Captains Table at Dinner

Sailfish

My experience is that it has been very hit and miss...

One one voyage you may see the Captain at his table two or three nights... on others not at all...

:)

If you're referring to the Captain's Reception it has changed. Rather than being held in one of the lounges it involves the entire Promenade Deck. The officers wander about greeting the passengers, along with the Captain.

There aren't free drinks any more but drinks are discounted one dollar per drink at all of the bars for a period of three hours.

The free cocktail party has been replaced by a 'Fun Farewell' party on the last day of the voyage.

My experience is that it has been very hit and miss...

One one voyage you may see the Captain at his table two or three nights... on others not at all...

If you're referring to the Captain's Reception it has changed. Rather than being held in one of the lounges it involves the entire Promenade Deck. The officers wander about greeting the passengers, along with the Captain.

There aren't free drinks any more but drinks are discounted one dollar per drink at all of the bars for a period of three hours.

The free cocktail party has been replaced by a 'Fun Farewell' party on the last day of the voyage.

Thanks - I was asking about the "dinner" - it's usually at a round table with a flower arrangement in the middle. I wasn't sure if this long standing tradition was still occurring on Carnival ships.

We've usually seen the captain and senior officers at the captain's table in the dining room for late seating on the first formal night on Carnival but that is the only time. That table is usually empty the rest of the time but there have been times if a group of 12 needs a table that one is used.

Years ago on my second cruise on Dolphin Lines (now gone) our waiter was asking us a bunch of questions...what do we like to eat, where do we live, etc. We finally said why all the questions and he told us the Captain was selecting guests for his formal Cpatain's night dinner. We were to gals in our 30's and not that fancy of dressers. Frankly it made me very nervous...we did not get a formal invite and were a bit relieved Still exciting though. Dolphin had smaller ships, but boy were they fun and the staff was incredible, but alas they are gone...use to go to S. America for only a few more bucks that Carnival did the Bahammas. Lydia of Ohio

So no formal night anymore? No reason for nice attire and pictures?

It's "elegant" night now. The dress code is more relaxed, but you'll still see a fair number of folks getting dressed up (DH wears a tux and I wear a cocktail dress) and the photos are still available. The main change is the elimination of the free cocktail reception before dinner, as Mach mentioned.

Well, never been on a carnival cruise....yet :)

But...our first RCCL cruise last year me and DH were invited to sit at the captains table for dinner on formal night. Fun experience because all the waiters doted on the entire table and there was free wine throughout the dinner and there were name cards set at the table so we knew which place setting was ours. At the end of the evening we all got a free picture of the group in a frame with the menu of the night. We felt special :D don't think we will get as lucky on our upcoming cruise!

I recently was on the GLory and did the Behind the Fun tour. I asked the guide if the Captain still dines with the guests. She said that it doesn't happen very often and it is usually a special occasion and they also will have the CD dining at the table with them.

The Officers dining room on the ship is a moderate sized room with room for all senior officers to dine together. The Captain gets the remote control. Their dining room is at the waterline on 0 deck and has portholes.

John Heald has reported on some of the dinners with the captain and guests he has had. They do not do it often. Sometimes I think they prefer not to and would rather be in the company of their fellow Italians or Croatians!!! (All cptains are Italian and officers are Italian and Croatian).

In March of 2006 I had dinner with Captain Massimo Marino on the Conquest. It was me, my aunt, sister and her husband and the rest of the table was the officers of the ship~~ my sister had an in with a lady that worked for Carnival and she hooked us up~! Somewhere I have the picture that was taken~ I'll have to look for it! It was surreal~ we got a red rose from the Captain, free drinks with dinner~ it was amazing to say the least~ the crew was SO fun~!!

I asked for it once and was told it was always with travel agents and special guests.

Have seen it on other cruise lines and always figured when Carnival did it they would do so at the capt's personal dining room.

One can hope they would pick us some day.

Archived