Buying alcohol in duty free shop to my room

Now that's a question I would be very surprised to see a postiive response to. To put someone in danger of losing their job.... hmm.... not something I would ever consider myself.

Agreed,

it´s one thing to break the rule and worst case having to deal with the consequences, but to put someone else at risk is very unfair IMO.

I prefaced my original question with a caveat. By your thinking, tipping a chambermaid would be putting her job in jeapordy as well.

Have a good day, make sure to take your 3pm nap.

If you are tipping the chambermaid for breaking a rule her employer has set for her job then yes, if you are tipping her for providing good servive within her given duties - no.

I prefaced my original question with a caveat. By your thinking, tipping a chambermaid would be putting her job in jeapordy as well.

Have a good day, make sure to take your 3pm nap.

Yeap.... you did say it was a dumb question..... sorry.

I always tip my chambermaid..... never known it to be an offense for her to accept it. I shan't risk doing that in future :rolleyes:

On one cruise, my wife purchased a rather expensive piece of jewelry. I was kidding the young clerk about "what do I get out of this purchase,besided the lousy sales receipt?". She told me her husband was the manager of the onboard liquor store, and for me to go over there and pick out what I wanted. The liquor store manager sent it to our cabin, along with some chocolate covered strawberries.

That is one way to get a bottle delivered to your cabin, albeit rather expensive.:D

That's something I'd never even thought of, simply because there are so many other ways to get alcohol on board. I've seen so many people bring it on from ports without having to "check" it, and we've even brought stuff in our carryons. I think that if you want to have alcohol with you, there are plenty of ways to do it.

You think it's even remotely possible that the cashier is going to risk his/her job for a bit of $ just so you can sneak a bottle of whatever to your cabin? Really? You'd ask someone to risk being fired? Wow. Kind of selfish don't you think? (And completely unrelated to tipping your cabin steward for doing his or her job!)

You know there are receipts showing purchases and when they get the bottles ready for delivery on the final day, everything has to match those purchases. There's no way that management wouldn't find out. If management found out, the employee would almost certainly be fired, but more than that, the cruise line could ban you. And that, of course, doesn't even address the issue of how wrong the whole idea is.

beachchick

I think it would be very unlikely to succeed. The inventory in the store is fairly well controlled. And they know that what has been sold is distributed the night before debarkation. I'm guessing with the computerized sales system there wouldn't be a way to easily subvert this.

On one cruise, my wife purchased a rather expensive piece of jewelry. I was kidding the young clerk about "what do I get out of this purchase,besided the lousy sales receipt?". She told me her husband was the manager of the onboard liquor store, and for me to go over there and pick out what I wanted. The liquor store manager sent it to our cabin, along with some chocolate covered strawberries.

That is one way to get a bottle delivered to your cabin, albeit rather expensive.:D

How long ago??

As I recall, we could have liquor sent to our cabin until September of either '06 or '07. Since then it's nada till the next to the last day of the cruise (ie disembark the next morning).

Rick

How long ago??

As I recall, we could have liquor sent to our cabin until September of either '06 or '07. Since then it's nada till the next to the last day of the cruise (ie disembark the next morning).

Rick

You are close, our very first cruise in November 1997 we were able to bring liquor back to our cabin after that they started to hold it until the end. Supposedly it was because of people "falling" overboard. But, if you recall back then cruise prices were a lot more expensive than they are now, cruising has become a lot more competitive but the lines still need to meet the bottom line.

So you ask the "Dumb Question" and then feel it necessary to be rude when someone answers it, nice.

Maybe you could buy your liquor ashore and try "greasing" the security guard,see how that works. Probably just as well as it would with the cashier.

I hear that you can be successful in this method when you buy a drink at a bar, if you give money to one of the bar people, you will find that they allow you to take the drink anywhere you want.

.............Have a good day, make sure to take your 3pm nap.

I hear that you can be successful in this method when you buy a drink at a bar, if you give money to one of the bar people, you will find that they allow you to take the drink anywhere you want.

I'm gonna try that next cruise!!!!;):D:)

Archived