Nassau/Freeport - What to do? Reputable excursons?

TheresaR

Cruising 2/21 - 2/28. We'll be in Pt Canaveral one day, Nassau one full day and Freeport from about 7am til 2ish.

I looked into the Carnival excursions, but having some trouble with the prices and deciding if it's the best way to go. We tend to be a bit more spontaneous and don't like the idea of locking into an excursion in advance if we can avoid it and still have fun.

In FL, I wouldn't mind seeing the space center but cruise line excursions ae very pricy. Any other way to do it?

In Bahamas, we want to do some beach but not all day. Kids are interested in horseback riding on the beach, snorkeling, dolphins, stingrays, and pirate history. I'd like to get some of the cultural experience and see some of the island. BF wants to scuba dive at least once on the trip. Will probably want to do something w/the kids while he dives. We are not really very good advance planners :).

So what will we be able to do when we get off he ship that won't cost a fortune, will keep us busy without being hectic, and is safe without locking ourselves in ahead of time? How do we get around?

If advance planning is a must, is there a Web site where I can find reputable day tour/excursion vendors? I have found a lot of info online and better prices than the cruise line, but honestly, don't know who to trust. Any suggestions?

I've been asking questions here all week and I just have to say thank you so much to everyone who has been so kind in helping us plan our first cruise! I'm certain our vacation will be better because of the information we've gotten from people here :).

In Bahamas, we want to do some beach but not all day. Kids are interested in horseback riding on the beach, snorkeling, dolphins, stingrays, and pirate history. I'd like to get some of the cultural experience and see some of the island.
There is a Pirate Museum in Nassau. I haven't been to it, but I am sure others here have. The kids would probably like it. We are doing a self-guided walking tour of Nassau.

BF wants to scuba dive at least once on the trip. Will probably want to do something w/the kids while he dives. We are not really very good advance planners :)
Hubby is going scuba diving in Freeport, which I booked through the cruise line for the sole reason that the time there is limited and I don't want to take the risk of a delay in getting back to the boat.

In FL, I wouldn't mind seeing the space center but cruise line excursions ae very pricy. Any other way to do it?
Sure, rent a car and buy your tickets online in advance. It'll be much cheaper. You can't wait, though, to book a car. If you want to do that, you'll have to reserve a car now. If you change your mind, you can always cancel the car.

Thanks for all the advice :).

I booked a 3 hour island tour for me and the kids in Freeport through a p[rivate vendor. They were very nice - I talked to them on the phone to make sure we wouldn't have any issues making the ship and they were very helpful!

Booked BF for scuba in Freeport - the 2-tank trip. Maybe he and your DH will bump into one another - hopefully only figuratively!

Great advice about FL - BF wants to see Disney and we figured out we can do it using the rental car option for about $200 cheaper than the ship offers! Just trying to decide if we want to do that or the space center now - kids and I did a full week @ Disney 2 years ago. Space Center is definitely way cheaper!

In Nassau, I booked via the cruise line a catamaran/snorkel/beach thing that's about 4 hours long in the afternoon for the whole fam, since everyone wants to snorkle. Not sure what to do with the rest of the day. Will probably take our time getting up and off the ship. Are there places we can walk to from the port area for dinner, shopping etc? Can we take a cab to the pirate museum in the morning before our excursion?

Hi there,

Since you have seen Disney before recently, I would definitely do the Kennedy Space Center. It's such an amazing excursion! It does take the whole day, but it's really worth it. You get a 3 hour narrated bus tour of the facility (yes, it's that big!). You also get access to the astronaut memorial (very touching) and to a large hall where they exhibit things like a lunar landing module and rocket motors. You can touch a moon rock there. And eat astronaut ice cream, that comes in tiny round little balls. Definitely very cool, especially for kids/teens. There are also 2 Imax movie theatres on site, but we didn't try those. If you want to read more about the space center, you can read my Trip Advisor review of them at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34117-d109291-Reviews-Kennedy_Space_Center-Cape_Canaveral_Florida.html. I think the best about it is it's both fun and educational.

"In Nassau, I booked via the cruise line a catamaran/snorkel/beach thing that's about 4 hours long in the afternoon for the whole fam, since everyone wants to snorkle. Not sure what to do with the rest of the day."

In Nassau, you can walk right into downtown from the ship in about 5 minutes. We did that first thing in the morning when we were there last September and we were done by 10:00 am (it's not large). To get there, as you exit the pier, you walk through a big hall full of craft vendors. Once you exit the hall, cross the road and voila! You're downtown. We picked up a free downtown map in the big hall and went walking. We saw lots of stores and banks, their Government House (parliament), Christ Church Cathedral (quite beautiful, we walked in), the Garden of Remembrance (cenotaph to those killed in both World Wars), etc. The streets are narrow and the side walks aren't in the best condition, but we did have a pleasant stroll looking at "normal" life on a weekday in Nassau and people in suits going in to work in pink buildings (not something we get at home). I think that doing this would allow you to get back on the ship for a quick lunch before going out again to your snorkelling excursion. (If you had more time, I would suggest you give Atlantis a try, but it's not worth it for just a morning since the water attractions open only around 10:00 am).

Have fun!

OttawaTravelAgent

Thank you so much for all the helpful info. This is the best description of walking off the ship I've seen. I had no idea what to expect - one person's 'walking distance' isn't always another's. I love the idea of doing 'town' in the morning. I think we will prob eat in Nassau. I'm a firm believer that if you go somewhere, you should sample the local cuisine. When we were in Mexico, we ate 1 meal a day somewhere that locals frequent even though our resort was all-inclusive.

Any recommendations for not-too-touristy eateries? I don't wanna go to the Bahamas to eat in TGI Friday's!

Cruising 2/21 - 2/28. We'll be in Pt Canaveral one day, Nassau one full day and Freeport from about 7am til 2ish.

Looks like we will be doing the same cruise except we are sailing a month later; that is if you are sailing on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore.

I booked a 3 hour island tour for me and the kids in Freeport through a private vendor. They were very nice - I talked to them on the phone to make sure we wouldn't have any issues making the ship and they were very helpful!

I have used Island Marketing Ltd in the past for excursions in other ports and have been quite satisfied with them.

Great advice about FL - BF wants to see Disney and we figured out we can do it using the rental car option for about $200 cheaper than the ship offers! Just trying to decide if we want to do that or the space center now - kids and I did a full week @ Disney 2 years ago. Space Center is definitely way cheaper!

In reading reviews by others for this itinerary, renting a car seems to be the way to go for this port of call. That's the way we are going and we will be doing the Space Center. Priced a few car rental companies and found Budget gave us a good price plus they offer a free shuttle from the cruise terminal to their rental location.

In Nassau, I booked via the cruise line a catamaran/snorkel/beach thing that's about 4 hours long in the afternoon for the whole fam, since everyone wants to snorkle. Not sure what to do with the rest of the day. Will probably take our time getting up and off the ship. Are there places we can walk to from the port area for dinner, shopping etc? Can we take a cab to the pirate museum in the morning before our excursion?

Other option if you want to consider a similar excursion but through an independent operator would be Stuart Cove (http://www.stuartcove.com/). They have gotten pretty good reviews by others here on Cruise Critic.

• 2 weeks later...

Nassau snorkeling/catamaran was cancelled due to high winds. We ended up doing Blue Water Cove swim w/dolphins - deep water - was about $200/person and definitely worth it for a one-time experience. Beautiful island and you get use of the beach with the package, though weather prevented us from making use of that part. They also have swim with sea lions which we did not do.

The private tour of Freeport was not at all as advertised and very odd. We had a great time but it was definitely weird. I'll post more on that via review.

BF's scuba excursion booked via carnival in Freeport was amazing - he had nothing but good to say about it.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We have been on Sand Dollar cruises twice and really enjoyed it. Once we went on a morning cruise, and once afternoon. Both were nice, but in the morning we saw dolphins. The snorkeling was good, we got lots of sand dollars. I think the crew is very nice, and it is a small group, so it is very laid-back. We also do a little shopping there around the dock it leaves from--Port Lucaya, I guess.

I haven't been snorkeling in Nassau--have done more stuff around town there.

Hope to go back soon!

Kim

I looked into the Carnival excursions, but having some trouble with the prices and deciding if it's the best way to go. We tend to be a bit more spontaneous and don't like the idea of locking into an excursion in advance if we can avoid it and still have fun.

In Bahamas, we want to do some beach but not all day. Kids are interested in horseback riding on the beach, snorkeling, dolphins, stingrays, and pirate history. I'd like to get some of the cultural experience and see some of the island. BF wants to scuba dive at least once on the trip. Will probably want to do something w/the kids while he dives. We are not really very good advance planners :).

So what will we be able to do when we get off he ship that won't cost a fortune, will keep us busy without being hectic, and is safe without locking ourselves in ahead of time? How do we get around?

If advance planning is a must, is there a Web site where I can find reputable day tour/excursion vendors? I have found a lot of info online and better prices than the cruise line, but honestly, don't know who to trust. Any suggestions?

I've been asking questions here all week and I just have to say thank you so much to everyone who has been so kind in helping us plan our first cruise! I'm certain our vacation will be better because of the information we've gotten from people here :).

Here's some links to start.

www.bestonbahamas.com

http://www.majestictoursbahamas.com/

www.pirates-of-nassau.com

www.stuartcove.com

www.dolphinencounters.com

http://www.stingrayadventure.com/

http://www.windsorequestriancentre.com/

www.seahorsesailingadventures.com

www.flyingcloud.info

The more popular tours (dolphins, horses, diving) get filled up months in advance during busy weeks. You are going during Presidents week, a very busy week.

Check out the ages for horseback riding, they are pretty restricted in nassau, don't know about freeport.

We just got back today and can't say enough about the Taste of Nassau tour. (google Island Marketing) Very informative. Got to see the tourist photo ops (Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle, Atlantis and the like) but also got a lot of history from Joe our very informative guide and were driven all around town and shown places we simply would never have found on our own. Not to mention the included lunch sampler platter at some local hole in the wall joint you would never give a second look to that was the BEST food we had on the entire cruise. Felt a litte shady at first, doing buisness with some unknown entity on the net but believe me, that was not the case at all.

Archived