Hawaii Cruise Pricing questions

stipmom

We are thinking of taking a cruise In Jan or Feb 2011. Will need five cabins. I noticed most of the prices are similiar no matter what time of year you go. Have never been on Norwegian before. Do they have many price drops? Do they honor them after final payment?

We've been back a little over 2 months now. I originally booked a G obstructed ocean view with French windows on deck7. Price drop several months later and I moved up to a BG (stern balcony deck 7) for maybe $50 more pp. Then after final payment the price for BA was the same as I'd paid for BG so they moved me there (deck 10 stern).

One person in our roll call was able to get on board credit when that happened to him, plus they moved him from BG to BA, but I was unable to do so, using the same online agency and even the same agent who talked to the same person at NCL! The only thing they could tell me was we hadn't paid the same amount. Then they said it was up to NCL in all cases, which is true. A travel agent only has so much clout!

Because you are sailing at night, you don't get an awful lot of use of your balcony on PofA as far as scenic views, except in port. Two of the ports, Maui and Kauai are overnights, and it was nice to be on the stern and not have to look at the industrial port. But a balcony is very nice for the late night active volcano viewing. some want to do the NaPali viewing on the last day from their balcony, but we went up on the Promenade Deck to be able to hear the narration by the Hawaiian Ambassador.

We booked a Deck 7 aft last Sept. for this May. The price has only gone up and up. I actually transferred my booking to an on-line agency and immediately saved $600. Now with the price increase, I am saving close to $900.

I am still amazed at the high cost of the cruise compared to all other cruises we have been on...especially since everyone says you are hardly on the ship and the food and service are not comparable to other cruiselines. NCL sure has captured the market and can fill the ship at any cost they want.

I am still amazed at the high cost of the cruise compared to all other cruises we have been on...especially since everyone says you are hardly on the ship and the food and service are not comparable to other cruiselines. NCL sure has captured the market and can fill the ship at any cost they want.

I know what you mean, I am flying to New Orleans for $200, I thought about going to Germany and the prices were 100% more! :rolleyes:

As another previous poster indicated and I agree, the rule of thumb for this ship, are the prices will increase the closer you get to your cruise. NCL use to operate three ships for this itin but cut back to one. With that many beds taken out of the market, the ticket price points did exactly what NCL needed them to do; go up. Also, to the person that commented on the quality of this ship; I have cruised on both the Pride of America and the Pride of Hawaii before they reflagged the vessel, a couple of times each, I enjoyed the food and staff, and is some cases more than some of my other past cruises.

Because the ship only calls on US ports it must, under US maritime law, have an all US crew which is incredibly more expensive than being able to have a foreign crew. That is one of the main reasons for higher fares.

It really has to do with the capacity. If we follow your logic, when they had three ships there, paying three American crew, the cost would have been much higher than it is today. It was not, it was lower then not higher. By reducing the capacity, demand stayed about the same, it allowed NCL to raise their price points.

I am a corporate recruiter and do work for NCL. The capacity does in fact play a big role but they had a very, very difficult time staffing up those ships and had to pay much, much higher salaries to US citizens than they ever have to for those from the Philippines and other 3rd world countries. That also played a significant reason for pulling out the other two ships.

I am a corporate recruiter and do work for NCL. The capacity does in fact play a big role but they had a very, very difficult time staffing up those ships and had to pay much, much higher salaries to US citizens than they ever have to for those from the Philippines and other 3rd world countries. That also played a significant reason for pulling out the other two ships.

I think we are splitting hairs here and saying the same thing. The overall cost of operating three ships vs one is major in dollar amount. And yes, the american crew are union employees with wages to go along with it...Moreover, they were not filling the beds as much as they wanted to at the fare they needed to turn a profit...Less beds, same demand, reduction in over all costs, should equal higher fare rates and profits...

Archived