Salerno to Sorrento or Positano

tickets

My husband and I will be arriving in Salerno on a Celebrity cruise in October. Can we go to Sorrento and/or Positano by boat? Should we take a bus or is there a train for the trip. We have been to Capri and Pompei on cruises but the ships always arrived in Naples. I can find very little information on this port.

Thank you for the link. Those stops sound perfect. I will check the timetable for 2010 to see if it is doable --connection wise.

Our ship is the Celebrity Century out of Barcelona on October 1st. Thanks again.

One more piece of research that could help you - as the bus timing could be critical to getting back on your ship at the appointed time!

We were in the area last March. A rock slide had caused closure of a portion of the Amalfi road. We had to make quite a hike to get around the rock slide and then wait quite some time for another bus to pick us up on the other side. The walk was difficult but breathtaking and worth every minute.

This is not an infrequent occurence on the coast, so best to check just before your departure from the US to see if this might impact your visit before you set off on your own!

One more thing - the Amalfi drive is awesome and beautiful but if you have anyone in your party that has problems with motion sickness, add in a dramamine.

That's funny that you should say that! I presumed that it was Naples also until I realized that whenever one town is in parentheses that is the actual town where the ship docks. It says Naples (Salerno) so I think it's Salerno--what do you think?

Does anyone know where to get the bus to Sorrento from the Salerno pier? Do the buses go on strike like the trains in Italy?

I would check with your cruise line to be sure. Salerno is such an industrial port, it seems unusual that a cruise ship would stop there.

For what it's worth, here is the web site for the Port of Salerno: http://www.porto.salerno.it/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1&lang=english

Edited by euro cruiser

I just checked the shore excursion brochure from Celebrity. It begins each description with the words..."leaving pierside from Salerno.." so I'm convinced that is the port.

Does anyone know how to reach the train station in Salerno from the port ? Thanks for any help.

• 4 weeks later...
I just checked the shore excursion brochure from Celebrity. It begins each description with the words..."leaving pierside from Salerno.." so I'm convinced that is the port.

Does anyone know how to reach the train station in Salerno from the port ? Thanks for any help.

You're right, Salerno is the new port for Celebrity Century cruises. Naples is getting too crowded for all the ships that want to dock there. This is the first year any of these level of cruises will stop in Salerno so it is all new. The Celebrity Century will first dock in Salerno starting in June so you might check back in the summer to see what people are saying since you're not going to be there til Oct. Getting to Sorrento on the bus would take a LONG time and would be risky, like cynbear said above.

It's more than two miles from the cruise port (assuming that Celebrity will use the same pier that MSC uses) to the train station. You can see it on a google map using "Banchina Rossa Ovest" (the road alongside the cruise pier) as your starting point and "Piazza Vittorio Veneto" (train station) as your ending.

The port has an excellent and detailed map on their web site, to see it in detail click on the map and bring it up in a pdf file: http://www.porto.salerno.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=7

You could check on bus service here: http://www.cstp.it/index.asp, but a taxi may be the best answer.

• 3 months later...

Looks like RCCL is going to Salerno instead of Naples also. We received notificaiton that Brilliance of the Seas Mediterranean cruise departing Sept. 12 is now tendering at Salerno rather than Naples.

We were planning to spend the day at Capri but will have to change our plans.

• 5 weeks later...

We will be going on the Celebrity Constellation on Sep. 18 -25,2010. Salerno is one of the "new" stops. We are looking for 2 (or 3) more couples who would like to go on shore excursions as a group to see Geneoa, Florence, Civitavecchia, and Salerno. There are companies that can take a small (manageable) group at a reasonable price. Is there anyone interested to join us? My email: as.won@sympatico.ca.

• 4 years later...
Hi, my friend is going on a cruise that calls in Salerno, we did loads of research for shore excursions (as it seems Salerno is a new stop for celebrity) she wanted to do a private tour. Send me a private email if you would like some of the information we found most useful.

I am interested in the info- want a tour that does the coast and Pompeii-email me at k.virde@yahoo.com-thanks

We find it interesting that some cruise lines are starting to port at Salerno. Not sure why, but its interesting :). Keep in mind that going from Salerno to Sorrento is about 80 miles, and we have no idea why anyone would want to go to Sorrento anyway. If you want to see some of the Amalfi Coast we would recommend going only as far as Positano and also visiting Amalfi and Ravello! Salerno is also a perfect gateway port for those interested in the ruins at Paestum. If we ever would end up in Salerno on a cruise, assuming we had a full day, we would probably rent a car and head towards Ravello.

Hank

We find it interesting that some cruise lines are starting to port at Salerno. Not sure why, but its interesting :). Keep in mind that going from Salerno to Sorrento is about 80 miles, and we have no idea why anyone would want to go to Sorrento anyway.

I agree with your assessment of Sorrento but I'm struggling to figure out what route you took that required 80 miles.

The inland route from Salerno to Sorrento (on the A3) is about 35 mies. The coastal route, including the Amalfi Coast road, is about 40 miles.

As to why they are now porting at Salerno, I suspect it is entirely financial. Salerno charges less port fees.

Edited by euro cruiser

I agree with your assessment of Sorrento but I'm struggling to figure out what route you took that required 80 miles.

The inland route from Salerno to Sorrento (on the A3) is about 35 mies. The coastal route, including the Amalfi Coast road, is about 40 miles.

As to why they are now porting at Salerno, I suspect it is entirely financial. Salerno charges less port fees.

LOL you are right. Just typed it in Google Maps to get the miles and it does show over 120 Kilometers. That is a good reason not to rely on Google :) But it sure seems like 100 miles if driving the Amalfi Drive route in the summer. Traffic can be really awful. You might be right about port fees but not sure why a cruise line would care since they simply pass those fees along the the passengers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner