Waiting for cabin assignment...

ybarber

I just checked the online check in page on the HAL site, and we still have a GUAR - however, when I went in like I was trying to book the cruise, all of the various cabin types are "closed" except for the Penthouse Suite. Does that mean that the Ships Inventory Department is getting ready to assign the Guarantee cabins? I thought I read somewhere on this board (can't find it now, to save my soul) that they closed all types of cabins prior to doing this. I am so excited to see if we get upgraded from an SZ!

Has anyone booked a SZ GTY and ended up in one? If so, where are the SZ's located and can you tell me how the stateroom was?

I am counting the days...14 more to go - our first 14 day - need that warm weather - it was a brisk 6 degrees here this morning!

Thanks for your help!

Yes, at 14 days to go they are already assigning the guarantee cabins. You'll probably hear in the next 3 to 6 days.

On the Westerdam the two SZ are on the Upper Verandah - 6052 and 6117, both at "the bends" with an angled balcony.

We had SZ6117 on the Westerdam,let me just say it was an awesome cabin.The balcony is really long and angled so you can see out without sticking your head out and looking around.Does that make sense to you?Cabin is quite large also,lots of room.We loved this cabin and would book it again in a New York minute.Hope that helps.Janerd.

On my last two cruises, I noticed they closed all categories a few weeks out.

That's when they started offering upsells to people who were booked in specific cabins.

On the Westerdam in November, DH and I had an SY booked and were offered an upsell to a suite about two weeks out.

My DD and her boyfriend had booked a guarantee. They were not offered an upsell when we were.

About a week out they were assigned a cabin a few categories above what they had booked, from an HH to a D, I think. A day or two later they were offered an upsell to a balcony.

Seems to me the upsells come first, then the guarantees.

That way HAL can make money on moving people up.

We had a SZ GTY cabin on the Eurodam 1/30/10 and loved it. It was port side cabin 5098 right next to the glass elevators. Would take that cabin again in an instant. Great loacation, midship and you could get anywhere on the ship so fast. Privacy was not an issue. Hope you have a great time.

I am confused. :confused: Isn't the SZ (SY) the same size cabin as a SS? What is the "upgrade" then? A higher deck?

I am not seeing the SZ on the Eurodam, but it is listed as a Guarantee cabin. Also, the other cabins that are being mentioned as being SZ's, are SY's on the Eurodam.

Just got our cabin assignment from SZ GTY to SS!!! A pretty good upgrade and we are thrilled!!!!!

Glad to hear of your good news. An SZ guarentee has always been a good deal. The later the assignment the better. We have garnered an SA and an SB off the SZ guarentee. Even if you get an SZ, its still a great cabin. You will enjoy the SS cabin, they are spacious and very comfortable. Have a great cruise.

I am confused. :confused: Isn't the SZ (SY) the same size cabin as a SS? What is the "upgrade" then? A higher deck?

I am not seeing the SZ on the Eurodam, but it is listed as a Guarantee cabin. Also, the other cabins that are being mentioned as being SZ's, are SY's on the Eurodam.

Well it is location, the SZ is on a lower deck then the SS and also the SS is bigger then the SZ.

The OP are cruising on the Westerdam not the Eurodam and they are different ships. One is a Vista class and the other is a Signature class. Hope that helps...

Congratulation, nice upgrade ybarber.

Well it is location, the SZ is on a lower deck then the SS and also the SS is bigger then the SZ.

The OP are cruising on the Westerdam not the Eurodam and they are different ships. One is a Vista class and the other is a Signature class. Hope that helps...

Congratulation, nice upgrade ybarber.

Thanks! I had not realized that the Eurodam cabin layout had changed - other than the top decks additons - from the Vista class.

The following was what was confusing me. The cabin mentioned is a SY, not SZ. The cabin doesn't appear to be any smaller than the SS. Perhaps it is on the Vista ships. ;)

We had a SZ GTY cabin on the Eurodam 1/30/10 and loved it. It was port side cabin 5098 right next to the glass elevators. Would take that cabin again in an instant. Great loacation, midship and you could get anywhere on the ship so fast. Privacy was not an issue. Hope you have a great time.

The following was what was confusing me. The cabin mentioned is a SY, not SZ. The cabin doesn't appear to be any smaller than the SS. Perhaps it is on the Vista ships. ;)
You must be looking at old deck plans. Originally, the only two SZ on the Eurodam were 10005 and 10006, and 5093 and 5098 were both SY. Now 10005 and 10006 are SU, and 5093 and 5098 are SZ.

On the Vistas there are VE cabins in that area.

Not sure where this deck plan is from, but it does day 12/15/07. :D :o

I can't stand trying to use the deck plans off of HAL because they keep timing out. :( Any suggestion where to find an updated plan?

I printed the deck plans from the HAL website for easy referral. Printed on 11x17 paper.

Not sure where this deck plan is from, but it does day 12/15/07. :D :o

I can't stand trying to use the deck plans off of HAL because they keep timing out. :( Any suggestion where to find an updated plan?

Well, you can visit any TA and pick up a current brochure for 2010 cruises, or stop by the FCC desk while you're on a cruise and get one, or you can request that HAL send you one.

Or, go to the HAL site, go to the deck plan for the ship you want, and click on the link: Printable version of all decks (PDF) under the ship silhouette. That will open up a pdf file which you can then Save on your own computer (by clicking the icon that looks like a floppy disk) for viewing as long as you like.

Or you can choose the 3rd link and have the deck plan emailed to you.

Printable version of Deck 1 - Main Deck (PDF)

Printable version of all decks (PDF)

Email the deck plan for the ms Nieuw Amsterdam

Gotcha! Already done. Thanks for the suggestion to download. I was so annoyed that it kept timing out.

BTW ybarber - Some from my Roll Call are starting to get their assignments a little more than a week out. :)

Yesterday, HAL showed almost all cabin categories available for our sailing, and then yesterday afternoon, all the "V" cats disappeared.:rolleyes: Then this afternoon, all but the Inside categories disappeared and most of what is left is a GTY status. It will all probably show back up after HAL pairs up the GTY folks with their new assignments.

Archived