What to do with wedding dress?

thisisnk23

Hi, I am going on my first cruise in May on the Carnival Liberty. We will be getting married in one of our stops (St. Thomas). I have my dress in a garment bag for the plane ride, but I am just wondering what I should do with it when we go to get on the ship. Do I just hand it to a porter and hope it makes it to my room safely? Now that I am thinking about it, what about our wedding bands and other jewelry I will be wearing that day? It just makes me really uneasy to leave those sorts of important things with a stranger. And, I've also heard that they don't put your luggage in your room, they put it outside of your room, is this true? Thanks in advance for any responses!

You WEAR the rings....duh! Why would you NOT???? I wouldn't worry about your dress---it will be sent to your room...our stuff has always been put IN our cabin...

I think that is a little harsh. They are not married yet, have not yet exchanged their wedding bands, so why would they wear them? If it were me, I would carry on my dress in a garment bag and keep the rings and jewels in my carry-on bag or purse so they are always with me. Once in your cabin they can be kept in your safe. Congratulations and have a wonderful cruise.

You WEAR the rings....duh! Why would you NOT???? I wouldn't worry about your dress---it will be sent to your room...our stuff has always been put IN our cabin...

BECAUSE....... people don't normally wear their wedding bands before they get married.

OP,

I know it may be cumbersome to carry but personally, I would not want anything to happen to it, even if it's a remote possibility, so I would carry it myself. And, BTW, our luggage has NEVER been put in the cabin like someone else said.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.:)

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I am just going to carry my dress. I'd rather hold it for 3 hours than have it get lost!

And to the person who posted about wearing the rings.. if my solution was so simple as to put the rings on, do you think I would have posted that question? DUH!! I don't want to wear the rings before we are married, that's why I asked where we should put them. But, thanks for your kind suggestion!!! ;)

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I am just going to carry my dress. I'd rather hold it for 3 hours than have it get lost!

I think that is your best solution...carry dress and put your rings in your purse or carry on.

Good luck and have a beautiful wedding.

If you can wait to board till after 1:30 (I can't), you could take your things straight to your room.

This is probably the best idea regarding the wedding dress. I would hate to see you carrying it around the ship and even though it's in a garment bag, would hate to see it wrinkled or accidentally soiled or stepped on. On the Ecstasy last week, our nice room steward let us drop our bags about 10 minutes early when he saw us standing in the hall.

Congratulations!!

Because we compete in ballroom dance I travel with expensive gowns often. Just last November we competed in San Juan and then boarded Carnival for vacation.

I would check with bridal shops and buy a garment bag made for travel. The ones I use have handles that go over your shoulder and the bottom of the bag is wider then the rest. The gown is folded over just once and does not wrinkle even after hours on my shoulder!

Ask the airline attendent if you can hang the bag in the first class closet. No one has ever said no to me and we usually travel coach.

This type of bag is not to heavy on your shoulder, even in you check in early.

I always carry the gown myself, never check them and on a ship never hand them over to anyone.

Cabin closets are narrow and the gown may not fit in the closet. I take the gown out of the bag and lay the gown under the bed on top of the bag... There it stays until we leave the ship, never has been a problem.

Good luck!

And to the person who posted about wearing the rings.. if my solution was so simple as to put the rings on, do you think I would have posted that question? DUH!! I don't want to wear the rings before we are married, that's why I asked where we should put them. But, thanks for your kind suggestion!!! ;)

Don't mind her....she posts and never comes back as far as I can tell. Once in a while her posts are helpful, mostly they are one line of rude comments.

I think of her as a drive by poster. She may be nice in person...who knows :confused:

Because we compete in ballroom dance I travel with expensive gowns often. Just last November we competed in San Juan and then boarded Carnival for vacation.

I would check with bridal shops and buy a garment bag made for travel. The ones I use have handles that go over your shoulder and the bottom of the bag is wider then the rest. The gown is folded over just once and does not wrinkle even after hours on my shoulder!

Ask the airline attendent if you can hang the bag in the first class closet. No one has ever said no to me and we usually travel coach.

I always carry the gown myself, never check them and on a ship never hand them over to anyone.

Cabin closets are narrow and the gown may not fit in the closet. I take the gown out of the bag and lay the gown under the bed on top of the bag... There it stays until we leave the ship, never has been a problem.

Good luck!

That's a great idea! I am going to check into getting a different bag when I go for my alterations. Thanks for the suggestion!

Good luck!

That is a cool idea. Thanks for the info. Was trying to figure out where to put a formal, semi-formal and my pirate costume while on a fourteen day cruise!!!

If you are really nervous about the rings, you could maybe wear them on a chain around your neck? Like pendants?

That way, you know exactly where they are, difficult to lose them and not worn on your fingers :)

If you can't access your room when you board, maybe go sit in a lounge with "couches" and lay the dress on one, so it doesn't get wrinkled/ stepped on/...?

If you are really nervous about the rings, you could maybe wear them on a chain around your neck? Like pendants?

That way, you know exactly where they are, difficult to lose them and not worn on your fingers :)

/...?

I was going to suggest the same thing. Wear them on a chain around your neck.

For the rings, I always have a "neck bank" (a cloth pouch on a long string that goes around your neck) where I keep credit cards, cash, pass port, DL and boarding pass. The rings would fit nicely there. Better yet let hubby to be put them in his neck bank or waist pouch under the clothing.

I have clamshell type polycarbonate suitcases. These slide OPEN right under the bed and I toss all my just in case stuff there (coats from north of winter:rolleyes:, fleece, extra medicines etc just in case, full nylon duffle bag of dirty clothes (doesn't smell as bad as putting dirty clothes in bottom of closet).

Have a lovely wedding and cruise. All will go well. (and if it don't you will cope!)

I would carry it on for sure. It might be a pain, but much less of a pain than if you checked it with a porter and something happened to it.

Yes, your luggage will probably be outside your cabin. I've almost always been there when it was delivered (not on purpose, but they were super early) and they will knock on the door so if you're there, it doesn't sit out there for a long time. Sometimes a room steward will bring it in but I wouldn't count on it if they happen to be off duty or cleaning someone else's room when it's delivered.

Archived