P&O Check in Thomas Cook Gatwick

Scottie Girl

We have always found that seats (economy) are allocated at check in. Other say differently, but we have always managed to get our seats at check in.

We usually arrive about 4 hours before check in and even then we have found people in a queue.

I don't know if it applies to Thomas Cook but as far as Thomson are concerned on our recent Oceana cruise, my husband and a friend went to the Thomson check-in desk at Gatwick on the evening before we were due to fly. We were staying at an airport hotel that night. The check-in staff at the Thomson desk were able to give them their seat numbers as they were told all seats had been pre-allocated by P&O according to the date the cruise was booked. So our friend who had booked over 20 months before was allocated 1A and B. We had booked 18 months ahead and were in 3A and B - we had all booked premium seats.

I would think that if it's done this way with Thomson then it's probably the same with Thomas Cook.

I don't know if it applies to Thomas Cook but as far as Thomson are concerned on our recent Oceana cruise, my husband and a friend went to the Thomson check-in desk at Gatwick on the evening before we were due to fly. We were staying at an airport hotel that night. The check-in staff at the Thomson desk were able to give them their seat numbers as they were told all seats had been pre-allocated by P&O according to the date the cruise was booked. So our friend who had booked over 20 months before was allocated 1A and B. We had booked 18 months ahead and were in 3A and B - we had all booked premium seats.

I would think that if it's done this way with Thomson then it's probably the same with Thomas Cook.

The only thing that makes me suspect they won't do it this way is this method makes perfect sense!!

we have just returned today from our cruise on ventura, and we were on thomsons flight. we were also told that p&o allocate seating, as although we were first in the queue, we were unable to all sit together, and my sons fiancee had her seat allocated with another couple. we were in premium seats.

whilst on board, i spoke to future cruises desk, and asked if my husband and i booked a future cruise, could we be guaranteed seats together, as i have only recently braved flying after a lifetime of fear, and the thought of being sat on my own would prevent me from boarding a flight.

they made enquires to flight dept, and came back saying nobody could ever be guaranteed seats together, even if cruise is booked 18th months in advance. It has put me off booking another carribbean cruise with

P&o.

Recently returned from cruise to Panama on Oceana. We flew Thomas Cook from Manchester. Got there about 3 hours before flight. A small queue, booked in and asked for an aisle seat as I get a bit claustrophobic! No problem, so P&O couldnt pre allocate seats and you cant prebook seats until you get to the book in desk. We then kept those same seats for the journey back, so we were all happy! We also had a good flight, though we were talking to people on the ship who had flown with Thompsons and their experience wasnt so good. A number had developed some sort of air sickness, Whether it was some problem with cabin pressure or a coincidence I dont know.

We flew Economy and on our way out of the plane we passed through Premium and I really couldnt see an awful lot of difference! Oh yes, they had more films to watch on the way! I dont think I would have liked to have paid extra for that! We really thought we had ample room in Economy, we are neither of us very tall though so that may make a difference granted.

On a Thomsons fly cruise to the Canaries I arrived early at the Gatwick check-in and they offered me a choice of window or isle seat. This was probably because it was just me and they could fill up those awkward spaces!. For a cruise this summer I paid a £12 supplement and apparently about 2 months before the cruise I get to choose exactly which two seats I want.

I think the seat allocation method is down to the cruisline. Thomsons must provide a list of pre booked seats to the airline which then fills the plane as passengers check in. In contrast P&O allocate the seats themselves from the block they have allocated on the plane.

Recently returned from cruise to Panama on Oceana. We flew Thomas Cook from Manchester. Got there about 3 hours before flight. A small queue, booked in and asked for an aisle seat as I get a bit claustrophobic! No problem, so P&O couldnt pre allocate seats and you cant prebook seats until you get to the book in desk. We then kept those same seats for the journey back, so we were all happy! We also had a good flight, though we were talking to people on the ship who had flown with Thompsons and their experience wasnt so good. A number had developed some sort of air sickness, Whether it was some problem with cabin pressure or a coincidence I dont know.

We flew Economy and on our way out of the plane we passed through Premium and I really couldnt see an awful lot of difference! Oh yes, they had more films to watch on the way! I dont think I would have liked to have paid extra for that! We really thought we had ample room in Economy, we are neither of us very tall though so that may make a difference granted.

i agree, probably not worth paying the extra, but my husband always insists as he is over 6 feet tall, whereas i am much shorter.

we were with party of 8, 4 upgraded and 4 didn't. the little difference was the food, we had different and more of food and drink offered, (much of which i refused) and the films, which could be upgraded in ecomony for £5. i wouldn't personally upgrade, but can understand the extra leg room must be of benefit to the taller guy, and also slightly wider seats.

the only time before when we did carribbean, it was on Oceana and we flew with thomas cook. (premium) Had no problem there, and were able to have seats more or less as we asked for, ... or was that what we had been allocated anyway,??? we'll never know, but i much prefer thomas cook.

i also think being in premium, there are only about 35 seats, so you must stand a much better chance of being seated together in ecomony, as the confirguration of the seats was 2-4-2. against 2.3.2 in premium.

Probably muttering, "Glad I didnt pay extra just for that!"

Our Thomas Cook flight was 3-3-3 config and the whole plane was chartered for the cruise so we were allocated seats at check in. First come first served I suppose. We had no trouble getting our 2 seats together or being allocated an aisle seat and we only turned up 3 hours before as it advises in the flight info. The Thomas Cook flights didnt have to stop and refuel either, which the Thompsons ones had to.

Does anyone know which airlines Princess use, flying to New York in September to join Crown Princess. Hope the journey is as painless as it was with P&O in January.

My wife flys home to Shropshire (Manchester airport) every year on Thomas Cook (Owned by Air Transat) When she books the flight, they charge $20.00 each way for seat selection. She always gets her desired seat.

However, when flying for a cruise, it would appear as though that does not come into play.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

People always say ''I'm glad I didn't pay extra for that" I always think they say that because they are jealous, too tight, or tried to get seats & couldn't. I am always glad I paid the extra, especially on land based holidays, last time we went to Barbados I bet we were in the pool while the rest were still queueing, same coming back, we were in the lounge having a nice beer when the others were standing in the heat for ages.

JTD, unfortunately P & O premium seats on Thompson do not work like that. Premium get priority boarding on the way out to the Caribbean. they do not march all passengers through the premium area as the steps which all use are behind the premium area. Disembarking the plane at Barbados depends on the crew. We have been in premium when we were given priority to disembark but have also been in Economy when it was a free for all with premium and economy merging to get off. Even once off it is still a lottery how soon you get to the port as each driver has his own route to get to the port. We have done it in less than 35 minutes up to 1 hour. Sue

JTD, unfortunately P & O premium seats on Thompson do not work like that. Premium get priority boarding on the way out to the Caribbean. they do not march all passengers through the premium area as the steps which all use are behind the premium area. Disembarking the plane at Barbados depends on the crew. We have been in premium when we were given priority to disembark but have also been in Economy when it was a free for all with premium and economy merging to get off. Even once off it is still a lottery how soon you get to the port as each driver has his own route to get to the port. We have done it in less than 35 minutes up to 1 hour. Sue

That's why I said "on land based holidays.. last time in BDS" to illustrate that the seats are worth it to me, & how one can benefit, as there are more benefits than just the seat, this example doesn't work for cruises as we all have to wait for the transport.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I flew from Manchester to Barbados Thomson Premium - booked 11 months before and did not get seats together - I wondered if I should be sharing champagne (it was hubbys special birthday) with the people next to me!!Were advised the seats pre allocated depending on when holiday booked - doesn't matter how early you turn up at airport to check in. We were advised to complain on ship by the P&O chap at the airport; we were told we would have the same seats on return flt - funny as we had seats allocated together on return the people who had sat together going out had our seats on return - I had come to the conclusion as they checked in before us and made such a song & dance they were given our seats!! The flight mgr records showed there were several coupes who had booked their holiday after us, even the couple I sat next to booked their holiday after us!! I complained to to P&O were given a standard fob off reply with repeated copy & paste paragraphs and even explanations regarding things I never complained about (someone else obviously had though!). Take my advice save your money go economy you get exactly the same except for 2 inches leg room in front (not wider seating) and a few extra movies. I will never book another P&O cruise again whilst they use Thomson flights. I will not waste my time and energy furthering my complaint - thier loss - will continue to cruise with Cunard in the future. Anyway looks like they make up the rules as and when!!

Well this thread has been an eye-opener!! First P&O cruise coming up in July, reading this I can only say "Thank goodness from Southampton".

All previous cruises with Celebrity, Princess , RCI etc. All flights always scheduled airlines, so check-in and seat selection down to us not down to the vagaries of the P&O booking system. On our upcoming Celebrity TA cruise this month we are flying BA and we could either check-in on-line 24 hours before boarding or pay £20pp (long haul) to pre-book our seats at any time.

I would be really upset having spent a lot of money and enduring a long flight, to be seated with strangers. Really glad to read all this info, we will continue to fly-cruise with other lines and if we enjoy our P&O cruise, it will be Southampton departures only for us:)

Sue

Archived