Cabin Question

Desert_ Dweller

Our TA asked if we would like to pick our cabin # at the time of booking. (extra $$, of course). Little did I know, I didn't know anything about location of these cabins. I've pick a cabin on Sky Deck of Celebrity Infinity and have just found the posts here refering to the overhang from the floor above.:eek:. How much effort is involved to get the TA to change this for us. more $$$?

Our TA asked if we would like to pick our cabin # at the time of booking. (extra $$, of course). Little did I know, I didn't know anything about location of these cabins. I've pick a cabin on Sky Deck of Celebrity Infinity and have just found the posts here refering to the overhang from the floor above.:eek:. How much effort is involved to get the TA to change this for us. more $$$?

As long as your sail day is over 75 days away she should have no problem getting the cabins changed for you. And even if you did not know about the room, the TA should have known and should have recommended one for you.

The TA said the overhang wouldn't affect us at all. Hmmm, I don't think she heard me... I've sent an note off to her today asking for a change.. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if she values her customers. We've got month and months and months before this cruise leaves the dock.

I would be the TA up if she did not change room.:mad: Sounds like you have enough lead time to cancel and take your business elsewhere. That is what we just did. I found a lower rate, $220 lower rate, which ours said she said she would not match since it was more than 30 days since booking. So I shot back, since it was over 110 days til cruise, I would just cancel and book with the online agent at the much lower price...ended up 3 rooms from the original booking at a much lower price!:) Now my DH can go on the daysail in St Thomas with the $ we saved.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We have sailed on Infinity's sisters and usually on deck 9 (Sky deck.)

The overhang that you seem to object to is more pronounced over the middle of the ship.

We happen to prefer it since we are not sun worshipers. You will still get plenty of light, but even in inclement weather those cabin balconies offer greater protection than the standard balcony cabin. The majority of the balcony cabins do have an overhang of some kind.

If I may ask, what is your objection to the overhang? If you post the cabin number either here or on the Celebrity thread we can probably determine the extent of the overhang.

Once you engage the services of a TA the cruise line will not speak to you. You have contracted with the TA and they are your representative with Celebrity (and every other cruise line.)

Did you voluntarily pay in full for your cruise or just place a deposit? I know that in some countries payment in full is due at booking but is generally not the standard here in the states.

I hope your TA also recommended that you book your own air, purchase insurance - check out Insuremytrip.com (definitely do not purchase it from the cruise line), and you make plans to arrive in your port of embarkation at least a day prior to your cruise. Check out the stickys for clearer explanations of the above recommendations.

Join the Roll Call for your sailing and start the research of your ports on the Destinations/Ports of Call boards. Enjoy planning your cruise.

Wow, what great information you folks have for us newbys. (very much appreciated:p). The cabin I'm referring to is Celebrity Infinity #9084. This trip goes Dec. 5th to 19th ..Miami FL to Valparaiso Chile. Yes, it's just the deposit I've paid for at this time, and yes the TA had me buy insurance at $136.00 pp thru their office. My husband and I both enjoy the morning sun and were hoping the cabin would give us morning sunshinefor our first cup of coffeee .. however, I guess we could find sunshine somewhere on the the ship.

The trip includes airfare (is that not a good thing?), so that was taken care of by TA, she said she thought we may have to arrive a day early...

Roll Call ?... I'll have to go looking for that.

Desert_Dweller,

You will get plenty of sunshine, and there is no better place to start your day than your balcony.

The only issue you may have is noise from the pool deck when the crew is aligning the chaises. It is not horrible by any means. If cabins are available the same distance aft of the stairs and elevators they will be a little quieter. If there are cabins available your TA should have no trouble making the switch.

The reason most of us recommend booking air independently is cruise air is comparable to consolidator air. You may be booked with any number of connections and are at the bottom of the totem pole if something should go astray. Celebrity does offer air deviations for a fee but it may be more than booking your own fare. This "service" allows you to pick your flights and arrival day but it is still considered a consolidator ticket. Go to a site like Kayak.com and plug in your home airport(s) and your destination. You will see all of the options available. Make sure you leave adequate time for connections and also be aware that airlines may change your flight times or equipment at any time. Also leave adequate time for your connection when you arrive back in the states. Depending on the airport I generally schedule 3 hours for Customs and connections for the final flight home. I have needed every bit of that in places like Dallas, New York, and Atlanta.

If at all possible do plan on arriving at least one day prior to your cruise. Hopefully the weather will be better in December 2010 than it was in 2009 but far too many have missed their ships in the last several months. We returned to Florida from a cruise on Dec.6th and it was very cold there and snowing by the time we got home.

The price of your insurance seems a little low to me for such a long cruise.

The Roll Call boards provide an opportunity for your fellow passengers to communicate. Go to the Roll Call, click on Celebrity, then on Infinity and find the date for your sailing. Join in as everyone prepares for the cruise.

If you have more questions please ask.

Well, she didn't change the room for us. I asked twice by email.. didn't even get a reply. Then yesterday, I received all of our confirmation information with cabin 9084. Oh well, we won't let that damppend our spirits, we'll just move on.

I, too, was thinking the insurance was a little low... when I asked the TA, she suggestioned I call the insurance co. direct for a quote. Insurance company said "we don't give quotes" that's up to your TA, and it depends on the cost of your trip. "Whadda I know".. I just said, I'd call the TA back and that's what she said the cost would be. :cool:??

Tried to set up with a Connections party (I see 6 others already registered). However, it seems I haven't done something right , as it says I cannot register as yet... Would appear full payment might be in order where as our deposit was all that was required with TA at the time of booking.. full payment not required 'til August. Would it appear these other folks have paid in full already? (I hate being a newby!!) All of your help is appreciated, thanks again for caring and sharing.

Please don't stress about any issues you have. They will all get resolved. When we took our first cruise, probably before you were born, I never thought my DH would ever get on a ship again. Thankfully I was wrong. But it took us time to learn the ropes. You will have a wonderful cruise on a wonderful ship to wonderful sites. Remember we were all Newbies at least once.

9084 is not a bad cabin at all. Some are sensitive to the oft mentioned chair scraping noises early in the morning and complain here on CC. Once in a while we would notice it but we never let it spoil a cruise.

Place yourself in the driver's seat with your TA. If he or she is not responsive to your requests you can ask for a supervisor or take your business elsewhere. Sometimes working with an on line TA is difficult for a new cruiser. Like everything else there are good ones, adequate ones, terrific ones....and, every now and then, ones you would never use again.

Do you have your insurance policy? If not, get it. Take a look at it carefully. Unfortunately you will not get a refund but you may need to add another form of insurance or enhance the present policy to cover what could be missing. Take a look at Insuremytrip.com. It is a comparative site for many travel policies and you can compare it to what you already have. I have a stinking suspicion your TA got you the Celebrity policy which does not do too much for the passenger. Cruise line travel insurance can be less expensive but it does not always provide the best coverage.

Sometimes the Celebrity (hereafter known as X) web site is a little funky. It may be that or they may not have set up the link for your cruise's party yet. I am sure you have already registered on the X's site and set up your account. Signing up for the party has nothing to do with full payment.

The X is easily explained. Celebrity Cruise Lines was originally the Greek Line, Chandris. The X was their logo and every Celebrity ship is still identified by it's markings. It's faster and easier to use the X than to type out Celebrity Cruise Lines for us lazy folks.

Don't forget we are here when you need us and members of your Roll Call can be exceedingly helpful.

Archived