Voyages to Antiquity Pompeii etc. May31

Ontariotrekker

I don't believe "deficiencies" are the same as "violations".

We are booked on the November 13 cruise to Egypt and Jordan and have been following the Aegean Odyssey's progress from refurbishment through the early trips up to the present. WOW! So many divergent views. Like most of you, we are focussing on the excursions (Cairo, Luxor, Petra etc. in our case) and hope that this will make up for any cruising shortcomings, but glad to hear that the line has been/is addressing the more serious problems. Anyone else booked on the Egypt/Jordan cruide?

I don't believe "deficiencies" are the same as "violations".

We are booked on the November 13 cruise to Egypt and Jordan and have been following the Aegean Odyssey's progress from refurbishment through the early trips up to the present. WOW! So many divergent views. Like most of you, we are focussing on the excursions (Cairo, Luxor, Petra etc. in our case) and hope that this will make up for any cruising shortcomings, but glad to hear that the line has been/is addressing the more serious problems. Anyone else booked on the Egypt/Jordan cruide?

Husband and I are booked. Really looking forward to it. Figure most of the kinks will be worked out by Nov. Another plus is that about half the trip is land-based. Never figured this to be a Silversea style cruise.

You are correct -- "deficiencies" is the word used, rather than "violations" -- however, I'm still more than a little concerned about some of the categories where the deficiencies were found:

• fire safety
  • food preparation
  • emergency prep (lifeboats, and personal safety devices [lifejackets?])
  • navigation equipment

I also do not expect a Silverseas type of experience. However, I do expect that they will have basic safety (and food safety) issues sussed.

This refers at all times to deficiences not violations These are very serious and the ship is supposed to fix them before they leave port.

The question is were they?

Also a ship of this age, which is classified by the Paris MOU as high risk ship, has to have a mandatory expanded inspection in the EU every 12 months.

According to Encarta -

deficient n. 1. lacking a particular quality...especially one that is expected or necessary 2. inadequate or not good enough

If my car were to fail its MoT then it can not be driven away until the defects are fixed. I find it difficult to believe that with 27 'deficiencies' Aegean Odyssey was allowed to carry on its way without being forced to rectify them there and then. But a bigger question is why was it not inspected before its inaugural sailing?

I admire the optimism of those sailing on her later this summer, and I hope you all have enjoyable holidays. Just don't go on board with any aspirations that the experience will safe, restful, clean, epicurean or characterised by a high level of attentive service from a professional, experienced crew.

I admire the optimism of those sailing on her later this summer, and I hope you all have enjoyable holidays. Just don't go on board with any aspirations that the experience will safe, restful, clean, epicurean or characterised by a high level of attentive service from a professional, experienced crew.

One could approach this the same way using a local bus in a third world country is an adventure in itself, when the main goal is simply to get from point to point. That would be expectation enough when the itinerary looks as good as the one from Cairo to Athens looks and also has quite a bit of the time on land as well as the Suez Canal.

Too bad they tried to position this as a "luxury" cruise experience instead of merely an adventure experience using a boat to get from point to point -- albeit safely for sure. But even on third world busses, safety is rarely expected.

One could approach this the same way using a local bus in a third world country is an adventure in itself, when the main goal is simply to get from point to point. That would be expectation enough when the itinerary looks as good as the one from Cairo to Athens looks and also has quite a bit of the time on land as well as the Suez Canal.

Too bad they tried to position this as a "luxury" cruise experience instead of merely an adventure experience using a boat to get from point to point -- albeit safely for sure. But even on third world busses, safety is rarely expected.

As always, you make a good point. The cost of this cruise, for me, is less than a comparable one on ms Discovery (one of the only other ships that does any kind of similar itinerary), and cheaper than a land tour to even a few of these destinations would be.

I'm not sure if luxury is what I expect. However, I do expect safety. While adventurous, I don't particularly want to end up in a (questionably seaworthy) lifeboat in Mediterranean seas in late November. :o

As always, you make a good point. The cost of this cruise, for me, is less than a comparable one on ms Discovery (one of the only other ships that does any kind of similar itinerary), and cheaper than a land tour to even a few of these destinations would be.

I'm not sure if luxury is what I expect. However, I do expect safety. While adventurous, I don't particularly want to end up in a (questionably seaworthy) lifeboat in Mediterranean seas in late November. :o

Mark the 90 day deadline on your calendar to get your deposit back, and keep your fingers crossed you start getting some good news. The company does need to publicly address these alleged safety issues when there is data to support this concern.

But the other matters - food, onboard discomforts etc I would also be willing to ignore particularly since one has already lowered any special expectations. There were good reports from other passengers, that were not tourism marketing fluff. But I agree, it pays to keep your ears open. I want it to work out for you, in your best interests on all counts.

Here is a thread on another travel forum for you to track (if you are not already on it): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1085672-voyages-antiquity-any-passengers-yet.html

Here is another thread on a savvy travel forum to track:

Mark the 90 day deadline on your calendar to get your deposit back, and keep your fingers crossed you start getting some good news. The company does need to publicly address these alleged safety issues when there is data to support this concern.

But the other matters - food, onboard discomforts etc I would also be willing to ignore particularly since one has already lowered any special expectations. There were good reports from other passengers, that were not tourism marketing fluff. But I agree, it pays to keep your ears open. I want it to work out for you, in your best interests on all counts.

Here is a thread on another travel forum for you to track (if you are not already on it): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cruises/1085672-voyages-antiquity-any-passengers-yet.html

Here is another thread on a savvy travel forum to track:

Thanks for that. Seems like many of the same posters as here. ;)

I have been making enquiries on behalf of some friends who wanted to accompany me and it seems like most of the late fall cruises are close to sold out, so I'm having a little trouble buying into predictions re: the imminent demise of the line or the failure to complete their schedule. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. Seems like many of the same posters as here. ;)

I have been making enquiries on behalf of some friends who wanted to accompany me and it seems like most of the late fall cruises are close to sold out, so I'm having a little trouble buying into predictions re: the imminent demise of the line or the failure to complete their schedule. :rolleyes:

I agree and am trying hard to keep up my enthusiasm for my Aug. 9th trip - wish we would hear from current cruisers regarding promised improvements to the ship. I guess I can optimistically take the attitude that at least I won't be disappointed because I expected too much!! Ready to order my Euros and Kunas and hesitating, although I also feel confident they will complete their season, with a lot of happy cruisers, if not with the ship, then for the itineraries!

My Venice Pocket map just came in the mail - I'm okay now - nothing can dampen my enthusiasm for spending a day and overnight there!

Glad to hear that you are still eager to go. Remember it's all about the sites and sights:)

A heads up re Venice.. you'll need to go through a rather small and irritating customs check each time you go back on board.. the night of the visit to St. Marks's try to be on the first ferry and one of the first back. There was one heck of a line-up to get back onboard... not helped by a couple of people who managed to get off without their cruise card which is what the customs guys wanted to see!

Enjoy!!!!

Glad to hear that you are still eager to go. Remember it's all about the sites and sights:)

A heads up re Venice.. you'll need to go through a rather small and irritating customs check each time you go back on board.. the night of the visit to St. Marks's try to be on the first ferry and one of the first back. There was one heck of a line-up to get back onboard... not helped by a couple of people who managed to get off without their cruise card which is what the customs guys wanted to see!

Enjoy!!!!

I don't know if I'm breaking into a private conversation between you two, but the last thing I would do (and did) is to catch the V2A transport back from St Marks. My advice to ANYONE going to Venice (other than just go straight to their cruise ship; what a waste!) is to get a vaporetto pass (24/36/48h) But from St Marks Square it's a very easy walk back to the terminal, with plenty of interesting stuff on the way. (On our cruise they served dinner late that night so there's no rush; better still eat in Venice!). Follow the signs for the Accademmia bridge, stop for a Campari soda on the way, take in the view from the Accademmia of the Santa Maria della Salute (the best view in Venice in my opinion) then hit the Guidecca Canal, and turn R towards the terminal. Perhaps a last espresso before you go on board (save yourself US$3.50 and get some proper coffee!)

I don't know if I'm breaking into a private conversation between you two, but the last thing I would do (and did) is to catch the V2A transport back from St Marks. My advice to ANYONE going to Venice (other than just go straight to their cruise ship; what a waste!) is to get a vaporetto pass (24/36/48h) But from St Marks Square it's a very easy walk back to the terminal, with plenty of interesting stuff on the way. (On our cruise they served dinner late that night so there's no rush; better still eat in Venice!). Follow the signs for the Accademmia bridge, stop for a Campari soda on the way, take in the view from the Accademmia of the Santa Maria della Salute (the best view in Venice in my opinion) then hit the Guidecca Canal, and turn R towards the terminal. Perhaps a last espresso before you go on board (save yourself US$3.50 and get some proper coffee!)

Thanks for the directions, I wondered how close we were docked. I'd like to take a vaporetto to the Lido in the morning in lieu of the included tour, having been on two in the past, covering the same sights. I've thought about a pass, but if I only do the trip to and from, and then can walk to the ship, or even take it to S. Basilio (I believe we dock there and not at the main marina - correct?) it's not worth the cost. S. Basilio seems to be a vaporetto stop but I haven't been able to confirm I can catch one to the Lido, and thought maybe I'd take it from St. Marks. Any thoughts?

No problem. But before you write off the pass, on the web it's only 17.25 for a 36-hour pass, which is very convenient, rather than buying a ticket for each trip. And Yes, they do stop you and check you're covered; we were! Of course with a pass, you can go everywhere: we did Murano, Burano and Torcello, which are well worth it if you can spare the time.

But re the Lido: from San Basilio (which is right next to where we were docked) you can take the 61/62 (route number changes with direction) to the Lido, or the 2 to San Zaccaria (for St Mark's Square). From San Zaccaria it's the 51/52 to the Lido. Photo is of San Zaccaria very early morning.

Most definitely. Better Venice than Rome any day. Can't you push your homeward flight back a day and have 1 night in Venice?

We stayed at Pensione La Calcina, which is lovely, next to Zattere vaporetto stop, just down from the San Basilio terminal.

If you click on "The Mediterranean" on the Voyages to Antiquity home page, you will see an interesting introduction written by John Julius Norwich, author of The Middle Sea. He is scheduled to be a lecturer on one of the Sept. cruises. There is also a reading guide for each itinerary, with a discount for passengers if you prefer to own the books. These may not be new additions, but I just came across them.

Documents are being mailed today Priority Mail. Customs form will be included that must be returned to the V To A office, and we can also choose our excursions at this time. The woman I spoke to in the Florida office said to expect the package no later than Wednesday. Mixed emotions as you can imagine based on the ship reports, but oh, the things we will see!

Documents are being mailed today Priority Mail. Customs form will be included that must be returned to the V To A office, and we can also choose our excursions at this time. The woman I spoke to in the Florida office said to expect the package no later than Wednesday. Mixed emotions as you can imagine based on the ship reports, but oh, the things we will see!

Yours is going to be one of the most anticipated post-cruise reports ever. Hope you have a wonderful time and bring back all the details. Ooooooh, the things you will see .... and share.

Bon Voyage and tuck in a little statue of Ganesha (the Hindu elephant headed god) who protects travelers from unexpected calamities. :cool:

(Got one from my travel agent when I arrived in India - didn't protect from unexpected calamities in India --what could? -- but they sure got me through all of them just fine -- so he must work)

Archived