Malaria in Samana, Dominican Republic?

esam

We will be cruising on NCL in March with a stop in Samana, DR. I see on the CDC website that Malaria is prevalent there. Should I be taking anti-malarial medication? Even if I don't leave the ship?

your doctor should give this advice.

BG

Agreed, check with your doctor. I checked with ours on both our cruisees and she advised us we would not need any shots or medications for our port of calls and Samana was one of them. We are all different as is our medical history, your doctor will advise what is best for you. Happy sailing :D

I am going along with the others, either talk to you doctor or check with the health dept. Normally, these types of precausions are for those who are spending more time in the areas and are going to be going into the jungle, but certainly check anyway. This has come up in regards to Roatan a few times, the advise has always been, no..Like jollycruise mentioned only you and your doctor know your medical history.

Nita

I see on the CDC website that Malaria is prevalent there. Should I be taking anti-malarial medication? Even if I don't leave the ship?
You should get advice from your doctor, as others say.

But if it helps to allay your worries immediately, I can tell you what my travel clinic says: The mosquitoes that carry malaria are only active from dusk. Cruise ship passengers who go ashore only during the day and who sail away from the port by dusk therefore only have an extremely small risk of getting malaria. As anti-malarials all come with greater or lesser degrees of risk (and some can cause serious harm to the patient), normal cruise ship passengers should not be taking them.

On a side note to this after our return from the Dominican Republic we tried to give blood and they asked where we had been and when we told them they said we could not give blood for 1 year. They did change their mind when we told them that we did not get off the ship so if you go ashore they might not let you give blood.

Archived