Emerald Princess - Boarding Time

JDKMunch

Hi - This is my first time sailing on Princess cruise lines and have a question about how early I can get on the ship. Were leaving from Ft. Lauderdale and would like to be one of the first people on the ship. I've sailed over 15 times on RCI and usually got on early being a Diamond member. Without any special treatment what time should I get to the dock?

Thanks!

Can't wait - with all the cutbacks RCI has been doing lately were excited about going on another line.

I understand on Princess, you can go directly to your room and drop off your carry-ons, then go to lunch. Is this accurate? On HAL and RCCL, you have to keep your carry-ons with you until they open the staterooms, normally around 1400. So you're sitting in the buffet with your carry-ons at one table and you at the next.

I understand on Princess, you can go directly to your room and drop off your carry-ons, then go to lunch. Is this accurate? On HAL and RCCL, you have to keep your carry-ons with you until they open the staterooms, normally around 1400. So you're sitting in the buffet with your carry-ons at one table and you at the next.

When you board a Princess ship your cabin is ready. No toting around bags like other ships.

On the Ruby, we arrived Ft. lauderdale port at 11:15pm. We were asked to sit in the waiting lounge until noon and we were given numbers (we had #3). At noon they began calling people by the numbers assigned.

Check in was faster than any RCCL or Carnival cruise I've taken. It's very nice how they have the check in proccess divided by decks, so they are about 8-10 lines with different deck names on top. You go to whichever deck you have.

Once you board the ship, your cabin is already made. That is the main reason why they don't allow boarding until noon. No reason to wait or have lunch before you leave your stuff in your cabin. We loved it.

The Ruby princess is a sister of the Emerald and we enjoyed it. I would personally recommend getting to port after 11:00am because you will have to wait until noon.... but if you are like us (we cannot wait to be at least looking at the ship):D you can go as early as 11:00am, take pictures, read magazine or stare at the cruise until you are able to board.

Happy sailings

Would you say it's better to come early ..say 11ish as opposed to their recommended time of after 2pm to avoid long lines?

Wouldn't there still be lines at 11am?

Get there aroun 11:00 or 11:30 and beat the BUS crowd from the airport....You will be onboard watching the busses arive:) I cant wait until Emerald in 40days!!!

When you board a Princess ship your cabin is ready. No toting around bags like other ships.

Oooo, I'm getting all bubbly inside now! Can't wait. I just may show up the night before and help with the docking/disembarkation procedures (I know I can make them move faster so I can get on quicker)!

My partner and I are taking my Mom (age 67) on her first cruise on the Emerald Princess in June. Since we live in Fort Lauderdale not far from the pier, we usually get a ride pretty early and wait. With Mom with us, I would want to reduce her wait time as much as possible.

I hadn't even thought about avoiding the "bus" crowd coming from the airport or other local hotels. We will try to get to the pier early enough to avoid them but not too early that we will be waiting too long.

I'm also glad to hear that Princess will board once the cabins are ready! It's nice to be able to put your carryon things in the cabin instead of carrying them around during your first lunch on the ship. Besides, I know my Mom will overpack (as most newbies do) and WE will be the ones carrying around the stuff that she more than likely won't need! :eek:

Happy Sailing Everyone!

Angel :)

Last March we sailed on the Ruby and arrived at the port around 11am. We were elite and boarded around 11:45 and yes you are able to go right to your cabin and drop your hand luggage off. We then head up to the buffet for lunch and then stroll the ship before it gets too busy.

Archived