Voyager Engine Shutdown on WC

We left Cairns, Australia, yesterday and are at sea enroute to Thursday Island, our next "scheduled" port. Captain Dag made a PA at noon saying one of the four diesel engines had to be shutdown for repairs. Said because of reduced speed we would not call on Thursday Island and were now on a course for Darwin, Australia. We were only to be on Thursday Island for 5 hours anyway so no big deal. Funny thing is he did not mention this during his daily 9am PA so I assume it happened after that. When I got up this morning TV channel 3 said we were making 17 knots and are still making 17 knots now. Makes me feel he just did not want to stop there. I really don't care one way or the other. This is our first WC and we are having a blast. The crew is absolutely incredible. Food is way beyond my expectations as is entertainment. If you are interested I am doing a blog post every day and lots of pictures. By the way, Capt Dag said engine should be back online later today.

www.weilerworldcruise2010.blogspot.com

The crew is absolutely incredible. Food is way beyond my expectations as is entertainment. If you are interested I am doing a blog post every day and lots of pictures.

In view of some comments recently, that is good to hear. I am enjoying your blog and the photos very much and I really appreciate you (and Larry) taking up so much time to keep us informed. It sounds a wonderful cruise.

We are making 15 knots now as we head for the Northern tip of the peninsula where Thursday Island is. That's pretty fast for the narrow channel we are in right now as there buoys off the starboard side are right close. Whatever it was they seem to have got it fixed as we have been running at this speed all day. At least every time I've checked.

The Ship's GPS show us right off the coast.I have not heard any updates but I think all is well.

Docked at Thursday Island in 2008. In my opinion you are absolutely not missing a thing. Don't know why ships dock there. Woould have been better on our cruise to spend more time in one of the other Australian cities.

Enjoying reading your blog.

Joanne, the chocoholic

We are really enjoying your blog -- look forward to them:)

Enjoying reading your blog.

Joanne, the chocoholic

Forgive me, but I have been following with great pleasure the blogs of Larry and sevenseassailor. Could anyone give me the link to the blog referred to in Travelcat's and Sable's posts above, presumably written by WC11.

Thanks in advance.

Forgive me, but I have been following with great pleasure the blogs of Larry and sevenseassailor. Could anyone give me the link to the blog referred to in Travelcat's and Sable's posts above, presumably written by WC11.

Thanks in advance.

Orpington I think Larry (and Karen) is WC11

Was napping and noticed increase in vibration (yes, we are deck 6 aft) about 5pm here so looked at Ch 3 and our speed was up to 18 kts again so guess engine is back on line. Treating my Valentine in Prime 7 tonight so better get ready for cocktails in Observation Lounge. Caviar just showed up. Hey, someone has to do this!

• 2 weeks later...

Rick-enjoy your blog;hope Rebecca is feeling better. We will join you in Hong Kong. Larry and I were in the Pentagon across the hall from each other in the mid 80's. Look froward to meeting him and Karen and you two. Your blogs have been very helpful as well as interesting. John and Gail Cady .

Archived