Celebrity Solstice 11/28/10 Pied Piper Post Thanksgiving

paul1268

Ha....when you isolate my quote like that, I notice that it's AN excellent value.

I agree with you about this year being a better itinerary than last year. I can't wait to speaka ze French on Saint Martin, enjoy some gay nightlife in San Juan and relax on the beautiful beaches of Saint Thomas. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Chacchoben Mayan ruins last year (even though I could not for the life of me understand what our guide was saying). This year will definitely be a step up though.

I think you can also fairly say that the Solstice is appreciably more high-end than Liberty of the Seas last year. So it all evens out.

A bunch of you seem like pros at this. This is my first pied piper trip so I'm not sure how anything goes. How are the group functions on the ship? Will they tell us prior to cruising when they are or will we have a list of activities waiting in our staterooms?

TimATL - I forgot about being in San Juan til late. A gay night on the town actually sounds like a good idea!! :p

A bunch of you seem like pros at this. This is my first pied piper trip so I'm not sure how anything goes. How are the group functions on the ship? Will they tell us prior to cruising when they are or will we have a list of activities waiting in our staterooms?

They have a hospitality desk on the ship where you'll go when you board to pick up a packet listing all the activities and events. Every cruise I've been on had a midnight costume party, so they'll tell us in advance what the theme is so you can pack for it.

I think you can also fairly say that the Solstice is appreciably more high-end than Liberty of the Seas last year. So it all evens out.

Indeed, I've talked up Celebrity so much to our friends since last year's cruise that I hope I haven't built up crazy expectations.

Pied Piper sends out an email with the planned activities for the cruise a few weeks in advance and then, as 02143 mentioned, you'll pick up the event schedule at the hospitality desk on the first day of the cruise telling you the specifics of when and where each activity is to take place.

Last year, we had the follow events: a welcome aboard cocktail party, a singles' mixer, a women's mixer, the Pied Piper Karaoke Idol competition (a two night event), a movie night, a uniform themed costume party, a beach bash shore excursion in Cozumel (which was extra), a comedy night and the Rainbow Family Feud.

Indeed, I've talked up Celebrity so much to our friends since last year's cruise that I hope I haven't built up crazy expectations.

I don't think so, especially since you're all staying in the uber-chic Aqua Class. :D

So I was just thinking about onboard activities, and probably my favorite activity of all last year was an unorganized one: hanging out in the Schooner Bar every night drinking cocktails and listening to (and sometimes singing along with) the piano man.

For those of you who have been on the Solstice class before: is there a comparable bar onboard with live music?

I like the description for Crush, "an intriguing alcove off The Martini Bar, Crush is a cool, classy setting featuring an ice-filled table center. Chat the night away with an intimate group or a small party while experiencing exquisite Caviar and Vodka pairings."

Let's hope the movie night is planned a bit better. Last year the movie night was the night before the big excursion that left the ship at 7 am. Needless to say when the movie started there were only a handful of people. At the end, I could count the attendance on one hand.

I just checked prices for this cruise on the celebrity web site and it looks like they have gone down since I have booked. Does anyone know if Pied Piper will give us OBC for the difference?

And yes, I plan on contacting Pied Piper but was hoping to get a firm answer before calling. :-)

Thanks for any info.

David

David,

If you do find out can you please post the answer here please? I was wondering the same as I'd just received an email notice from Pied Piper about the price decrease. Could go towards a nice spa treatment....

Ciao!

That's good news about the price decrease. The prices are back down to the lowest levels that I've seen quoted so far for this cruise.

I'm pretty sure that Pied Piper only gives you a stateroom credit if you've made your final payment already. That doesn't happen for us until mid-September. So if a price decrease happens before then, I believe they just adjust your invoice accordingly, so the balance that you owe simply goes down.

Let us know if you hear otherwise from Pied Piper.

This blurb was in the fine print of the bottom of the email:

Reservations for passengers already booked have been adjusted for any lower cruise fares, if applicable.

I'm assuming that our total cost will be adjusted. This trip is already wonderful and I haven't even step foot on the ship. ;-)

We just got an email back from the cruise ship spa management that during the week long cruise the use of the sauna (wet & dry) there's a $200 charge per cabin - couple!!! Just to let you know...

We just got an email back from the cruise ship spa management that during the week long cruise the use of the sauna (wet & dry) there's a $200 charge per cabin - couple!!! Just to let you know...

There's a whole suite called the Persian Garden which is included in the price if you want to do some research as to what you get. If you decide to book Aqua Class, entry is included with that. Just some things to consider. The last few cruiselines I've been on (Royal, Holland-America) had this model with a tiny free sauna and a charge for a complex with heated loungers, steam rooms, and saunas.

So is it $100 per person then for the Persian Garden, or is there some kind of couple's discount whereby the per person price is higher than half the couple's rate?

What's with the relaxation lounge? Is that just for AquaClass, or is it included in Persian Garden, or is it open to everyone, or is it a seperate price altogether?

Should have done my research first. :p I found this on another thread.

"Guests who purchase a Persian Garden Pass are able to use the Spa Relaxation Lounge and the Spa Veranda along with the Persian Garden."

the email we got back from the ship

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

The Persian Garden will offer a limited number of passes (on a first come, first served basis) to guests onboard at the following rates:

-Individual weekly passes are $99.00.

-Couples weekly passes are $179.00.

-Daily passes will be sold if demand permits. Passes are $20.00 per person.

-Persian Garden access is complimentary for all AquaClass and Suite guests.

-Passes will be sold to guests with and without treatments booked.

A separate area for men and women is available.

hi everyone,

just found this thread today.

we went last year, post thanksgiving with pied piper and it was wonderful. we must have been 8 or 9 hundred people on a ship for 4600 (the liberty), but there was complete acceptance by the other guests. there were no incidents that i am aware of, of homophobia. the staff of the ship and the pipers are all great, the parties were terrific, and the social events that pp crew did for us were all wonderful. and you could be alone and away from it all if you so desired. we signed up immediately for this year, at the end of last year's cruise, and got the cabin that we wanted for sure.

haven't been on this ship, but we LOVE celebrity. that and HOLLAND AMERICA are out 2 favorites. the attention to detail, the food, the shows, all wonderful on celebrity. we should have a great time.

so you newbies, fear not a gay group on a straight cruise........it's all cool..

oh, and they definitely adjust your invoice as the price drops. not to worry. pied piper is an amazingly efficient, well run, customer friendly outfit. we really like them.

david and john,

fort lauderdale

5 minutes from the port.....................................:cool:

Hey Guys

I am interested in going on this cruise but wanted to see if I could someone to Share a Room with since I will traveling alone. I know Pied Piper Travel has option for single travelers, but would prefer to try to find someone on my own first before I exercise that option. Anyone know of any friends that are considering gonig but in the same position as me?

My Bio: I am a fairly attractive 33 year old gay white male from Indiana. I am slim, 5’6”, 138#, brown hair/blue eyes. More of clean cut professional. I am very easy going and laid back. I am more of an organized and tighty person that picks up after themselves. I am outgoing person and I am not flamboyant.

I’ve been on about a dozen cruises, but all have been straight cruises. Thanks!

Hey,

Probably best to take this off the forum. Prorably against some rules. but if you are still looking for someone to share on this cruise, our friend is looking also. You can email me at nate.watson@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Nate

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I will be joining you on this one. I am traveling with my good friend Carlos from Buenos Aires. We are both single and looking forward to meeting new friends on board, and I am hoping to meet up with some of my old friends from previous Pied Piper cruises.

We will be staying 2 nights prior to departure at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. If anyone would like to meet us out for drinks the night before departure, let me know. This is my first Post-Thanksgiving cruise, which I understand has the largest PP group. With the number of people sailing, does Pied Piper suggest any get together locale the night before sailing?

Jamie

Man I'm a little bummed to find out about this Pied Piper sailing. A group of us from Dallas are going to be on this sailing, but made our reservation thru another travel agency. But hopefully we will be able to meet some of you all.

You can call Pied Piper and maybe transfer your reservation over to them. Or cancel the one you have and rebook with PP. I would call PP first and ask them what to do.

I did contact them today. We will lose some of the incentives the other travel agency offered, so I have to get the groups approval on giving those up. I know there are parties and stuff PP does on board so I'm trying to gather up the positives to convince them to switch.

Archived