waterproof mattress cover?

rjm11

OK moms out there... I am dealing with a 4 year old who is still having trouble staying dry at night (even with fluid restriction after dinner), and REFUSES to wear a pull up (those are for babies, like her brother!). She is wetting the bed at least once a week, and I'm panicking that I'll be bugging the room steward for extra sheets non-stop this summer if it isn't better by then.

My question: have any of you ever requested a waterproof mattress cover? Are there covers on there already? I don't want to ruin the mattress! We can't be the only ones dealing with this!

thoughts?

OK moms out there... I am dealing with a 4 year old who is still having trouble staying dry at night (even with fluid restriction after dinner), and REFUSES to wear a pull up (those are for babies, like her brother!). She is wetting the bed at least once a week, and I'm panicking that I'll be bugging the room steward for extra sheets non-stop this summer if it isn't better by then.

My question: have any of you ever requested a waterproof mattress cover? Are there covers on there already? I don't want to ruin the mattress! We can't be the only ones dealing with this!

thoughts?

Thats a first for me.. You may have a little better luck posting this over at the Family cruising board also.

Good question ..;)

I posted it over there too, and did a search that suggested BRINGING a waterproof mattress cover, but that's a lot to bring if it's something the ship could possibly supply. I know this is also an issue for some at the other end of the timeline, so to speak, so I would think this might discreetly come up?

I agree . I have to believe that they have something that would cover this issue .As far as incontinence for the older folk , they I'm sure would just use Depends or such . I also did a quick search and found nothing . You may have come up with the 5 year question here on CC.

;)

I woudl try calling NCL to see they provide these on board. Otherwise if you can't bring one with you, maybe you can try those blue chuck type pad to put under her. I use them for my mom. Good luck. I hope everything works out ok.

Another great question! I don't have an answer but a suggestion. I would tell DD4 that if she plans on going with us on a big girl vacation than she has to be completely potty trained before we go or she HAS to wear the pull-ups at night. PERIOD There is no other option unless she plans on staying home from the cruise with grandma. Emphasis that you would hate to have to travel without here. I bet she will be completely potty trained in less than a month!

Good luck! Unless you want to drag one with you to cover the matress with once you board, I really see no other options.

I have a couple of bedwetters who have issues about twice a month. They don't use pullups at home, but I can get them to use them on vacation (goodnites). We do have a quilted waterproof pad that is about 2 feet x 4 feet, but if your child moves around in bed, it's not much help (as I listen to my dryer spin the 5th time today...). How about bringing a plastic mattress cover (take up little room) to put over the sheets, and asking for an extra set, so if she has an accident in the night, just remove sheet and plastic cover.

Our pad is similar, but smaller, than this: http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=6773&parentCategoryId=85180&categoryId=117215&subCategoryId=86184

I would get something like this and pack a few for the trip. They are available at drugstores, are folded down pretty small when coming out of the box, are disposable when used and re-usable when not used. Good luck.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Protective-Products/Disposable-Underpad/ID=prod4232710&navCount=1&navAction=push-product

I would get something like this and pack a few for the trip. They are available at drugstores and are folded down pretty small when coming out of the box. Good luck.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Protective-Products/Disposable-Underpad/ID=prod4232710&navCount=1&navAction=push-product

OP, incase you didn't know what a chuck was, that is pretty much it. You can throw them away if she wets them and not have to worry about washing anything. They come on all sizes.:)

thanks everyone... some great ideas. I think the shower curtain is a really good one, as are the disposable pads (chucks if you will :) ). On the family board, someone posted that they had a similar issue (I KNEW I wasn't alone!) and mentioned it to their room steward, who assured them he'd take care of it, not to worry about a thing, and have a great trip. Didn't say which line, or if by "take care of it" they had a mattress cover, but that's what I'm assuming.

Does anyone have the email for the ship coordinator? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask...

thanks everyone... some great ideas. I think the shower curtain is a really good one, as are the disposable pads (chucks if you will :) ). On the family board, someone posted that they had a similar issue (I KNEW I wasn't alone!) and mentioned it to their room steward, who assured them he'd take care of it, not to worry about a thing, and have a great trip. Didn't say which line, or if by "take care of it" they had a mattress cover, but that's what I'm assuming.

Does anyone have the email for the ship coordinator? I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask...

I don't know which ship you're sailing, but if it's the Gem, for example, it would be GroupEventGem@ncl.com. :)

Another great question! I don't have an answer but a suggestion. I would tell DD4 that if she plans on going with us on a big girl vacation than she has to be completely potty trained before we go or she HAS to wear the pull-ups at night. PERIOD There is no other option unless she plans on staying home from the cruise with grandma. Emphasis that you would hate to have to travel without here. I bet she will be completely potty trained in less than a month!

Good luck! Unless you want to drag one with you to cover the matress with once you board, I really see no other options.

Bedwetting is NOT an issue of being potty trained or not. It's something over which the child has no control. It happens when they're asleep.

I do agree though that wearing the pull-ups should be a condition of the vacation. That shouldn't be negotiable.

Bedwetting is NOT an issue of being potty trained or not. It's something over which the child has no control. It happens when they're asleep.

I do agree though that wearing the pull-ups should be a condition of the vacation. That shouldn't be negotiable.

True. In very young children, it's a organ development issue. Some little bodies just take longer than others.

Same thing happens with puppies. That's why you shouldn't beat your pup if it has an accident. They're organs need to grow a bit more.

Tangent.. I apologize.

yes- she is trying very hard, and is also frustrated (and a little ashamed) about why the bed wetting is occurring... I am trying hard to minimize those feelings for her, so I'm not pushing the pull up issue. Also, I don't want to make threats/negotiations about not taking her with us that I am not willing to actually follow through on! You learn pretty quick that that is the fastest way to discredit your parenting!

But thanks to all who have posted suggestions.... I'm going to email the ship coordinator to see if a waterproof mattress cover can be provided, and I'll post back any replies I get.

The Pearl Coordinator responded that they do NOT have anything that will suffice onboard, so I am back to bringing my own. Maybe by this summer we won't need it (hopefully, hopefully), but I'll look into the other options just in case! Thanks everyone!

True. In very young children, it's a organ development issue. Some little bodies just take longer than others.

Same thing happens with puppies. That's why you shouldn't beat your pup if it has an accident. They're organs need to grow a bit more.

Tangent.. I apologize.

Actually, in some children, it can take up until the age of 8 or 9, and in a small amount of children, it takes until puberty.

Actually, in some children, it can take up until the age of 8 or 9, and in a small amount of children, it takes until puberty.

Our son had this same problem until he was about 9. The doctor explained that it was a combination of a genetically short urethra that needed time to grow and an extra sound sleeping pattern. Our son did NOT want this to happen to him - but he just did not wake up in time, so I know exactly what you are dealing with. We made sure to never make him feel ashamed but did take extra measures to minimize his embarrassment and the clean-up. This was before the days of pullups, so those disposable pads were the way we handled it.

two out of three of my kids had bedwetting problems, even though they were completely potty trained. It is not her fault, but she needs to wear the pull up. Our pediatrician, whose own kids had the same issue, said buy the goodnights, and call them her night time underpants. Do not buy pull ups because she will think they are for babies, the good nights are made for older kids, and hopefully she will look at it that way. Let her know there are lots of kids her age that wear them at night, and she probably alot she knows from school/preschool that she wouldn't even know. Explain to her no one is even going to know or care. My kids were 12 before outgrowing the bedwetting and nighttime underpants sure beat washing sheets all the time. We tried the medication, but it works only in a small percentage of the kids. Good luck and the shower curtain sounds like a good back up.

I was at the dollar store today and saw they have some vinyl table covers, like for birthday parties. I thought this might make a good temp. bed liner. Might break easy but worth a try. I thought this might not be as crispy as a shower curtain under the sheets. Whatever you decide I would sure put it through a trial run at home and make sure:

1) It works and and provides the moisture resistence you're looking for

2) She tolerates sleeping on it. See if she makes it through the night sleeping on a foreign object.

If it works at home, it should work on the boat.

Have a great trip.

It sure would make it alot more stress free for all involved. Sounds pretty simple to me.

Archived