NCL more like Princess or Carnival

xeroxme

I have sailed both Princess and NCL. I really like the Princess product, that being said I really like the NCL product as well. My NCL cruise was a 4 day on board the Sky, which was the only crusie shorter than 7 days I have ever taken.

I felt that NCL was more similar to Princess than different. NCL is a bit more laid back, but still a very nice atmosphere. My next cruise will be on board the NCL star next month and I can not wait!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I Like Princess a lot, But the energy of carnival is amusing too. It's great to hear that from someone who has cruised Princess as much as you. When I posted I didn't realize there is a post comparing NCL to Carnival which is helpful. By the way do you feel the food is comparable to Princess.

I'm considering a cruise on NCL. I've been on Princess and Carnival. Anyone who has cruised NCL and these other lines have an opinion please.

Would the experience be more like Princess or Carnival? or neither

Both and neither.. NCL is more middle of the road. Princess is a little more subdued and CArnival more active. The cabins on NCL are more like Princess, not as large as Carnival. Of course the Freestyle comes closer to matching Princes's "personal choice" Depending on the ship, I think Princess ships are more elegant than NCLs but Carnivals are way more gaudy!!!! The buffets on NCL are the best, with Carnival being next.

You can see, why I say the same and yet different.

Nita

Thanks for the quick feedback. I Like Princess a lot, But the energy of carnival is amusing too. It's great to hear that from someone who has cruised Princess as much as you. When I posted I didn't realize there is a post comparing NCL to Carnival which is helpful. By the way do you feel the food is comparable to Princess.

As for food: we enjoyed the entrees in Princess better because we love seafood and they seem to have a better selection: You have seen my opinion of the buffets, we loved the specialty dining experience for food in Sabastinis but the service was the worst we have had on any cruise at any time and like idiots we still tipped the guy extra..

Nita

I would agree...kind of a hybrid. Has more to offer in some aspects. That being said, if I were choosing, it would depend on cabin type. If non-suite, I'd choose choose Princess (Caribe deck balcony) over the others but I do like the casualness and flexibility of NCL. Princess seems very consistent.

Princess is definately a bit more subdued than NCL, like others have said. My stateroom on NCL was smaller, but definately adequate. I thought I would never cruise any other line than Princess, but then I realized it would be best to see what other lines had to offer and I am glad I did.

As far as food goes, you definately won't go hungry on NCL. I would give Princess a slight edge over NCL, however I enjoyed every dish I had on NCL.

Thanks for the feedback again. I wanted to try NCL for a while and your help has put me at ease. It's easy to do the same because you know what to expect. However, we all cruise or vacation for new experiences. Your help is greatly appreciated and is why I constantly read cruise critic for info before taking a cruise. Happy travels to all!!!

My sailing record is shown below. Last week on NCL's Pearl our group of 13 was unanimous in the opinion that the service did not match up to RCCL's. We liked the freedom of "Freestyle" dining, but the fact that one does not specifically tip those servers means that they have less incentive to provide excellent service. In addition, you do not get to know your server.

Other comparisons between NCL's Pearl/Jewel and RCCL's Enchantment/Grandeur:

The NCL ships (named above) do not have a second pool that allows one to get away from the noisy band and still be near a pool. The RCCL ships have an indoor pool with a removable roof.

There are more dinner options on the NCL's, although most have an additional charge, which seems to be a growing "feature".

The shower on the NCL ships is bigger than the RCCL ships.

The running track is longer (and maybe wider) on the RCCL ships.

We like the RCCL ships' Windjammer cafe more than the NCL Garden cafe. (Person preference here.)

Both lines continually try to get in your pocket--or rather get at your card. I'm sick of hearing about how great Bingo is and the great deals to be had on jewelry and art. It is obvious that the bar servers get tips based on the number of drinks sold, because they are everywhere. Same on both lines, though.

Incidentally, because of the service issue, we'll switch from NCL to RCCL or another line next year.

My sailing record is shown below. Last week on NCL's Pearl our group of 13 was unanimous in the opinion that the service did not match up to RCCL's. We liked the freedom of "Freestyle" dining, but the fact that one does not specifically tip those servers means that they have less incentive to provide excellent service. In addition, you do not get to know your server.

The NCL ships (named above) do not have a second pool that allows one to get away from the noisy band and still be near a pool. The RCCL ships have an indoor pool with a removable roof.

There are more dinner options on the NCL's, although most have an additional charge, which seems to be a growing "feature".

We like the RCCL ships' Windjammer cafe more than the NCL Garden cafe. (Person preference here.)

Both lines continually try to get in your pocket--or rather get at your card. I'm sick of hearing about how great Bingo is and the great deals to be had on jewelry and art. It is obvious that the bar servers get tips based on the number of drinks sold, because they are everywhere. Same on both lines, though.

Incidentally, because of the service issue, we'll switch from NCL to RCCL or another line next year.

wow, unless I am in the public areas I never hear any announcements about anything. In fact when we want to hear something we either turn on the TV or open the door. The PA system about Bingo etc can be heard in the public areas. like the pool area but we have learned to turn it off so it doesn't bother us...It did drive me crazy when these announcements used to be heard in the cabin. That was a pain for sure.

As for dining choices, mostly sur charge, are you saying RCI has more free choices? I would have to disagree. NCL still has several places to eat with no charge..

The one thing that I would agree with; traditional dining does give you an opportunity to bond with your wait staff and to many that is important. Our problem with that, the two dining times: 6:15 is too early and 8:15 is too late, again just a personal choice. We love being able to decide if we want to eat at 6pm (rarely) or 7:30. We have discovered, if you find a wait person that you really like, you can request that person every night. It solved the problem of bonding...

As I and many have said, there is no line that is prefect for everyone. We find Carnival, NCL and RCI all pretty equal, just a matter of the things that are important to each of us. Our worst food and service has been on RCI, but that is simply the luck of the draw.

Nita

Sometimes it's just luck..or lack of.

My one and only cruise on RCCL gave me the worst service I have ever experienced while cruising in the dining room and it is the ONLY cruise I have ever taken where the cabin steward did not introduce him/herself.

I was pretty disappointed in the food as well....ok, I was actually very disappointed.

HOWEVER, none of that would stop me from giving the line another go. (IF I could find a decent deal. RCCL tends to be priced too high for the product IMO).

To the OP...the only way you'll know if you like NCL, is to try it yourself. :)

Sometimes it's just luck..or lack of.

My one and only cruise on RCCL gave me the worst service I have ever experienced while cruising in the dining room and it is the ONLY cruise I have ever taken where the cabin steward did not introduce him/herself.

I was pretty disappointed in the food as well....ok, I was actually very disappointed.

HOWEVER, none of that would stop me from giving the line another go. (IF I could find a decent deal. RCCL tends to be priced too high for the product IMO).

To the OP...the only way you'll know if you like NCL, is to try it yourself. :)

Have fun on the Triumph!!!!!You are sooooo lucky to be going back to NO!! Wow is that city going to be wound up. Say HEYYYYYYY to the gang for us. The trip I took last week was nice but not as nice as the Dawn, I'll tell you about it sometime. Wishing you good weather and happy times. Barb:)

IMO, it may be ships to compare, not lines. We choose different cruiselines for different reasons. Price, Size, Itinerary...

After my 2nd cruise on NCL (because the price was right), I much better prefer Carnival and Princess. I just feel that these lines may be as crowded but never felt crowded as I did on the NCL's Gem.

But I still enjoyed my cruise!

IMO, it may be ships to compare, not lines. We choose different cruiselines for different reasons. Price, Size, Itinerary...

After my 2nd cruise on NCL (because the price was right), I much better prefer Carnival and Princess. I just feel that these lines may be as crowded but never felt crowded as I did on the NCL's Gem.

But I still enjoyed my cruise!

and we felt RCI was the most crowded of any line. I can't imagine why you thought the GEm seemed crowded..We thought Princess did a few years ago as well, especially the buffet, it was a nightmere all the time. I guess it depends on the ship, as you say as much as the line itself..

Nita

Archived