Possible change of itinerary

ocean42

While I understand the disappointment of the OP, I guess the thing that disturbs me is the sense of entitlement to some sort of compensation. We were on a cruise several years ago that had an itinerary change and we were notified upon boarding. No biggie. But you would have thought the world had ended for some passengers who did nothing but complain and demand compensation because that was the ONLY reason they booked the cruise. As a previous poster said, look at the total cruise experience and then at your attitude about it. If something as minor as a port change can sour your attitude, a cruise is probably not the best vacation for you. No one "owes" you anything in life.

We experienced this last spring on the Ruby TA. We missed Monaco due to high seas, and some passengers carried on as if the world was coming to an end. It was our last day, and they proceeded to ruin the last 15 days of a wonderful trip by getting so irrationally upset over the weather--something that couldn't be controlled. I felt so sorry for the young pursers' asst., a tiny young woman, who they kept swearing at and demanding that she order the capt. to turn the ship around and go to Marseilles instead. I was also upset that no one from security came to her rescue.

We experienced this last spring on the Ruby TA. We missed Monaco due to high seas, and some passengers carried on as if the world was coming to an end. It was our last day, and they proceeded to ruin the last 15 days of a wonderful trip by getting so irrationally upset over the weather--something that couldn't be controlled. I felt so sorry for the young pursers' asst., a tiny young woman, who they kept swearing at and demanding that she order the capt. to turn the ship around and go to Marseilles instead. I was also upset that no one from security came to her rescue.

I remember that day, I was also on the ship! I couldn't believe some people behaved so poorly, I understand the disappointment of missing a port in Europe but to get so mad is self destructive. Like you say, it ruins the whole cruise.

We were thrilled to miss the port, being so exhausted from the port intensive cruise, we needed that break!

Amelia

Have already paid in full so cancelling isnt an option.

I know the small print will say they can make changes without reading it. But lets face the Grand Prix dates are set for the next 4 years or so so it's not rocket science for Princess to get it right is it.

The ships is MV Grand Princess leaves Southampton 08/05.

Ocean42

Unfortunately OP the same may be said for your planning :confused:. I don't want you to think I'm jumping on you but, If I'm planning a trip like this I do my research to see if anything will possibly force a change. I've found that any time a major event is scheduled there will be disruptions of some kind. I hope that you will still enjoy your cruise and have a great time.

I remember that day, I was also on the ship! I couldn't believe some people behaved so poorly, I understand the disappointment of missing a port in Europe but to get so mad is self destructive. Like you say, it ruins the whole cruise.

We were thrilled to miss the port, being so exhausted from the port intensive cruise, we needed that break!

Amelia

We had already decided to skip Monaco because we took walking tours in Rome and Florence, and we were beat. DH woke me up around 4 a.m. and told me he had been out on our balcony, and seas were very rough. He figured we wouldn't be able to tender in. Safety of passengers has to come first!

I don't understand why some people seem to think cruise lines make changes just to anger or gyp passengers. They want to keep passengers not alienate them.

I havent got a problem with a change due to weather or last minute circumstances, but this far in advance is extremely bad service.

OMG, Bad Service? You think notifying travelers 4 months in advance is "Bad" service? You just can't please some people.

As stated, the dates changed, princess had no choice.

You can't win: You hear from people that board the ship that are informed a port will be missed and they are angry: You notify travelers 4 months in advance of a change and they are angry. Why does everybody want "compensation" for every little thing.

IMHO, 4 months is plenty of time to change your cruise because of an unavoiadable situtation. If you booked with a TA, try explaining this problem to them. Princess may allow you to change your cruise to a different sailing because of this change considering you have already paid in full.

How did you find out about the change? I am booked on the Crown Princess whos itinery has her arriving for race day 16th May, which was the main reason for booking this particular cruise, my main concern was whether we would be docked or tendered, if docked on the breakwater we wouldn't need tickets for the grand prix but if tendered in we would need tickets, so just to cover us I bought tickets for one of the stands, it is going to be the icing on the cake for us, I am aware that the itinary might change but we could possibly get transport into Monte Carlo from whereever we dock & it would be handy to get some warning to enable planning, but I will have some contingency plans anyway, & if it doesn't happen....well it was only the icing, the rest of the cake is still there & I love marzipan even more !

Back to the main point, how do you find out if there are planned changes?

Many thanks for any replys.

I havent got a problem with a change due to weather or last minute circumstances, but this far in advance is extremely bad service.

A few years ago we had a 14 night cruise booked way in advance and 13 months out Princess canceled the whole cruise! No compensation or explanation. What made it really bad was the 4 couple going were from all over the place - thousands of miles apart and this was the only tie we could all get together.

A few years ago we had a 14 night cruise booked way in advance and 13 months out Princess canceled the whole cruise! No compensation or explanation. What made it really bad was the 4 couple going were from all over the place - thousands of miles apart and this was the only tie we could all get together.

Good point - I have had probably 3 or 4 cruises cancelled many months out with no compensation.

We had already decided to skip Monaco because we took walking tours in Rome and Florence, and we were beat. DH woke me up around 4 a.m. and told me he had been out on our balcony, and seas were very rough. He figured we wouldn't be able to tender in. Safety of passengers has to come first!

I don't understand why some people seem to think cruise lines make changes just to anger or gyp passengers. They want to keep passengers not alienate them.

I think the anger is a cover for disappointment, hurt feelings, stuff like that. People don't like change, that is why only some people like travel because travel evokes much change.

Anyway that was a great cruise, I notice you are repeating it again this year! :) Have a great cruise.

Don't expect anything in the way of compensation. They let you know about this change in itinerary four months in advance. If you read the fine print of your cruise contract it does say that the itinerary can be changed at any moment (even up to the day you are supposed to be in a port) and that is solely at the discretion of the cruise line and Captain. We have had our itinerary changed on many occasions and never expected anything in the way of compensation. Enjoy the fact that you'll be on a cruise in one of the most beautiful spots in the world.

unfortunately the cruise lines can change itineraries for any reason and they sometimes do. They often permit you to cancel cruise but what good does that do you. Ask your travel agent to check into it for you and if they have a good relationship with their sales rep you may get a small cruise credit and if the taxes change a small credit.

I haven't read all the responses to this post, but to the OP, Monte Carlo is about a 50 minute drive from Cannes. Have you considered doing an excursion? Either cruise based or through a private company. I mention this because we joined a group from our roll call and did a private tour. We docked in Cannes, went to St. Paul du Vence, Eze (both medieval towns) as well as Monte Carlo. You can tailor a tour to suit your own wants.

Laura

Dragonqueen, we are also on this cruise and the excursions have opened up today. There is nothing to view for Monte Carlo, so I am assuming they will probably reroute us. Like someone else mentioned the film festival is on in Cannes so it will be busy there. I wonder where else they may reroute us to.....could be somewhere even nicer!

Dragonqueen, we are also on this cruise and the excursions have opened up today. There is nothing to view for Monte Carlo, so I am assuming they will probably reroute us. Like someone else mentioned the film festival is on in Cannes so it will be busy there. I wonder where else they may reroute us to.....could be somewhere even nicer!

Saw an advert today which said we would be going to Cannes on this cruise not Monaco, but have not been informed officially.

Coolgran

Or a Sea day!:eek:

Have already paid in full so cancelling isnt an option.

I know the small print will say they can make changes without reading it. But lets face the Grand Prix dates are set for the next 4 years or so so it's not rocket science for Princess to get it right is it.

The ships is MV Grand Princess leaves Southampton 08/05.

Ocean42

It sounds like what your saying is that Princess should ignore it's contract and compensate YOU and no one else because you posted on the roll call that you really wanted to go there. What kind of compensation do you want? You said your not asking for 1000 pounds, but what ARE you asking for? BTW, in the end, you will get nothing but I was curious as to what you were looking for in compensation.

Wouldn't it be ironic if they restored this port and the ship couldn,'t dock for an unforseen circumstance(wind,weather,etc....)? I wonder what kind of compensation the OP would look for then, considering he is already on the cruise rather than finding out about this months in advance.

While I understand the disappointment of the OP, I guess the thing that disturbs me is the sense of entitlement to some sort of compensation. We were on a cruise several years ago that had an itinerary change and we were notified upon boarding. No biggie. But you would have thought the world had ended for some passengers who did nothing but complain and demand compensation because that was the ONLY reason they booked the cruise. As a previous poster said, look at the total cruise experience and then at your attitude about it. If something as minor as a port change can sour your attitude, a cruise is probably not the best vacation for you. No one "owes" you anything in life.

I absolutley agree with this post 100%.

Cruising is one of the cheaper vacations that are out there. Why do people think they are always entitled to compensation when a port is missed, or when they run out of vanilla ice cream (I actually heard this on my last cruise that sombody wanted to be given OBC because they were out of vanilla ice cream on the 2nd to last day of the cruise:unbelieveable).

If you really want to see a port, and will be disappointed if you miss it, then fly and stay in that port. That is to only way to guarantee that you will be there.

Any further news on this Port of call. Last time I looked we are still down for Monaco/Monte Carlo although no excursions are available they are all 'closed'. Princess must have a lot to do with earthquakes & tsunamis, so this is really a minor concern at the moment but just wondered if anybody had any firm news.

Coolgran

some folks look for an opportunity to claim "compensation"

if the OP booked the cruise solely for the visit to Monaco then the answer is simple, take a train, bus, plane, dog sled to Monaco its not far

better still visit eze instead

but whatever you decide forget about compensation, you are not entitled and wont be receiving any

hava great cruise

maybe if you are lucky you will find something else to claim compensation for

some folks look for an opportunity to claim "compensation"

if the OP booked the cruise solely for the visit to Monaco then the answer is simple, take a train, bus, plane, dog sled to Monaco its not far

better still visit eze instead

but whatever you decide forget about compensation, you are not entitled and wont be receiving any

hava great cruise

maybe if you are lucky you will find something else to claim compensation for

:confused: I only asked for an update!!!!!!!!

Coolgran

Wouldn't it be ironic if they restored this port and the ship couldn,'t dock for an unforseen circumstance(wind,weather,etc....)? I wonder what kind of compensation the OP would look for then, considering he is already on the cruise rather than finding out about this months in advance.

As I said earlier this isnt a problem, spent 10 years at sea and understand what weather etc can do to ships, if you had read the previous post you will have seen I have already said that.

Archived