Possible change of itinerary

ocean42

We are expecting a change of intinerary from Monte Carlo to Cannes on our cruise in May.

What would you expect Princess to do to compensate?

We booked this cruise for Monte Carlo and Gibraltar and now we are probably not going to our favourite port.

For those that think I am trying to make a point I did post on the roll call in November and stated we wanted escpecially to go to Monte Carlo.

Not looking for £1000'1 but also dont want to go on a bus for over an hour to Monte Carlo from Cannes, thats why we cruise so we dont have to go on buses. Never take oragnised trips for that reason.

What has Princess done in the past?

Ocean42

Don't expect anything in the way of compensation. They let you know about this change in itinerary four months in advance. If you read the fine print of your cruise contract it does say that the itinerary can be changed at any moment (even up to the day you are supposed to be in a port) and that is solely at the discretion of the cruise line and Captain. We have had our itinerary changed on many occasions and never expected anything in the way of compensation. Enjoy the fact that you'll be on a cruise in one of the most beautiful spots in the world.

Sorry, you'll not get any compensation. In all that fine print that most folks choose not to read, it'll tell you that the cruise line has the right to change itinerary any time it wants to, with no recourse. If you want to spend time in Monte Carlo, then book a land vacation for Monte Carlo.

Because the change was made so far in advance... could it be possible that Princess was notified that something will be going on at that port and that the ship would not be able to dock on that date.. ie: repairs etc? I don't think they would just decide..."ah, let's change this and not go there." so far in advance without a valid reason, right?

We are expecting a change of intinerary from Monte Carlo to Cannes on our cruise in May.

We booked this cruise for Monte Carlo and Gibraltar and now we are probably not going to our favourite port.

For those that think I am trying to make a point I did post on the roll call in November and stated we wanted escpecially to go to Monte Carlo.

Not looking for £1000'1 but also dont want to go on a bus for over an hour to Monte Carlo from Cannes, thats why we cruise so we dont have to go on buses. Never take oragnised trips for that reason.

Ocean42

which cruise is this?(Ship and date)

I doubt you will receive any compensation from Princess for this change. As already stated, read your cruise contract (everyone really should as it totally explains about changes in port schedules). Just be glad they notified you while you could still cancel and not have to pay a penalty. Some changes don't show until you board the ship, or right before you are due to visit a port. And even in those last two circumstances, rarely is compensation given.

Have already paid in full so cancelling isnt an option.

I know the small print will say they can make changes without reading it. But lets face the Grand Prix dates are set for the next 4 years or so so it's not rocket science for Princess to get it right is it.

The ships is MV Grand Princess leaves Southampton 08/05.

Ocean42

Sorry to hear you are disappointed, but you asked, and we have shared the truth with you. Princess rarely will offer any type of compensation for a missed port unless it is mechanically related to a problem with the ship. And this far before you sail, I wouldn't look for any at all.

One thing we have learned over the years is to accept the entire itineray and never look forward to only one or two ports that are listed on it. You just never know when, or for what reason, the main ports you were interested will be cancelled or changed.

Again, sorry you are disappointed and that you can't cancel. I hope you enjoy your cruise and the ports it will be visiting though. :) FYI-Not sure if it is different in the UK, but even though we make final payment early, we can still cancel and receive a full refund before the date it is actually due. Not sure if it is the same for you or not?

Ocean42, I understand that you're disappointed about the itinerary change, but Princess had no choice in this case.

The dates for the Monaco Grand Prix were changed from May 20-23 to May 13-16 at the FIA's request in October.

We will be tendering at Cannes from the Brilliance of the Seas on May 16. I was hoping to visit Monaco also, which isn't possible during the Grand Prix. We elected to go to Nice and Antibes instead.

Ocean42

Before you start asking for compensation, you might want to read what the contract says about Princess' right to change the itinerary.

"Getting it right" is in the eyes of the beholder. For whatever reason, the cruise line has decided that "getting it right" is to NOT go to Monte Carlo for this cruise. And it is their "right" to make such a decision. Again, you don't like it, you can cancel and try booking another cruise, or use the money to have a land vacation in Monte Carlo.

Sad, but true; they can change whatever ports they wish. The only price change you might see is if the port taxes are different for each port. Sadly, they might go up instead of down. I don't know what the taxes are for either of these ports.

Ocean42

Cannes is a nice port, its right next to Nice and very close to Monaco, and it is much less hilly than Monaco too. There is actually a water taxi service that you can take from pier to pier (Cannes to Monaco) among a ton of options including train and bus service.

Personally I think they are doing you a favor, Monaco is nice for a minute but places like St Paul du Vence and Eze are way nicer and easier to access from Cannes!

...Again, sorry you are disappointed and that you can't cancel. I hope you enjoy your cruise and the ports it will be visiting though. :) FYI-Not sure if it is different in the UK, but even though we make final payment early, we can still cancel and receive a full refund before the date it is actually due. Not sure if it is the same for you or not?

It is different if the OP has booked through a UK TA; they will not receive any form of refund even at deposit stage if they subsequently cancel :(

Cannes is a nice port, its right next to Nice and very close to Monaco, and it is much less hilly than Monaco too. There is actually a water taxi service that you can take from pier to pier (Cannes to Monaco) among a ton of options including train and bus service.

Personally I think they are doing you a favor, Monaco is nice for a minute but places like St Paul du Vence and Eze are way nicer and easier to access from Cannes!

I agree! Kind of! I have been to Monte Carlo, though not Cannes. My DH was really looking forward to MC, and we did enjoy it but it wasn't the most exciting place in the world. OP - make the most of where you are going rather than regret where you are not - there will always be opportunities to visit MC in the future, I am sure! It is not that far away from the UK ;)

"Getting it right" is in the eyes of the beholder. For whatever reason, the cruise line has decided that "getting it right" is to NOT go to Monte Carlo for this cruise. And it is their "right" to make such a decision. Again, you don't like it, you can cancel and try booking another cruise, or use the money to have a land vacation in Monte Carlo.
As the others have said, the only monetary change/difference will be in the port charges. To add to "uppitycats," there are several possible reasons for Princess to change the port. Port changes, cancellations, etc. happen all the time and usually, it's due to passenger port experience. If the Grand Prix is at the same time as the ship was scheduled to be in Monte Carlo, passengers would be greatly inconvenienced by crowds, traffic, etc. Also, this is a tender port so transferring passengers from the ship to shore could be severely compromised with the Grand Prix going on at the same time, not to mention the potential for passengers to miss the ship if they get held up in traffic or other obstacles.

I'm sorry you're disappointed but Princess takes passenger safety and convenience into account when determining itinerary changes.

Just been thinking and it is practice day for the Grand Prix, hardly something just arranged is it. Cant beleive Princess have only just noticed. Very poor show.

Ocean 42

........The dates for the Monaco Grand Prix were changed from May 20-23 to May 13-16 at the FIA's request in October........

That is probably why they changed the ports. I cannot imagine Monaco wanting all those folks dumped at the docks and probably no way to get them off the dock.

Plus ... probably most of the folks on your ship would appreciate the change to a less hectic port.

St. Paul de Vence and Eze are so much more beautiful than Monaco... Monaco is ok, but I'd jump on the chance to go to St. Paul de Vence in a heartbeat! Besides, Cannes has some very beautiful beaches and is a wonderful town... Out with the old, in with the new! Enjoy your cruise!

St. Paul de Vence and Eze are so much more beautiful than Monaco... Monaco is ok, but I'd jump on the chance to go to St. Paul de Vence in a heartbeat! Besides, Cannes has some very beautiful beaches and is a wonderful town... Out with the old, in with the new! Enjoy your cruise!
I agree. We took a tour with Revelation Tours that included not only St. Paul de Vence and Eze, but Nice, the Cote d'Azur and Monaco as well. One of the best tours I've ever had.

While I understand the disappointment of the OP, I guess the thing that disturbs me is the sense of entitlement to some sort of compensation. We were on a cruise several years ago that had an itinerary change and we were notified upon boarding. No biggie. But you would have thought the world had ended for some passengers who did nothing but complain and demand compensation because that was the ONLY reason they booked the cruise. As a previous poster said, look at the total cruise experience and then at your attitude about it. If something as minor as a port change can sour your attitude, a cruise is probably not the best vacation for you. No one "owes" you anything in life.

Archived