Booking Onboard?

friedshrimp

I have a question. Can anyone tell me what, if any, perks are received for booking while onboard a ship? My DW and I will be sailing on the Emerald in July and if we like the ship (we know we like the iteniary), we want to book for Jun 2011 for my DD for her graduation from High School cruise). My little Princess wants to go on a Princess cruise (sorry, just had to say that)! I see there is a desk for booking future cruises, so is there any advantage to booking while on the ship? Can you only book Princess cruises or other cruises as well (sister companies) and if you can book sister companies, are there any advantages there? Just trying to dertermine all the ins and outs ahead of time (so I can carry the right plastic onboard with me). Thanks for any info y'all can provide!

You put down a smaller deposit. It is normally $200 per couple. You can either book a specific cruise or an open ended reservation, meaning you don't have to book anything specific. You also normally receive an onboard credit per cabin.

Your reservation is open ended is good for four years and if you ever decide you don't want to do the cruise you can get a full refund of your deposit.

Future bookings are only available for Princess on their ships.

I concur with the above........you can purchase a future cruise credit for as little as $100 per person. That will be your deposit for a future cruise. So you are saving by not having to put down anywhere from $250-$500 deposit on your next cruise. When you purchase the future cruise credit for $100 you also get onboard credit anywhere from $25-$100 or so depending on the type of cabin you choose. So its a pretty good deal. You do have to use the credit within 4 yrs and it is fully refundable.

As others have said, this will work for you and your wife, booking a future cruise onboard and receiving a lowered deposit and a shipboard credit for doing so. But if your DD is not on this next cruise with you, you will not be able to book and receive the same perks for her. Future cruise perks will only be offered to those who are physically onboard at the time of booking. These are non-transferable and will not be extended to your daughter unless she is sailing with you at the time of booking. They are offered to the first two passengers in a stateroom only. Not sure if you plan to join your daughter on her graduation cruise, or if you had planned on three in a cabin or not (need a little more information there to give you a complete answer). ;)

Also, future cruises for Princess are all that you can book onboard, other cruise lines under the CCL line, such as HAL and others, can not be booked onboard a Princess ships. Enjoy!

If they want to book a triple cabin to accomodate them both plus DD, could they not board a triple occupancy cabin on board for the two of them, then add DD into the cabin afterwards?

Yes, if they actually book a stateroom that will accomodate three passengers, and the DD is added while there is still space available for a triple occupancy (towards sailing date, many times they will not allow you to add another passenger even if you are booked in a triple, if the ship has reached it's limit for triple and quad occupancy). But the DD would still not receive the shipboard credit associated with the future cruise booking, as it is only good for the first two passengers in a stateroom.

As noted above, all individuals must physically be on the ship in order to qualify for the reduced deposit and onboard credit, and it only applies to the first two passengers in a given accommodation. We tried to reserve space for some family members, but were advised of this requirement ... no exceptions. It's simply a perk/incentive for passengers ... and some advance money in the bank for Princess. We like the program and use it on every cruise.

My DD and DS (yeah...right...okay...just S, of course the same could be said about D at times too) are going to be on the cruise in 2011. We are also planning on booking an inside across the hall (we are getting a balcony for ourselves) for my DW's brother and his DW, so 6 people, 2 cabins. What I understand is we can book all of that while on the ship if we know what date and ship we want, but we only get the $100 deposit on my DW and myself since we are the only ones on the current cruise at the time of the booking. Does that mean we pay full deposit on the other 4? And no OBCs for the other 4 as well? If this is the case, it is probably better to see if I can find a deal on the Internet a little closer to cruise time?!?

My DD and DS (yeah...right...okay...just S, of course the same could be said about D at times too) are going to be on the cruise in 2011. We are also planning on booking an inside across the hall (we are getting a balcony for ourselves) for my DW's brother and his DW, so 6 people, 2 cabins. What I understand is we can book all of that while on the ship if we know what date and ship we want, but we only get the $100 deposit on my DW and myself since we are the only ones on the current cruise at the time of the booking. Does that mean we pay full deposit on the other 4? And no OBCs for the other 4 as well? If this is the case, it is probably better to see if I can find a deal on the Internet a little closer to cruise time?!?

Those not on the upcoming cruise with you will not be able to get any shipboard credit from Princess, even if you book their cabin for them while you are onboard.

I agree, you could probably find a much better deal for them with a travel agent if you wait for those $100 deposit specials that include shipboard credit that many travel agents run several times a year.

Those not on the upcoming cruise with you will not be able to get any shipboard credit from Princess, even if you book their cabin for them while you are onboard.

I agree, you could probably find a much better deal for them with a travel agent if you wait for those $100 deposit specials that include shipboard credit that many travel agents run several times a year.

Thanks T2K

Yes, if they actually book a stateroom that will accomodate three passengers, and the DD is added while there is still space available for a triple occupancy (towards sailing date, many times they will not allow you to add another passenger even if you are booked in a triple, if the ship has reached it's limit for triple and quad occupancy). But the DD would still not receive the shipboard credit associated with the future cruise booking, as it is only good for the first two passengers in a stateroom.

Just to clarify......You cannot book a triple for two people and then add a 3rd person later. You would have to book a double. If a third person joins then you have to change your cabin to a triple. I just found this out the other day when I booked my 2011 wedding cruise. My sister and her partner are booked and "possibly" have 2 other people that "may" share a cabin with them. Well since the other couple is not a for sure thing right now, they wouldnt let me book the quad and add the other two later. They had to book a double. TA said princess doesnt allow that so that they can get maximum capacity.

I have never heard of the cruise line only allowing two people to book a double. In fact, we have often booked staterooms with drop down beds for the 3rd person with only two of us in the cabin. So, I am a bit confused with this statement by your TA.

Just to clarify......You cannot book a triple for two people and then add a 3rd person later. You would have to book a double. If a third person joins then you have to change your cabin to a triple. I just found this out the other day when I booked my 2011 wedding cruise. My sister and her partner are booked and "possibly" have 2 other people that "may" share a cabin with them. Well since the other couple is not a for sure thing right now, they wouldnt let me book the quad and add the other two later. They had to book a double. TA said princess doesnt allow that so that they can get maximum capacity.

Think the TA either didn't understand your question or just didn't know what she was talking about. Princess will allow you to book for only 2 people a stateroom that will allow 3 or 4. You can't book it as a "quad" and leave the other two names off but you can book it as a double and then hope the ship's capacity will allow the additional people when you are ready to include them.

When we sailed on the Crown we booked an open ended future cruise while on board, which Princess transferred to our TA for the booking. They also provided us with a coupon so that if we convinced friends who had never sailed Princess before to join us on the future cruise they would extend the same onboard credit we got to our friends. It worked out perfectly for our Med cruise on the Emerald.

When we sailed on the Crown we booked an open ended future cruise while on board' date=' which Princess transferred to our TA for the booking. They also provided us with a coupon so that if we convinced friends who had never sailed Princess before to join us on the future cruise they would extend the same onboard credit we got to our friends. It worked out perfectly for our Med cruise on the Emerald.[/quote']

And that was a great way to get friends the same benefits as you would get. Unfortunately, these friends and family certificates are no longer valid and you can not get them from the future cruise consultant onboard. It was very nice while it lasted though.

Archived