New to HAL - Questions about Oosterdam and the Mexican Riveria

joyus

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to HAL and have a couple of questions -- We're on the Oosterdam on 4/23/05 to the Mexican Riveria, this is my Christmas and birthday gift to my mom. My questions are:

(1) Are there room safe's in all cabins? (booked VC);

(2) My mom or I do not snorkel and she has no interested in horseback riding - any other interesting things to do in Mexico?

(3) How long does disembarkation generally take in San Diego? I'm making my own flight arrangements back to Ft. Lauderdale.

I sure would appreciate whatever input you may have to offer. Thank you

What a nice present for your mother! There are other things to do in Mexico. Mostly they would be city tours and tours of the countryside. There are also tours that include Mexican dancers (In Mazatlan) and I believe golf is available. You can look at the tours by going to the HAL website and pulling up the shore excursions area. You can pull up a shore excursion brochure for Mexico in pdf. format also. :)

With disembarkation, the cruise line is at the mercy of the US Immigration officials. Since 9/11 there has been more delays. I would not recommend booking any flight prior to 12pm. Hope this helps!:cool:

I am on the 4/23 to Mexico and am also taking my mom as a retirement present to her! There will be 7 of us total, my family (hubby and two children), my mom and my little brother and his girlfriend. It's so ironic that you posted this, as I've started planning excursions and my mom replied that she won't snorkel, won't horseback ride and wants some laid back excursions - just yesterday!! I'm dealing w/ the same "activity" dilema as you are!

We are also looking into this cruise, but possibly a different date. We will have my parents with use who don't do the above activities, so I am very interested in this thread.

I do know that the airport is just down the street from the pier, so your travel time will not be long.

Most all cruise lines carry sugar substitutes and have sugar free desserts. My Dad is also diabetic.

FT. Lauderdale? If I lived in FLL, I would be on a cruise every week. Too bad you have to fly to catch this cruise. :rolleyes:

We've booked a whale watching tour in Cabo, but have no definite plans for Mazatlan or Puerta Vallarta.

We'll probably walk from the ship to the lighthouse (El Faro) in Mazatlan, then walk back to the central square and cathedral stopping to sample the outdoor cafes along the way.

In PV we'll most likely hire a taxi for a general tour in the AM then decide what to go back to in the PM.

We'll at least visit a beach in Mazatlan so Makrewser can dip her foot into the Gulf of California (she has a "thing" about walking in every body of water we visit).

Watch for my posts early next month and I'll mention what we actually end up doing!

Yes, there are sugar substitutes, both Equal and Sweet n' Low.

And there are low-sugar and no-sugar type desserts on the menu every night.

My husband is a diabetic, and he had no problem finding plenty of "sweets" he could eat.

We sailed on the Oosterdam in November.

I live near Ft. L .. and I wish I *could* cruise every week!

Dave-

If I may make a recommendation - the Las Caletas Hideaway shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta was fantastic. One of the best excursions we've taken. The beach is fantastic and the ride on the catamaran was awesome. The free margaritas at the beach were cool too. ;)

Dave-

If I may make a recommendation - the Las Caletas Hideaway shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta was fantastic. One of the best excursions we've taken. The beach is fantastic and the ride on the catamaran was awesome. The free margaritas at the beach were cool too. ;)

If I mention free margaritas to DW, we'll book that one line a shot!:rolleyes:

Sounds like fun!

Is it OK to drink the Margaritas? :rolleyes:

We did - no problems. It's a pretty nice little get away. I didn't do the snorkeling or kayaking, but the beach is great and the facilities are really nice. The tour operators were fantastic.

Dave-

Did you book this through the Cruiseline? What was the price? Will be doing this Cruise the last of October. Love to snorkel, Kayak, enjoy good beaches, and last but not least, the margaritas! :D

Did you book this through the Cruiseline? What was the price? Will be doing this Cruise the last of October. Love to snorkel, Kayak, enjoy good beaches, and last but not least, the margaritas! :D

Renorita-

It is a HAL excursion. It's a bit expensive, but worth it. In addition to lunch at Las Caletas, it includes drinks on the ride over and back. There were crafts for the young ones in a separate play area, really nice. My daughter made some little clay turtles decorated with colorful beads, she still has them displayed in her room.

We did this a couple of years ago, so hopefully it is the same tour operator. They also gave my daughter a really cute t-shirt with their logo and picture of a group of whales on it.

Wow, I really love these boards! You all have given me some good ideas. I'd love to cruise every week, but I have two things that hinder me from doing that (1) work (2) it takes money :-)

We've gone to the E. & W. Caribbean's so much I could probably steer the ship! We also did Alaska from Seattle on the Princess Diamond last year (my DH and I were on the ship when she was brand new and hit the seawall in Victoria...that was interesting). So this will be a new port to sail out of for me. Really looking forward to it.

Hasn't been to Nome yet I take it? ;)

I had the same "thing" until Nome. In September. :rolleyes:

Thought about it, though. :D

Nope, we didn't fly up to Nome - but she did wade in the Talkeetna River while watching the sun set behind Denali...

(it was July!)

-dave

Archived