When should I purchase our insurance

GAMOM4

I booked our cruise several months ago - it is for this August - I always purchase travel insurance - through and outside agency - but since the cruise isn't paid in full yet - should I wait until closer to the time that it has to be paid to purcahse the insurance. I didn't book under the early saver rate so I know that I can cancel without penalty up until that time. Just wondering what everyone thought.

Also - the cost of cruises are really going up - I was hoping that for some price reduction but so far it isn't happening (last year ours was reduced several times)

We always purchase ours thru insuremytrip dot com shortly after making our initial deposit, mainly so we can get the pre-existing clause (has to be purchased within 15 or 20 days or so). We mainly do that because we have had to use the insurance before, which is why we have the pre-existing condition. Heart attack on board. :eek: But that's just us... and then it's done & out of the way.

I have a "pre-existing" condition question:

Let's say that I've had a heart attack in that past and have a stent (hypothetical--knock on wood).

I know that I usually have to purchase insurance within 14 days or so of the initial deposit in order to qualify for the pre-existing condition clause.

Now, if I suffer another heart attack that precludes me from taking the cruise, my claim for all non-refundable monies spent should be honored since it was due to a "pre-existing condition."

But, let's say, I don't purchase insurance until later than the 14-day window to qualify for the pre-existing condition clause and get on the cruise and suffer a heart attack 5 days into the cruise, would that be covered?

My question is, does the pre-existing clause only apply to receiving refunds due to not being able to sail?

The insurance prices do not go up nearer to departure, at least I have not seen that.

We don't have any pre-existing conditions to worry about so we buy the insurance around the time the penalties kick in. Before that, you can leave open the possibility of not going on the cruise and you can get your money back without the need for insurance.

I booked our cruise several months ago - it is for this August - I always purchase travel insurance - through and outside agency - but since the cruise isn't paid in full yet - should I wait until closer to the time that it has to be paid to purcahse the insurance. I didn't book under the early saver rate so I know that I can cancel without penalty up until that time. Just wondering what everyone thought.

Also - the cost of cruises are really going up - I was hoping that for some price reduction but so far it isn't happening (last year ours was reduced several times)

You really should have purchased insurance w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit, for the Policies offering Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions (which can be very useful in expediting a claim). You can purchase CSA Policy up to final Payment deadline and get this waiver. Otherwise, most of the policies can be purchased pretty much up to day of sailing - altho you should check this for the specific Policy you normally use. ken

Can you get travel insurance through Carnival or is it better to go through a 3rd party?

The Carnival Berkely Policy offers low Medical coverage, marginal MedEvac coverage and no "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" (but DOES offer Future Cruise CREDIT if your claim is denied as due to Pre-Existing Condition) and now includes cancellation coverage for Hurricane Warning, and cancellation coverage for Job Layoff. If you cancel your Cruise before final Payment the Carnival Policy premium is refundable. Carnival and Berkely both CLAIM that the Policy also covers your independently purchased AirFare. The Carnival Policy is less expensive than the 3rd party policies if you're in the 70’s, as Age is not factored into the Premium as it is with 3rd Party Policies.

The 3rd Party Policies such as CSA, Travel-Ex and Travel-Insured offer much higher coverages are much less expensive if you're younger. They generally offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" if you purchase w/in 14-21 days of your Cruise Deposit (CSA allows you to purchase up to Final Payment and retain the Waiver). Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkley Insurance up to 14 days before sailaway and practically up to sailaway for other Policies. You MUST be physically fit to travel the day you purchase.

Most Policies are “Secondary” meaning that you have to first file claims with your own Health or Homeowners Insurance and the 3rd party Policy will pay what your insurance doesn’t pay (up to limits of the policy). If you're traveling with kids, checkout Trave-lEx and Travel-Insured, who insure Kids free with insured adults.

ken

I have a "pre-existing" condition question:

Let's say that I've had a heart attack in that past and have a stent (hypothetical--knock on wood).

I know that I usually have to purchase insurance within 14 days or so of the initial deposit in order to qualify for the Waiver of pre-existing condition clause.

Now, if I suffer another heart attack that precludes me from taking the cruise, my claim for all non-refundable monies spent should be honored since it was due to a "pre-existing condition." as well as any emergency medical expenses incurred if you did take the cruise and had that heart attack during the cruise.

But, let's say, I don't purchase insurance until later than the 14-day window to qualify for the pre-existing condition clause and get on the cruise and suffer a heart attack 5 days into the cruise, would that be covered? If, in the 60 to 180 days preceding Policiy purchase, depending on which Policy) that condition was totally under control with no associated doctor visits to treat new symptoms/re-occurances and no Prescription changes, you would be covered. Otherwise Medical expenses would not be covered; most/all Policies would still cover your expensive MedEvac, though! Interesting - with Carnival Policy, if your claim is denied as being due to a pre-existing condition, you get a future cruise credit!!!

My question is, does the pre-existing clause only apply to receiving refunds due to not being able to sail? No. Also applies to emergency medical expenses during the cruise.

You can purchase CSA Policies with the waiver, up to Final Payment Deadline.

Also, the Premium doesn't change the later you wait.

Also, if you cancel your cruise prior to final payment Deadline, the Carnival Policy's premium is also refundable at that time!!!!

ken

What exactly is a pre-existing condition? I read in one of the fine prints that if you a safe to travel and on long term maint. drugs (say heart or cholesterol), that is not a pre-existing condition. As I read they all had a 30, 60,or 90 day window that said if you had a condition requiring treatment within that window, that was a pre-existing condition and would not be covered. So lets say someone had a a surgery (lets say back or arm) previously (outside that window) and has since healed, if there is an injury to that area on the cruise, would that be a pre-existing condition and not be covered? I was under the impression that if you had been healthy and without long term illness for the time stated in the pre-existing clause, then the waiver was not relevent. Please help me understand???:confused:

What exactly is a pre-existing condition? I read in one of the fine prints that if you a safe to travel and on long term maint. drugs (say heart or cholesterol), that is not a pre-existing condition. As I read they all had a 30, 60,or 90 day window that said if you had a condition requiring treatment within that window, that was a pre-existing condition and would not be covered. So lets say someone had a a surgery (lets say back or arm) previously (outside that window) and has since healed, if there is an injury to that area on the cruise, would that be a pre-existing condition and not be covered? I was under the impression that if you had been healthy and without long term illness for the time stated in the pre-existing clause, then the waiver was not relevent. Please help me understand???:confused:

Below is the Pre-Existing condition material from a typical (CSA) Policy:

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION means an illness, disease, or

other condition during the 180-day period immediately prior to

your effective date for which you or your Traveling Companion

or Family Member is scheduled or booked to travel with you:

1. received, or received a recommendation for, a diagnostic

test, examination, or medical treatment; or

2. took or received a prescription for drugs or medicine.

Item 2 of this definition does not apply to a condition which is

treated or controlled solely through the taking of prescription

drugs or medicine and remains treated or controlled without

any adjustment or change in the required prescription

throughout the 180-day period before coverage is effective

under this Policy.

The following exclusion applies to the Medical or Dental

Expense, Emergency Assistance, Trip Cancellation, Trip

Interruption, and Travel Delay coverages:

2. We will not pay for loss or expense caused by or incurred

resulting from a Pre-Existing Condition, as defined in the

plan, including death that results therefrom. This Exclusion

does not apply to benefits under Covered Expenses

items 1 and 2 (emergency medical evacuation) or item

6 (repatriation of remains) of the Emergency Assistance

Benefits Coverage.

WAIVER OF THE PRE-EXISTING CONDITION EXCLUSION

The Pre-Existing Condition Exclusion is waived provided you

meet all of the following requirements:

1. the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24

hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip; and

2. you are not disabled from travel at the time you make your

plan payment.

Ken

In your scenario you don't have a pre-existing condition because it didn't initially occur (or re-occur) during the lookback window. The Waiver is still nice to have, because if you were to submit any claum from your cruise, with the Waiver the Insurance Company would have no reason to delay processing/payment while looking back for a pre-existing condition. ken

Thanks Ken... Is final payment the time that Carnival receives it or the time the travel agency takes it?

That's an interesting question! I always assumed it was the final payment Deadline for your cruise, but several policies are worded similar to "

the payment for this plan is received prior to/or within 24 hours of your final payment for your Covered Trip...".

I'd check with the specific Insurance Company if this is a concern!!!

Archived