Luau for POA itinerary - suggestions?

dixielandings

I have also read great things about the Old Lahaina Luau. However, I have also read not to plan it if you are going to the Road to Hana, as you will be too rushed to make it back in time. So, I am at a loss as to which luau to attend. I am leaning to one on Oahu. Since I am more interested in the show than the food, I am thinking about the Polynesian Cultural Center. It seems their are lots of pros and cons to that one as well as all the others I have read about. If anyone has any new enlightenment, I would appreciate it. Like I said, the show is really my priority.

I have also read great things about the Old Lahaina Luau. However, I have also read not to plan it if you are going to the Road to Hana, as you will be too rushed to make it back in time. So, I am at a loss as to which luau to attend. I am leaning to one on Oahu. Since I am more interested in the show than the food, I am thinking about the Polynesian Cultural Center. It seems their are lots of pros and cons to that one as well as all the others I have read about. If anyone has any new enlightenment, I would appreciate it. Like I said, the show is really my priority.

We are in fact doing the RTH and then driving over to Lahaina, we are allowing around 6 hours to drive the RTH and back and so hopefully we should be able to leave Kahului around 4.00pm to get us to the OLL around 5.00pm. We have heard such good reviews of the OLL that we felt that was the one to go for, and as most people say you should do the RTH on the Monday we had no choice but to do the 2 things the same day, plus we have booked a round of golf at Wailea for tuesday and sending the wives on a whale watching tour LOL.

We are in fact doing the RTH and then driving over to Lahaina, we are allowing around 6 hours to drive the RTH and back and so hopefully we should be able to leave Kahului around 4.00pm to get us to the OLL around 5.00pm. We have heard such good reviews of the OLL that we felt that was the one to go for, and as most people say you should do the RTH on the Monday we had no choice but to do the 2 things the same day, plus we have booked a round of golf at Wailea for tuesday and sending the wives on a whale watching tour LOL.

The OLL is supposed to be the best in the islands and we will be doing it with Sharon and Steve off the April 17th sailing. However, be warned, this is not the same luau you get elsewhere with fire dancers and etc. This will be purely Hawaiian and so, does not appeal to some who like the overall polynesian experience. The Cultural Center is ok but you sit in rising stepped seating under cover if I remember correctly. The show is polynesian but good. We have also done the Wailea Marriott and what used to be the Prince on Maui and enjoyed them both so lots to choose from depending on what days they actual have them. I believe the ship does one as an excursion on Kaua'i. The road to Hana can drive you nuts with the slow traffic and then trying to hurry across the island in weekend traffic to make the 5:15 or 5:30 start may be too much. Good luck.

We have been to the PCC several times and the show is top notch. It is on risers vs. a traditional luau style set up. The show is spectacular. We ate at the luau at the PCC last time and the food was fine. If you are looking for great entertainment, the PCC will provide you that with its night time show. The value is certainly there as well. I am not sure what other cons there might be (for me being on risers is not a con) but if you post them I will reply if I know.

Jen in SoCal

Double post, oops

We have been to the PCC several times and the show is top notch. It is on risers vs. a traditional luau style set up. The show is spectacular. We ate at the luau at the PCC last time and the food was fine. If you are looking for great entertainment, the PCC will provide you that with its night time show. The value is certainly there as well. I am not sure what other cons there might be (for me being on risers is not a con) but if you post them I will reply if I know.

Jen in SoCal

I am not all that interested in a traditional luau. The show is what I am after. I think we will likely try the PCC. Thanks for the heads up.

We are on the May 8, 2010, sailing of POA and want to do a luau somewhere along the way - preferrably not on Oahu. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We've looked at a couple on Kauai but would like to hear about people's experiences!

NCL has a luau excursion on Kauai. We did not go so I can say how good it is, just another option for you.

DT

I was on the 1/23 POA sailing and booked the POA luaua because it coincided with my birthday. There are three options 1) take a train tour of the plantation and see and eat at the show 2) take the train tour and eat at the Mansion at Gaylord and then go to the show with ring side seats or 3) just go and eat under the tent and watch the show. We chose option 3, which left the dock at 4PM and got pack at around 9PM.

Bottom line: 600 passengers from POA attended one of the three options. Tables are assigned randomly; but since the show is in the round it really doesn't matter where you seat. They even have hula dancers in the four corners of the room. The show is in reality a story of this first people to find the islands and ends with the reuniting of two lovers.

The show was OK - complete with firedancers and dances from different pacific islands besides hawaii. There was an open bar and the food was suprisingly good.

Was it worth a 100/person - I guess so, but I agree one luaua is enough to last a lifetime.

Caveat. There are vendors selling their wares on the property before the show. I bought from several. I bought a tiki from a carver that was inside the grounds as you walked in I paid $600 in cash for it and $100 for shipping. Needless to say I have yet to receive the tiki and the carver gave me a cell phone number that I keep leaving messages on, with any

response

I hope this was helpful in making your decision

Archived