Sapphire Princess Review 1/30-2/6

lovevacadays

I just got back from a wonderful cruise on the Sapphire Princess. This was my fourth time on the Sapphire doing the Mexican Riviera so I knew what to expect. The Sapphire still looks good with just a little bit of wear and tear but really minimal. I had sailed the Crown in November so being back on the Sapphire I was happy to see the wider Promenade Deck with full loungers as opposed to the narrower Promenade on the Crown with just chairs. I spend time each day out there so I really like the loungers. I also like the aft pool area better on the Sapphire as it is a much larger area with more tables and loungers than on the Crown. That is because the Crown class of ships have Sabatini's and Adagio at the back and the Sapphire doesn't

I had cabin P220 which is a full oceanview on the Plaza deck. I have had minisuites my last two cruises and balconies before. I had booked an obstructed oceanview guarantee on this cruise as the price was soooo good $379 a person. It is actually the reason I went as this wasn't a planned vacation. I actually thought this was a good cabin. I was surprised when I walked in that it appeared roomy. The window is large and the bed was set up parallel to the window so when I was in bed sitting up I could see ocean and sky and when I was laying down if on my side I could look at the sky. I did like being on the Plaza deck as it was so quiet because it is not a full passenger deck. I also liked being able to walk down the hall to the lobby bar and grab a cup of coffee to take back to my room while I was getting ready. Just a minute away. The best thing about my cabin was the great room steward I had. His name is Gerardo "Jerry" It was his first week back from break. He was one of the best stewards I have had in a long time. Very good and friendly to talk with.

Service on the ship was great. A very friendly crew. The pool deck staff was great and always around if you needed a drink. Bar staff was great. Dining room service was really good. The best waiter I had was in the Savoy dining room. His name was Edgar and he was serving tables 220-224 I think. He was better than the waiters in the specialty restaurant but all were good.

Cruise Staff: Our cruise director was Sam and I can't remember her last name. She wasn't the Sam others talk about that has been a cruise director for awhile. This was her first week as a Cruise Director. She was just promoted. She was just ok and the Asst. Cruise Director was just ok. I had been on the Crown in November and had Ron Goodman as Cruise Director and now I will compare everyone to him. He was fabulous. Always said hi and made eye contact. He was out on deck chatting with passengers. Sam and the Asst Director on this ship would just walk by you and not even acknowledge you or smile. The other cruise staff was very good, though.

Food - Food was decent. Not great - not bad. The best dessert I had all cruise was in Sabatini's. It's the White Chocolate Mouse with Limoncello. It was fabulous and only served in Sabatini's. I hadn't been to Sabatini's in about 5 years. The menu has changed and I liked the old menu better.

Entertainment - Really good. I really loved the comedians and I don't typically go to those shows. Steve Morris is very funny but my favorite was Carlos Oscar. He did two shows with different material. First was better than the second but both excellent. I saw one of the Production Shows as I've seen them so many times and thought the 4 main performers were really good. The Baby Dolls are the band playing in Explorers and Club Fusion. They were really good. Played alot of R&B but also pop, oldies, etc. - great voices. However, the band in the Wheelhouse - Denise Canby - it sounded like really bad karoake. There were those that seemed to enjoy though as it was ballroom type music and folks were in there dancing.

Ports: It poured rain in Puerto Vallarta. They didn't cancel tours so went on mine to Las Caletas. It's beautiful there but we weren't able to do anything because of the rain. It was fine with me as I've been to PV many times and I just thought of it as an adventure. Others were disappointed though. My understanding was that it is very rare for that kind of rain this time of year. Just a fluke for us. In Mazatlan I did the trolley tour that you can catch outside the cruise terminal. It was a good overview - not fantastic as I've done Mazatlan Frank and that is a fantastic tour. Keep in mind that they tell you the tour will last about 3 3 1/2 hours. It was 4 1/2 hours so if you are planning anything else I wouldn't go on the trolley tour as it is pretty "loose" in terms of timing.

In Cabo did the whale watching tour through Princess. It was great. Had a wonderful time and we saw whales about every 10-15 minutes. We didn't see any breaching but did see a few tails and lots swimming. There was only about 30 or so people on the tour so we didn't go out in a big boat. It was a smaller boat than I expected which was good. Just a tip - whatever boat you go out on, go to the bow of the boat and stand by the railing. It's easier to see whales no matter which side of the boat they are on You will see more this way. People on the top deck couldn't always see whales because by the time they ran to the other side the whales were under water again. At the front bow it was narrow so you could kind of pivot and see alot. We had a great group and it was really fun. Also, open bar and snacks on the way back. I ate at Solomon's Landing when I got back. Fantastic food and fantastic margaritas. I had shrimp enchiladas which isn't on the menu. They show chicken enchiladas, and shrimp burritos but I asked for shrimp enchiladas with green sauce and they made them for me - cost $12. Great place with a view of the marina.

A great trip. If you have any questions, I'll try and answer.

a couple of other things I enjoyed: the Milky Way Martini's. I typically like a straight up vodka martini but thought I would try a "dessert" one. It was soooo good. Also, the little cookies that are in the tray at the lobby bar (coffee bar) on deck 5 are really good. They don't look that appetizing but are really flavorful. Then at about 430 they come around with full size cookies. I had the peanut butter ones one day and they were fresh and warm right out of the oven. Yummy. I also liked going up to Skywalkers Lounge on 18 during the day for a full view of the wake and the horizon. Some people saw whales from up there. I saw some from the Promenade deck but not from Skywalkers. Also, I was back on the ship by about 3pm on Mazatlan day and went out to the Promenade Deck on the side that faces Stone Island and the channel. It was fun watching the different types of boats going by including a couple of big cargo ships and looking at the colorful, little houses on Stone Island.

I believe it was Samantha Hawker. I thought she was good during the shows but she seemed so distracted when she was out and about. Perhaps an off week for her or maybe it was just me. I did think that the other cruise staff members were really good. We had an excellent group of people on this cruise from staff to crew to passengers. The passenger mix was really great. All ages, couples, solos, mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, friends, sisters, brothers traveling together. It's always easy to find really nice people on cruises. Each cruise can have it's kind of "personality". This one had a wonderful "personality" Everyone having a good time, enjoying the cruise experience, friendly, interesting. Loved it!

I believe it was Samantha Hawker. I thought she was good during the shows but she seemed so distracted when she was out and about. Perhaps an off week for her or maybe it was just me. I did think that the other cruise staff members were really good. We had an excellent group of people on this cruise from staff to crew to passengers. The passenger mix was really great. All ages, couples, solos, mothers and daughters, fathers and sons, friends, sisters, brothers traveling together. It's always easy to find really nice people on cruises. Each cruise can have it's kind of "personality". This one had a wonderful "personality" Everyone having a good time, enjoying the cruise experience, friendly, interesting. Loved it!

If it is, we have known her for a long time. She is from the UK. We think she very good. She has been an ACD for a long time. Good for her with the new promotion as we just sailed with her on the CB in November. :)

Yep, it was a promotion for her. Ours was her first week as CD. She seemed to have a very sweet demeanor during the show. I probably ran into her out and about when she was really busy.

It's always nice to see people you've traveled with prior get promoted. The Staff Captain (which is the one 2nd in command) on our sailing was someone we sailed with 5 years ago on the Sapphire when he was 1st Officer. My niece and I had met him on the ship and received an invitation to the bridge from him. He's a really nice man and it was great to see he had received such a great promotion and he is a pretty young man.

We'll also be on the 3/13 Sapphire cruise. Your review is very helpful ... thanks for posting it. This will be my sixth Princess ship (Grand, Caribbean, Dawn, Emerald and Star) ... a bit diappointing to read that it's showing some signs of wear and tear. I haven't run into this before ... even the twenty-year-old Dawn was in pristine condition when we sailed to the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego a couple of years ago. Unlike some of the other larger vessels, the Sapphire has not yet been retrofitted for Movies Under The Stars, the International Cafe, or other innovations ... but the price is right, and it's a Princess cruise, so we'll survive.

We'll also be on the 3/13 Sapphire cruise. Your review is very helpful ... thanks for posting it. This will be my sixth Princess ship (Grand, Caribbean, Dawn, Emerald and Star) ... a bit diappointing to read that it's showing some signs of wear and tear. I haven't run into this before ... even the twenty-year-old Dawn was in pristine condition when we sailed to the Mexican Riviera out of San Diego a couple of years ago. Unlike some of the other larger vessels, the Sapphire has not yet been retrofitted for Movies Under The Stars, the International Cafe, or other innovations ... but the price is right, and it's a Princess cruise, so we'll survive.

Very, very little signs of wear and tear. The carpet a bit faded in the hallways is about all. Princess does a great job of keeping their ships in good shape. You will really enjoy your cruise on her.

Thanks for your review. I go on the Sapphire in 2 weeks. I was on the Crown in November for the last 2 years. I don't like the narrow promenade on the Crown either and am looking forward to the Sapphire's wide promenade. How was dinner in Sabatini's? I haven't done Sabatini's in a few years and plan to try it again. Can you get the full lobster dinner with a surcharge there?

Chloedmom,

I have always wondered about the movement and noise on Plaza deck. What was your experience? Did you hear the stablizers? anchor? was there a lot of movement? I am an extremely light sleeper and have been concerned about booking a cabin on Plaza deck.

Thanks for your great review! :D

Thanks for your review. I go on the Sapphire in 2 weeks. I was on the Crown in November for the last 2 years. I don't like the narrow promenade on the Crown either and am looking forward to the Sapphire's wide promenade. How was dinner in Sabatini's? I haven't done Sabatini's in a few years and plan to try it again. Can you get the full lobster dinner with a surcharge there?

Sabatini's was good but I preferred it when I did it 5 years ago. A bit of a different menu and presentation. You can get a lobster tail for your main course. It is included in the price. They don't have the option of the full lobster dinners like you can get for a surcharge in the Crown Grill on the Crown Princess. I ordered the lobster tail and I sent it back. It was really salty and kind of mushy. I'm not a real picky eater but it was yucky. I got the prawns instead and they were good. I also ate in Sterlings Steakhouse and preferred that. I had a filet mignon which was great and loved the spinach and artichoke dip. Also liked the rasberry creme brulee in Sterlings and just to state again the white chocolate mousse in Sabatini's was the best dessert I had all cruise. Best thing about Sabatini's in my opinion.

Have a wonderful time on the Sapphire!

Sabatini's was good but I preferred it when I did it 5 years ago. A bit of a different menu and presentation. You can get a lobster tail for your main course. It is included in the price. They don't have the option of the full lobster dinners like you can get for a surcharge in the Crown Grill on the Crown Princess. I ordered the lobster tail and I sent it back. It was really salty and kind of mushy. I'm not a real picky eater but it was yucky. I got the prawns instead and they were good. I also ate in Sterlings Steakhouse and preferred that. I had a filet mignon which was great and loved the spinach and artichoke dip. Also liked the rasberry creme brulee in Sterlings and just to state again the white chocolate mousse in Sabatini's was the best dessert I had all cruise. Best thing about Sabatini's in my opinion.

Have a wonderful time on the Sapphire!

Thanks. I'll have to try that dessert!! Spinach and artichoke dip sounds great, too. Yum.

Chloedmom,

I have always wondered about the movement and noise on Plaza deck. What was your experience? Did you hear the stablizers? anchor? was there a lot of movement? I am an extremely light sleeper and have been concerned about booking a cabin on Plaza deck.

Thanks for your great review! :D

Spingal - sorry I missed your question. It was really quiet on the Plaza deck. I heard the anchors when we were in port but it wasn't bad at all. I was already up though. It might wake you up, I don't know but I didn't think it was bad at all. I was in P220 so pretty far forward and didn't feel too much motion either. We had pretty smooth seas our week. I actually felt more motion at the very back of the ship. It kind of feels like an up and down motion back there. In terms of passenger noise I rarely heard people in the halls as the chances are less because of not being a full passenger deck. Another thing I noticed is that on the full decks it's just one looooonnngggg straight hallway. On the Plaza it kind of has a curve to the hallway so it just doesn't seem like such a narrow hallway to walk. It feel a bit more open. If I wasn't booking a balcony cabin I would definitely book a Plaza deck cabin over the OV Emerald deck cabins or inside cabins. I also really liked having the lobby bar that handy for coffee in the morning and also when getting back on the ship after port days it was just a short walk to my cabin.

I can't see your signature now that I'm posting so not sure when you are going on the Sapphire. I hope you have a great cruise.

Spingal - sorry I missed your question. It was really quiet on the Plaza deck. I heard the anchors when we were in port but it wasn't bad at all. I was already up though. It might wake you up, I don't know but I didn't think it was bad at all. I was in P220 so pretty far forward and didn't feel too much motion either. We had pretty smooth seas our week. I actually felt more motion at the very back of the ship. It kind of feels like an up and down motion back there. In terms of passenger noise I rarely heard people in the halls as the chances are less because of not being a full passenger deck. Another thing I noticed is that on the full decks it's just one looooonnngggg straight hallway. On the Plaza it kind of has a curve to the hallway so it just doesn't seem like such a narrow hallway to walk. It feel a bit more open. If I wasn't booking a balcony cabin I would definitely book a Plaza deck cabin over the OV Emerald deck cabins or inside cabins. I also really liked having the lobby bar that handy for coffee in the morning and also when getting back on the ship after port days it was just a short walk to my cabin.

I can't see your signature now that I'm posting so not sure when you are going on the Sapphire. I hope you have a great cruise.

Thank you!!! I am booked on the 4/10 sailing and have a guarantee OV cabin. I have always wanted to try Plaza deck so I hope I get a cabin close to where your cabin was located.

Thank you!!! I am booked on the 4/10 sailing and have a guarantee OV cabin. I have always wanted to try Plaza deck so I hope I get a cabin close to where your cabin was located.

I had booked the ov guarantee as well as it was $379 plus port taxes and got upgraded to Plaza. I will put good thoughts out there for you. Enjoy your cruise. I wish I was sailing again soon but alas have to wait until December.

Michelle

We were on this cruise also. I totally agree with you about the CD and Ass't CD. Both looked away as they walked around the ship and didn't even smile in anyone's direction.

The Trio in the Wheelhouse were TERRIBLE. We sat outside the Wheelhouse and played Scrabble while they were preforming. I tried to shut the doors of the bar that opened out to the hallway so we wouldn't have to listen to them, the lead singer was so off key. Hopefully Princess will notice how bad they are.

We played Trivia just about everyday and most of the Cruise Staff were pleasant. But Ian was downright rude. Someone said he was at the end of his contract and maybe didn't care but WOW, what rudeness. At another Trivia session, people were complaining about him a lot.

We do love the Sapphire.......

If it is, we have known her for a long time. She is from the UK. We think she very good. She has been an ACD for a long time. Good for her with the new promotion as we just sailed with her on the CB in November. :)

I got an email regarding my upcoming cruise and the CD is Samantha Hawker-Thomas.

Archived