Corpus Christi future Port?????

cruisin53

Well, had some friends just get off from Ecstasy today. They went to the DisEmbarkation talk yesterday. At the end of the talk, it was brought up that Carnival is looking at Corpus Christi area as another port for Texas. It was said that they(Carnival) would eventually like to put 5 ships going out of Texas. Did anyone else just come off the same sailing and hear this at the meeting yesterday? If so, please respond!!!!:)

Well, had some friends just get off from Ecstasy today. They went to the DisEmbarkation talk yesterday. At the end of the talk, it was brought up that Carnival is looking at Corpus Christi area as another port for Texas. It was said that they(Carnival) would eventually like to put 5 ships going out of Texas. Did anyone else just come off the same sailing and hear this at the meeting yesterday? If so, please respond!!!!:)

There has been talk about Corpus for a long time. Sadly, it would be a ways off... The bridge that the ships would have to pass under is a bit... ummmm... low at 140 feet from the water at low tide. The replacement cost of the bridge has been estimate at $875,000,000.

There are plans to replace the bridge somewhere around 2015...

The channel would have to be dredged an additional 10 feet for the entire distance from the Gulf to the port.

There are a few alternatives... Port Aransas being one.

:)

I had also heard some time back, that the old naval station at Ingleside was being looked at also as a possible cruise ship port. Oh well, its a wait and see thing. But, it sure would be nice to have another option as well.

I would like to see a ship leave from around this area...being at Lake Corpus Christi puts me only 45 minutes from CC, or Ingleside and I too have heard a while back that Ingleside had been looked at by cruise companies, but not sure which ones and where all that went....but we can all hope:D

...and they could/should sail one or two more ships from Galveston, perhaps to other ports of call than Coz and Progresso.

I agree, and I also read somewhere that Houston had a nice port, I think it was used for a while after Ike.

I agree, and I also read somewhere that Houston had a nice port, I think it was used for a while after Ike.

Bayport... I sailed from there on the Conquest.

Nice enough facility but WAY undersized. The facility was originally intended to have four terminals. I guess money and enthusiasm both ran out as they only constructed one.

Ingleside Naval Facility is supposed to be completely empty (closing down) by the end of the year. That should make it a bargain for cruise ships coming in. The local economy would enjoy the boost, and we Texans would love another cruise-port...:D

Ingleside would be a great location but it's another long term project.

I've been involved in base closures in which the facility has been turned over to the municipality. It ain't pretty.

The military gets to use TONS of chemicals and compounds that are currently termed hazardous to the environment and remediation would have to take place before any development could happen.

At the very least, the contaminated sites would have to be identified and the potential new occupants given immunity for any injury or damage that might occur due to the contaminants.

Building the new bridge might be quicker...

;)

Personally I think that sucks - you guys have draconian alcohol policies on what you can bring back with you. Give me Florida any day!

I know there's a massive population within a few hours' drive of Texas ports, but isn't there a basic physical restriction on the number of ports of call that can be reached on 4, 5, and 7 day cruises from Texas?

That's true and I'm sure that is drivng the discussions about 8 and 9 day cruises...

The restrictions are on Texas residents only... citizens of other states abide by their laws...

Weird - when we crossed at a land border from Mexico > Texas they told us there was a restriction for us as well imposed by the state - maybe I was just mis-informed.

Archived