NCL Dawn & 18 Month Twins - Double Stroller or not?

lisa928

This year we will be going on a 7 day cruise to Bermuda (from NYC). This is a family cruise to there will be about 25 other family members. My question is do I want to bring a double stroller for around the ship and the island? My other thought is two single strollers, but that would mean that if there were only one of us we could not take both kids, but then again with 30 of us that may not be a problem.

If I do I am thinking about looking for a light weight foldable double umbrella stroller from Craigslist now, as my current stroller is a monster.

Any thoughts?

check amazon.com for stroller connectors- they are about $12 a pair and connect 2 umbrella strollers. Easy to use- only thing is they may not fit down every hallway or doorway side by side onboard- on excursions should be a great help. THat way your kids can be pushed together or separate. Just make sure your umbrella strollers are decent quality with flip top canopy for shade- mine had carry bags with straps and were really lightweight- of course my twins are 11 now

have fun:)

I cruise alone with my twins, so I don't have the option of two strollers, but my tandem Graco Duoglider has been on all our cruises. It's a monster, but narrow enough to fit through the corridors, into the elevators, etc. Obviously, the comfort of the double stroller means giving up the convenience of the umbrella strollers. At that age, it was nice that my girls could fall asleep in the stroller and we could keep going. But with that much help, two umbrella strollers (with good sun coverage) may be the best choice.

Best,

Mia

When my kids were young I often used a double stroller, and was so very happy that I had chosen a double long stroller ,, instead a double wide. So much easier to use in crowded areas,, the double wides are a pain in crowds and in busy narrow ships areas.

You may have a heavy duty double right now,, but, I would just go and buy a cheap double long,, you can get them second hand, or at places like Walmart. Its worth a hundred bucks to me,, since I really like the extra storage they have,, which most umbrella types do not,, and that they always seem to have the canopys,, which umbrellas don't ,and they recline for naps,, which again,, not all umbrellas do.

On the other hand,, I would take TWO umbrella strollers( making sure they have the canopys) rather then one double wide. There is certainly enough of you so that it would work. I could work anyways,, hubby takes one you take one,, not a big deal.

Have fun,, 18 months is such a cute age,, I always think of kids that age as little robots,, they just run around clueless half the time( as in they WOULD run in front of a herd of elephants,, or a car,, LOL ) , so you are always on guard,, but they will stop and see wonder in the most mundane things.. Enjoy them now.. even if exhausted..

Last summer we did cruise to Bermuda on the Dawn from NYC and would recommend you also bring along a couple of those baby carrier packs you can strap onto your chest. Of course that means two adults would have to go together to the same place for the twins to be together. Our DS was 5 on that cruise so we did not have stroller issues, but since the most efficient way to get around the island is by public transportation we were off and on buses and ferry's many times each day.

Bermuda has an excellent bus & ferry system that is easy to use, so there is no need for ship tours. Where you dock there is a small man-made beach (Snorkel Park) about a half mile from the ship. Also in the Dockyards area is a museum, a few pubs, and the glass blowing & rum cake factory. To get to the great beaches on the south shore (Horseshoe Bay) or the zoo & aquarium you will need to ride a bus and/or ferry. Taxis are also available, but they are very expensive.

The bus and ferry pick up just a couple blocks from the ship. Where a baby carrier pack is helpful is that you will be getting on the bus or ferry with the people of Bermuda who may be going to school or work. The people of Bermuda are very friendly and polite, so there is no problem bringing on-board a stroller it just may be crowded. The fast ferry to Hamilton or St. Georges is a walk-on with double doors so getting a stroller on/off would be easy. For other ferries and the buses you will need to go up/down stairs. If you do go to Horseshoe Bay go to the right when you are facing the ocean; there is a break in the dunes that leads you to sheltered cove to play in the water.

On the Dawn avoid deck 8 with a stroller. This deck has narrow hallways with many tight corners and ramps at many of those corners. The best decks to get around the ship are deck 7 (Blue Lagoon, atrium) and deck 12 (pool, buffet). Also stick to the starboard side to be able to go the length of the ship. Also to get to the Venetian (MDR aft) which enters on deck 6 you will find out that only one of the aft elevators goes to that deck.

We're bring two umbrella strollers with full sun coverage for our 16 month olds.

DH and I both agreed the double stroller, although nice, is far to heavy to be trekking through the boat and airport.

We're going to wear backpacks to carry their stuff in while about.

Archived