to Battle-of-the-Sexes Trivia because you aren't dressed appropriately.

How is it that you can stand casual night on Celebrity? After all, people wear casual clothes, which you said--in another thread--would make you feel like you were in McDonald's. (Dawson would be horrified at such a thought.) Do you really feel like McDonald's on casual night? Do your fellow passengers become less interesting to you when they wear casual clothes? Does the food taste less good? Is the service less "refined?" Does it make you feel less "superior?"

That's what I said, Ma: there's an extra charge for alternative dining. And then you aren't allowed to go to karaoke or to hear the DJ or to Battle-of-the-Sexes Trivia because you aren't dressed appropriately.

i find this very hard to believe since the wife and often change into more comfy clothes after dinner and have never been refused service at any of the bars etc. we even swim or jacuzzi which requires at least a bathing siut.

so unless you are in a potatoe sack i think you are miss informed

Can anyone just put up some links to pictures of people on the X wearing informal' date=' formal and casual clothes?

Just to get a picture....instead of so many fantasy images from the descriptions of clothings posted. What is a sport jacket? I don't we have that in Europe.

You mean a sport jacket of the brand "Australian" worn by Dutch rappers?

[/quote

Why Our Customers Like This Sport Coat: It is a full cut jacket with ample room in both the shoulders and armholes. In addition to its great fit, it is also lightweight making this jacket ideal for year round wear. The hard finish of the fabric enables this jacket to resist wrinkles while maintaining a crisp look.

Limited Stock Available In These Colors: Sage, Medium Blue, Burgundy, Teal Green

JNLineDrawmiva.jpg

Archived