TravelGuard Insurance vs Princess Insurance

mikjr

After reading Pam from Ca's ordeal about her brother in laws illness on their trip, got me wondering about the insurance coverage.

Looks like the Princess insurance isn't going to cover certain things. We usually take the TravelGuard insurance.

Anyone have experiece or thoughts on the differences between the two policy coverages??

Pam's experience has me pondering these issues as well. Up to this point, I've mostly been concerned with trip cancellation/interruption coverage, because DH and I both have elderly parents with health issues. We've been mostly worried about the need to suddenly cancel or interrupt a cruise if one of our parents dies or is hospitalized. But Pam's experience has me thinking about a whole new set of issues:

1) how much medical coverage is enough?

2) what coverage (if any) pays for family members' extended hotel stays while a loved one is hospitalized?

3) how do you or your injured/sick loved one get home? It seems that emergency evacuation coverage only gets you to the nearest medically appropriate facility (and I can imagine disagreeing with the insurer about whether the facility is medically appropriate).

I'm going to answer this because I'm aware of a certain situation that occurred two years ago. A friend had a heart attack on board, was kept in ship's hospital until arrival into Auckland; transferred to hospital there where he underwent triple bypass surgery. Length of time in NZ before returning home; approx. one month. Spouse stayed at a hotel which Princess arranged. They had Princess insurance. Paid in full.

I'm going to answer this because I'm aware of a certain situation that occurred two years ago. A friend had a heart attack on board, was kept in ship's hospital until arrival into Auckland; transferred to hospital there where he underwent triple bypass surgery. Length of time in NZ before returning home; approx. one month. Spouse stayed at a hotel which Princess arranged. They had Princess insurance. Paid in full.

So... how does this compare with TravelGuards insurance. They also cover medical, right??. Has anyone had to use TG in the past??

While none of us ever expect to fall ill or be injured on a cruise, what has sold us on Princess Insurance is reading about the special attention that the cruise line gives those who have Princess insurance and do have need for care while on a cruise.

Further, Princess has no age related premium so at a more advanced age, the costs are significantly lower.

And, lastly the "free" upgrade to platinum level insurance provides a 100% coverage (transfer to another cruise) if one cancels for any reason.

The Princess insurance administrator, Berkely Care, is one of the largest and most reputable companies administering travel insurance.

So, for us the Princess insurance is the best deal.

I am curious if Australia's medicine is socialized in some way (even for tourists). I know what my mom's bypass cost here in the US and it exceeds the cost of what Princess's medical coverage covers.

While none of us ever expect to fall ill or be injured on a cruise, what has sold us on Princess Insurance is reading about the special attention that the cruise line gives those who have Princess insurance and do have need for care while on a cruise.

Further, Princess has no age related premium so at a more advanced age, the costs are significantly lower.

And, lastly the "free" upgrade to platinum level insurance provides a 100% coverage (transfer to another cruise) if one cancels for any reason.

The Princess insurance administrator, Berkely Care, is one of the largest and most reputable companies administering travel insurance.

So, for us the Princess insurance is the best deal.

Just a few comments. My friends who have used Princess's medical facilities onboard have had to pay for their services onboard and have had to file claims when they returned. It sounds like Pam's BIL did not pay for his bill and probably due to his serious issue, they were not going to hold him captive on the ship or argue about the bill. I have not heard of special attention/special treatment on the ship to those who have their insurance verses other insurance.

I do know of someone who had Access America and broke her hip while the ship was in port in FLL (before the ship left) and Princess's local reps were fabulous to her and the spouse and did all the things that they did for Pam and her sister (arrange for a hotel with a shuttle to the hospital, took him to the bank so he could take care of some financial issues while he was away, etc...). So it sounds like Princess's port people do go the extra mile for those who were injured on the ship and are hospitalized locally (regardless of type of insurance).

You are right - they do not charge more depending on your age which is a benefit but their medical coverage cost is minimal compared to other policies. Their pre-existing condition clause is very complicated and if you fall into this situation, I wouldn't count on coverage unless you situation is cut and dry.

Pam's experience has me pondering these issues as well. Up to this point, I've mostly been concerned with trip cancellation/interruption coverage, because DH and I both have elderly parents with health issues. We've been mostly worried about the need to suddenly cancel or interrupt a cruise if one of our parents dies or is hospitalized. But Pam's experience has me thinking about a whole new set of issues:

1) how much medical coverage is enough?

2) what coverage (if any) pays for family members' extended hotel stays while a loved one is hospitalized?

3) how do you or your injured/sick loved one get home? It seems that emergency evacuation coverage only gets you to the nearest medically appropriate facility (and I can imagine disagreeing with the insurer about whether the facility is medically appropriate).

I think we are all re-thinking this as well. I can tell you that I look at insurance entirely different if I am going on a Canada NE, Coastal or Alaska cruise compared to a cruise outside of the US and Canada. I have been known to buy Princess's insurance for Alaska cruises as my health insurance covers me in Alaska fine.

You are right about evacuation - majority of the time it is to the closest hospital capable of handling the medical situation. There are certain places I do not want to have surgery and if it is not life and death that moment - I want to be flown home.

MJR,

If you're still working don't forget to check your employer provided insurance coverage. I would never have thought of it had not someone on these boards mentioned it.

I checked and I have unlimited medical coverage and evacuation coverage even outside of the US. This made choosing Princess easy with the free upgrade to Platinum. Cost of evacuation has to be paid up front so I make sure I have a healthy credit line on a charge card. I even have an emergency number (US and International) for the card company if I need them to increase the credit line.

Don't forget that any insurance makes you claim against your own insurance first even if they don't cover anything. Someone on Pam's thread made the comment that never get less than $250,000.00 in coverage. I think Pam's family's expenses, medical and room and board, are going to exceed that.

I think insurance is all a crap shoot anyway, but I wouldn't consider cruising without it. It's amazing what age makes you do. When I was younger I never even thought of trip insurance.

Princess sometimes uses the cost of their travel insurance as an incentive to book. We are currently booked on a Princess cruise where the travel insurance was a bargain (half price if I recall correctly). It may not have as good a coverage as some independent policies but, as with all purchases, special offers can make it an excellent buy if you are comfortable with the coverage.

Don't forget that any insurance makes you claim against your own insurance first even if they don't cover anything. .

This is not true - there are policies that are primary insurers and secondary insurers. Primary insurance does not require you to submit to your own insurance first.

Ironically - in some situations, getting a primary policy may end up costing more in the long run. A poster on this board named "iamworthy" I believe put out a situation where secondary insurance actually pays better given some situations..

I just check an email from TravelGuard for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii. It looks like Emergency Medical Transportation coverage is $500,000. I assume that would cover a medivac issue.

I am not old enough for Medicare, but I do have personal medical insurance coverage and as suggested by JFV, I should probably check my out of town coverages.

The TravelGuard coverage for accident/sickness of $25k won't cover much! But, it's really there to cover "Cancellation" more than sickness

Coverages & Benefit Limits

Standard Packages

ACCIDENT AND SICKNESS MEDICAL EXPENSES - $25000.00 Per Insured

ACCIDENTAL DEATH/DISEMBERMENT - $10000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE & TRAVEL DOCUMENTS- $1000.00 Per Insured

BAGGAGE DELAY - $300.00 Per Insured

EMERGENCY MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION - $500000.00 Per Insured

TRIP CANCELLATION - 100% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP DELAY - $750.00 Per Insured

$150.00 Payout Limit Per Day

TRIP INTERRUPTION - 150% Trip Cost Per Insured

TRIP INTERRUPTION - RETURN AIR - $750.00 Per Insured

I just check an email from TravelGuard for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii. It looks like Emergency Medical Transportation coverage is $500,000. I assume that would cover a medivac issue.

It would probably cover a medivac issue but I would question them where they will medivac you to? Even if you have a large amount of coverage, I don't think you have much of a choice of where they take you. If you do want to go to a hospital near your home, I would ask them and if they say the closest facility, I would also buy medjet assist.

I purchase my insurance through Travel Guard. I always choose the policy that has $1 Million dollars in coverage for medi vac and treatment AND hospital of choice. There are some countries that I wouldn't want to have surgery in. The hospital of choice doesn't bring us to our "home" hospital, but close enough that our families could come to us in an emergency.

If I am not mistaken, most of these policies provide coverage on a secondary basis. I would think that since Pam's BIL is in the US, his health coverage is considered first, and then the travel insurance picks up what is left.

Another option that I choose is Cancel for any Reason. Sometimes you never know what might come up just before the trip.

Back in the day when I thought there was no reason to purchase travel insurance, I didn't purchase it. We took a cruise 2 1/2 months after my DH had a heart attack and 4 stents. I had booked the cruise 14 months prior and didn't purchase insurance at the time of booking. I didn't rest easy on that trip until we were home....heaven forbid anything were to have happened. I won't make that mistake ever again.

I purchase my insurance through Travel Guard. I always choose the policy that has $1 Million dollars in coverage for medi vac and treatment AND hospital of choice. There are some countries that I wouldn't want to have surgery in. The hospital of choice doesn't bring us to our "home" hospital, but close enough that our families could come to us in an emergency.

That is good that they now do this. Last time I checked with them, they didn't do that.

Hi

We are going on our first Princess Cruise in 3 weeks. I did not buy insurance but after reading all the threads I am thinking it would be prudent to buy a Princess insurance. Would they allow me to buy their insurance this late? I made my booking on-line from their web site.

thanks.

Princess insurance must be purchased by final payment date, so it is too late for you to do that route now. BUT, you can buy private insurance. A good place to compare policys is http://www.insuremytrip.com

Yes, there has been a lot posted lately about unforseen things happening where the passenger had insurance. We have also seen times when there are many reports from those returning that had a medical problem that didn't have insurance. Those posts are always very sad, and quite costly to the passenger.

My situation was different. I received a jury summons for the Monday following our cruise. We had purchased Travel Guard insurance for that trip. We opted to fly home from San Juan on Monday since the air fares for Sunday were higher and we have hotel points to cover hotel costs. Needless to say, I would not know until the Friday of our cruise if I had to report Monday morn. We changed our flights to Sunday. Travel Guard paid the change fees plus the additional cost of the airfare. As I understand it, Princess insurance would not have helped us since we did not use the cruiseline air arrangements.

With TravelGuard I am covered from the time I leave my house to the time that I return home.

My situation was different. I received a jury summons for the Monday following our cruise. We had purchased Travel Guard insurance for that trip. We opted to fly home from San Juan on Monday since the air fares for Sunday were higher and we have hotel points to cover hotel costs. Needless to say, I would not know until the Friday of our cruise if I had to report Monday morn. We changed our flights to Sunday. Travel Guard paid the change fees plus the additional cost of the airfare. As I understand it, Princess insurance would not have helped us since we did not use the cruiseline air arrangements.

With TravelGuard I am covered from the time I leave my house to the time that I return home.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just ask for a different date? Jury duty date is not etched in stone. It is changeable.

I am curious if Australia's medicine is socialized in some way (even for tourists). I know what my mom's bypass cost here in the US and it exceeds the cost of what Princess's medical coverage covers.

It was New Zealand Coral, not Australia. They did have to pay the hospital, but Princess reimbursed.

It was New Zealand Coral, not Australia. They did have to pay the hospital, but Princess reimbursed.

My point is that my mom's bypass cost more then $25k which is what Princess's maximum insurance costs are for medical. So I wonder if the New Zealand government subsidizes medical care, even for tourists. A stay that long in the US would exceed that amount.

My point is that my mom's bypass cost more then $25k which is what Princess's maximum insurance costs are for medical. So I wonder if the New Zealand government subsidizes medical care, even for tourists. A stay that long in the US would exceed that amount.

Could be. I wasn't privy to this info, just the end result.

With the pre-existing clause there always seems to be a 'look back' time. In other words, the condition could not have developed or a present condition changed in a certain amount of time before you got the policy (sometimes 60-90 or 120 days prior). So in other words, the pre-existing clause on most policys does not cover all pre-existing conditions.

Archived