How much do you tip at specialty restaurants?

Kim225

How much would you tip for the table at a specialty restaurant (5 adults)?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you tip for the table at a specialty restaurant (5 adults)?

• I do not add a tip, it is included in the price?
    • $5.00
    • $10.00
    • $15.00
    • $20.00
    • More than $20.00

We have reservations at Chops for 5 adults on our upcoming IOS cruise. We have never eaten at one of the specialty restauants and I was curious about tipping. I have read that some people tip extra and some people do not. I am wondering how many people actually tip extra and how much they tip. How much would you tip for 5 adults in Chops?

I usually give an extra $10 per person. You will have a lot of people tell you on these boards that the tip is included like it says on the website but they work very hard and give great service. They really appreciate it. One time I was invited back from the Chops manager as his guests so we ended up eating at CHops 3 times that cruise. You will see how the service is and base it on that.

I think we tipped what we tip at a regular restaurant--20%. But it's like when you buy a drink at the bar--the tip's included and you don't have to add extra. Our server was really good. Don't feel like you have to add extra if they're not deserving. It's called a TIP for a reason.

I usually give an extra $10 per person. You will have a lot of people tell you on these boards that the tip is included like it says on the website but they work very hard and give great service. They really appreciate it. One time I was invited back from the Chops manager as his guests so we ended up eating at CHops 3 times that cruise. You will see how the service is and base it on that.

Why wouldn't they invite you back again...easy money ;)

We don't tip $30 for dinner on land for the two of us, generally it's about $10-15 for the food portion of the meal. That's roughly 20% for an $80 meal, excluding alcohol.

I don't happen to think the meal is worth any more than an $80 meal for two would be on land, $25-30 for entree, $8-10 for dessert (we usually split one) per person.

We do add more if there is wine or alcohol served, but on a cruise ship, the tip is automatically added so no worries there.

So, adding in $10 extra to the tip already included, you are tipping almost 40%. We don't feel we need to tip more because the food is better, the servers didn't cook it.

No server in the specialty restaurants is going to argue with you for giving them your excess cash.

We do not, however, reduce the tip to the MDR servers because we are not there. I consider them there, ready to work for us, yet we don't show...that means (to us) we've taken their income away for the day.

While we usually do tip extra in the specialty restaurant I did not answer your poll as it is one of those 'it depends' type things. If the server is very helpful, polite, does something above and beyond I have no problems giving up to $10 a piece. However, if they take my order, bring my food, and the tab without personality, etc they usually don't get any extra.

Not to get into the other debate, but I do agree with Happy KS and do not reduce my tips to the MDR staff since it was my choice to eat in the specialty restaurant.

Archived