Permanent position of window washing equipment on S-Class?

101Jus

We have booked cabin 1075 on Eclipse but I've recently read that the window washing equipment is permanently housed very close to our balcony albeit 1 deck higher. Anyone know if this is likely to obscure our view from the balcony? We booked this 16 months in advance thinking we'd got a great cabin with an oversized balcony; should I now be worried? Thanks.

Justin

Hi Justin. We are also booked to this cabin (on Equinox in September though) and from all I have read about the class, it's described on the sticky as 'very quiet, with an outstanding view and an oversized balcony' :D Enjoy!

PS When are you sailing?

• 1 month later...

We have just booked 1075 on Solstice for 7/25/10 and I am concerned as well. Not so much for myself as I am for my brother and his wife who we booked in 1077 - it is their first cruise and I am doing all the planning (and have all the stress of something stupid going wrong that I should have known about...like window washing equipment). I found this photo posted online of the ship and what I am thinking is the equipment (the white roller thingy in the middle of the photo) seems a bit large imo...

http://web8.506.bces.de/cruise_xxl/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=12

There seem to be a lot of people in the past who have said "I'm booked in 1075 and will post more about the room when I return" but they haven't - at least that I can find in my searches. Anyone out there who has actually stayed in the cabin and can confirm/deny the presence of the window washing equipment? And yes, I have read the sticky and downloaded both spreadsheets with cabin information and I see that one person didn't mention it in their post but I'm still concerned.

Through this planning and research and have vowed to post a review and photos of anything new when I return...pending I remember to do so! :)

Our window washing equipment was for our Alaska cruise on the Summit. It was just awful to peer through it to see what we have saved for for years. There was never any mention of the equipment anywhere. We saw it on arrival, I do not know of any other cruise company that has this problem

We have just booked 1075 on Solstice for 7/25/10 and I am concerned as well. Not so much for myself as I am for my brother and his wife who we booked in 1077 - it is their first cruise and I am doing all the planning (and have all the stress of something stupid going wrong that I should have known about...like window washing equipment). I found this photo posted online of the ship and what I am thinking is the equipment (the white roller thingy in the middle of the photo) seems a bit large imo...

http://web8.506.bces.de/cruise_xxl/displayimage.php?album=48&pos=12

There seem to be a lot of people in the past who have said "I'm booked in 1075 and will post more about the room when I return" but they haven't - at least that I can find in my searches. Anyone out there who has actually stayed in the cabin and can confirm/deny the presence of the window washing equipment? And yes, I have read the sticky and downloaded both spreadsheets with cabin information and I see that one person didn't mention it in their post but I'm still concerned.

Through this planning and research and have vowed to post a review and photos of anything new when I return...pending I remember to do so! :)

Thanks for posting the photo Cruisin_Vol_Fan. From that it looks as though it's parked directly outside 1073. Hmmmmm, looks as though we won't be able to view forwards, only sideways or towards the rear :(.

From your point of view, your relatives should be fine in 1077 although you yourselves may have the issue I just descibed.

Like you, on my return I intend to add my input via a review and by adding info to the cabin spreadsheet. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Justin

This is a photo of the other side of the ship (thanks again to Andreas Depping), but the relationship is the same on the port side of the ship where you are located. This picture shows fairly well that you have no worries on your deck. The impact on both sides of the ship is for AQ cabins on the Penthouse deck. The window-washing equipment (WWE) doesn't extend below to your deck on either side of the ship.

We sailed in AQ 1552 on the Solstice and were quite shocked to find out upon our arrival that the permanent home for the window-washing equipment is in front of AQ 1554 (that is where you see it parked below...AQ 1552 is the cabin beside it with the open balcony door). I was a little ticked off as we hadn't been warned about any kind of obstruction and I spoke to the Hotel Director about it. She told me that the permanent home for the WWE is AQ 1554 on the starboard side and in front of AQ 1549 on the port side, and they were sorry, but it had to be parked somewhere. My point was that we should have had some prior notice of a partial obstruction.

We couldn't see the equipment from inside our cabin, or when sitting back on the balcony, but it did interfere with taking panoramic shots from the balcony railing. I can only imagine that it would be a shock to the occupants of AQ 1554 if they hadn't been warned.

However, the WWE is not always parked in the same place. In our case, it moved the second day, and honestly, after that I really didn't pay any attention, so I couldn't say when it was moved back.

818841239_BiVh9-L.jpg

Thank you so much for that photo and the description - it makes so much more sense now! Whatever that other huge contraption was in the photo I found must have been from construction. I'm very thankful for someone who has "been there, seen that" to give us the truth!

This is a photo of the other side of the ship (thanks again to Andreas Depping), but the relationship is the same on the port side of the ship where you are located. This picture shows fairly well that you have no worries on your deck. The impact on both sides of the ship is for AQ cabins on the Penthouse deck. The window-washing equipment (WWE) doesn't extend below to your deck on either side of the ship.

We sailed in AQ 1552 on the Solstice and were quite shocked to find out upon our arrival that the permanent home for the window-washing equipment is in front of AQ 1554 (that is where you see it parked below...AQ 1552 is the cabin beside it with the open balcony door). I was a little ticked off as we hadn't been warned about any kind of obstruction and I spoke to the Hotel Director about it. She told me that the permanent home for the WWE is AQ 1554 on the starboard side and in front of AQ 1549 on the port side, and they were sorry, but it had to be parked somewhere. My point was that we should have had some prior notice of a partial obstruction.

We couldn't see the equipment from inside our cabin, or when sitting back on the balcony, but it did interfere with taking panoramic shots from the balcony railing. I can only imagine that it would be a shock to the occupants of AQ 1554 if they hadn't been warned.

However, the WWE is not always parked in the same place. In our case, it moved the second day, and honestly, after that I really didn't pay any attention, so I couldn't say when it was moved back.

818841239_BiVh9-L.jpg

Phewwww!! Thanks for the photo and for all your info. That's definitely cleared up my concerns now. Let the preparation begin!! :D

Justin

Thank you so much for that photo and the description - it makes so much more sense now! Whatever that other huge contraption was in the photo I found must have been from construction. I'm very thankful for someone who has "been there, seen that" to give us the truth!

You are most welcome. :)

I think you're right that it is a piece of construction equipment. In the photo below, they seem to be using it to offload something (a mirror?) into (or out of?) a stateroom. Thanks again to Andreas Depping.

819329775_aAcrk-L.jpg

Phewwww!! Thanks for the photo and for all your info. That's definitely cleared up my concerns now. Let the preparation begin!! :D

Justin

You're very welcome.

By the way, you have reserved a great stateroom. Here is the size of the balcony (from our AQ 1552 cabin...but yours is the same size). We loved it! (We have had the same-sized balcony in AQ 1605, and also have the same balcony reserved for our upcoming Baltic cruise in 2011.)

Have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy all the precruise planning!

451760061_wLvuQ-L.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
You're very welcome.

By the way, you have reserved a great stateroom. Here is the size of the balcony (from our AQ 1552 cabin...but yours is the same size). We loved it! (We have had the same-sized balcony in AQ 1605, and also have the same balcony reserved for our upcoming Baltic cruise in 2011.)

Have a wonderful cruise, and enjoy all the precruise planning!

451760061_wLvuQ-L.jpg

So you enjoyed the AQ 1552 cabin on the Solstice? We just booked that same cabin for our 9/19 sailing and having read so many opinions/reviews we don't know what to think! Does/did the permanent washing equipment parked in front of the next cabin effect your view in any way? Was the room dark all the time? Did the overhang effect the feel of the balcony? Both Celebrity and my TA assured me that ALL the balconies (even the hump ones) are the exact same size however it just doesn't seem true based on what everyone has said on these boards. Thanks for any light you can shed on this stateroom! Thanks!

So you enjoyed the AQ 1552 cabin on the Solstice? We just booked that same cabin for our 9/19 sailing and having read so many opinions/reviews we don't know what to think! Does/did the permanent washing equipment parked in front of the next cabin effect your view in any way? Was the room dark all the time? Did the overhang effect the feel of the balcony? Both Celebrity and my TA assured me that ALL the balconies (even the hump ones) are the exact same size however it just doesn't seem true based on what everyone has said on these boards. Thanks for any light you can shed on this stateroom! Thanks!

AQ 1552 is a wonderful stateroom. I have posted my pictures of the cabin below. There are lots of detailed pictures of the storage, as we cruised on Solstice's third cruise and there were lots of questions about the availability of storage.

http://leftcoasters.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruise-Ships/Celebrity-Solstice-Aquaclass/7051726_Pzoiv#451751605_oZ5t3

There is plenty of light in the room. I forgot to turn the lights on in the cabin when I took the pictures, as it was quite bright in the room. My camera doesn't really capture the available light very well.

When the sun is on your side of the ship, you will have sun on about a third of the balcony. The shaded portion was very welcome, as we were cruising in the Caribbean. We have also cruised on the Solstice with the same sized balcony (AQ 1605) and we appreciated the shaded portion there as well. We felt no negative effects from the overhang.

You can't see the window-washing equipment (WWE) from inside your room, only when you get close to the balcony railing. The WWE was not parked in front of AQ 1554 all the time, either.

I am afraid that your TA and that particular Celebrity agent are mistaken. The Veranda CABINS are all the same size, but the BALCONIES are varying sizes, as outlined in many posts. AQ 1552 and others like it have the largest non-suite balconies.

We found the location of AQ 1552 to be great. You are close to the Relaxation Rooms and other Aquaspa amenities, and close to the forward elevators. Also, it's not far to the midship elevators. I enjoy a little walk ;).

There was no noise from the elevators and no noise from adjacent cabins or cabins above.

You have made an excellent choice. Enjoy your cruise!

AQ 1552 is a wonderful stateroom. I have posted my pictures of the cabin below. There are lots of detailed pictures of the storage, as we cruised on Solstice's third cruise and there were lots of questions about the availability of storage.

http://leftcoasters.smugmug.com/Travel/Cruise-Ships/Celebrity-Solstice-Aquaclass/7051726_Pzoiv#451751605_oZ5t3

There is plenty of light in the room. I forgot to turn the lights on in the cabin when I took the pictures, as it was quite bright in the room. My camera doesn't really capture the available light very well.

When the sun is on your side of the ship, you will have sun on about a third of the balcony. The shaded portion was very welcome, as we were cruising in the Caribbean. We have also cruised on the Solstice with the same sized balcony (AQ 1605) and we appreciated the shaded portion there as well. We felt no negative effects from the overhang.

You can't see the window-washing equipment (WWE) from inside your room, only when you get close to the balcony railing. The WWE was not parked in front of AQ 1554 all the time, either.

I am afraid that your TA and that particular Celebrity agent are mistaken. The Veranda CABINS are all the same size, but the BALCONIES are varying sizes, as outlined in many posts. AQ 1552 and others like it have the largest non-suite balconies.

We found the location of AQ 1552 to be great. You are close to the Relaxation Rooms and other Aquaspa amenities, and close to the forward elevators. Also, it's not far to the midship elevators. I enjoy a little walk ;).

There was no noise from the elevators and no noise from adjacent cabins or cabins above.

You have made an excellent choice. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks Elena!! The pictures you took are extensive and AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing!! You have put my mind at ease and now we are 150% excited and can't wait! I'm not much of a sun person myself therefore I think the shaded portion of the balcony will do me just right! :cool:

Thanks Elena!! The pictures you took are extensive and AMAZING!! Thank you so much for sharing!! You have put my mind at ease and now we are 150% excited and can't wait! I'm not much of a sun person myself therefore I think the shaded portion of the balcony will do me just right! :cool:

You are very welcome.

Another small point...we never found any wind curl on either the forward facing balcony (AQ 1605) or the aft facing balcony (AQ 1552). There is just enough air movement to be comfortable when sitting on deck. It's a lovely place to have a drink before dinner, or to sit and read. The deck furniture is very comfortable as well.

One-last-but-well-known tip. If you don't care for the canapes that are delivered between 4-5:00 pm (you get to choose the time on Solstice), the cheese, crackers and fruit plate is very nice, especially if you are a wine drinker!

Enjoy the time leading up to your trip. My next cruise on an S-class ship isn't until July 2011...far too long to wait!

You are very welcome.

Another small point...we never found any wind curl on either the forward facing balcony (AQ 1605) or the aft facing balcony (AQ 1552). There is just enough air movement to be comfortable when sitting on deck. It's a lovely place to have a drink before dinner, or to sit and read. The deck furniture is very comfortable as well.

One-last-but-well-known tip. If you don't care for the canapes that are delivered between 4-5:00 pm (you get to choose the time on Solstice), the cheese, crackers and fruit plate is very nice, especially if you are a wine drinker!

Enjoy the time leading up to your trip. My next cruise on an S-class ship isn't until July 2011...far too long to wait!

Oh GREAST advice about the cheese,crackers and fruite plate instead! MMMM! Will request that! Sorry your wait is so long! I'm sure it will fly by and of course be worth the wait! :D

• 11 months later...
We are booked on AQ 1552 for the May 14 Mediterranean sailing.

Can anyone tell me if this is a quiet cabin?

Thank you!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Two people wrote reviews for this stateroom and both commented that it was quiet.

Have a nice cruise. :)

I was booked in a cabin with the window washing equipment on a Solstice voyage to the Mediterranean in Sept. 09. The cabin number escapes me now but we were in AQ. When I complained about it as it was never indicated anywhere it would be obstructed I was told it was moveable and it would move around to other locations so I was not concerned. It never moved in the 12 days onboard. We were given a dinner in the Tuscan Grille as compensation. I felt this was not sufficient so I spoke with my TA and she secured us a cruise credit for a nominal amount, but we are cruising again using the credit! It definitely affects the view if you are standing on your balcony but not if you are sitting down enjoying the view. It was not a pleasant experience and I have been told that the cabin is now classified as obstructed....I hope that's the case. :rolleyes:

Archived