Best way to resolve OBC problems after the cruise?

highbridge5

We booked our trip through a group booking with AAA which promised some OBC for each room as part of the promotion/booking.

Being a first-time cruiser, I did not know that the OBC should show up the first day. When I did not see it, I just assumed that it would be on the bill the last night. I was wrong. By the time I inquired on the ship on debarkation day, it was too late for the ship to do anything. They recommended contacting Carnival when I got home.

I contacted my TA the day I got back about it (from the car on the way home in fact) and she said that they were aware of the problem. They had discovered it a couple days after the ship left (while we were still on our trip). It is now 3 weeks later and I still have no answers.

Has anyone had issues with uncredited OBC and had to deal with it after you have returned from your cruise? What should I do now?

What I have done so far:

- made one phone call and sent 3 e-mails to my TA inquiring about the problem. The most recent e-mail was sent on Friday 2/12.

- Today (2/15) I used the "Contact Us" link at the AAA travel website to send an inquiry

- Today (2/15) I used the "Contact Us" link at the Carnival website to send an inquiry

Anything else? Other ideas? In your experience, where do problems like this come from - a miscommunication between Carnival and the TA, a plain old Carnival problem, a plain old travel agent problem?

I contacted my TA the day I got back about it (from the car on the way home in fact) and she said that they were aware of the problem. They had discovered it a couple days after the ship left (while we were still on our trip). It is now 3 weeks later and I still have no answers.

When did you last speak with your TA? Sounds like the issue is with them.

How much was the OBC? i

When did you last speak with your TA? Sounds like the issue is with them.

How much was the OBC? i

We had 3 cabins, 2 balcony cabins with $100 each (total $200) and an interior with $25. So, we're out $225 for the 7 of us.

I think they knew about it because someone wiser than I was on the same ship on the same group rate and noticed it was not posted to their account and went to customer service. The CS desk told me that if they know about it early in the cruise, they can contact the Carnival corporate office to research it and often can get it resolved by the end of the cruise.

I just did not know any better.

I last sent email to my TA on Friday afternoon. I have not heard back from her. It is a holiday today and it is still early in the day.

I've been sending e-mail once a week or so. After last week's e-mail, she called me back and told me that she did not have an answer and was embarassed that they did not have an answer for me yet.

I don't know what to think. I paid AAA. My TA says that AAA paid Carnival. I don't know how "group" bookings work.

We booked our trip through a group booking with AAA which promised some OBC for each room as part of the promotion/booking.

Being a first-time cruiser, I did not know that the OBC should show up the first day. When I did not see it, I just assumed that it would be on the bill the last night. I was wrong. By the time I inquired on the ship on debarkation day, it was too late for the ship to do anything. They recommended contacting Carnival when I got home.

Has anyone had issues with uncredited OBC and had to deal with it after you have returned from your cruise? What should I do now?

What I have done so far:

- made one phone call and sent 3 e-mails to my TA inquiring about the problem. The most recent e-mail was sent on Friday 2/12.

- Today (2/15) I used the "Contact Us" link at the AAA travel website to send an inquiry

- Today (2/15) I used the "Contact Us" link at the Carnival website to send an inquiry

Anything else? Other ideas? In your experience, where do problems like this come from - a miscommunication between Carnival and the TA, a plain old Carnival problem, a plain old travel agent problem?

The "contact Us" links are usually pretty much a waste of time.

Contacting Carnival is going to be pretty ineffective as (1) they only deal with the booking agent and (2) it looks like providing the OBC was the TA's responsibility.

I'm thinking you need some personal contact with AAA, until the point where they indicate that they provided the OBC info to Carnival, but even then as your TA it's their responsibility to resolve TA/Cruiseline issues with Carnival.

ken

Considering you paid AAA you need to contact them. Carnival is one of the WORST in customer relations especially AFTER your cruise. I had a similar situation happen to me but I booked my cruise through Carnival direct. I spoke with the people onboard (useless) since they didn't book it. I went to customer relations (uselss). Customer Relations told me that the PVP was incorrect and I should not have received the OBC. So I went back to my PVP and she assured me she would take care of it. It took even her alot of back and forth with her management. Come to find out my PVP was correct in giving me the OBC and FINALLY over a week of daily contact back and forth I received my credit.

Had I not fought and pushed the issue no credit would have been received. This is why I book through that PVP from now on. She fought for me because it was what she told me the offer was and she made sure I received it.

If I understood better the nature of these group rate bookings, it would be easier to find the right person. Since the OBC comes out of Carnival's pocket, I am assuming that the OBC is just a pass-through that helps sell rooms.

I wonder if the problem is a disagreement between AAA and Carnival as to whether the rooms in the group booking were included in any OBC incentive program.

I have three e-mail's (one for each cabin) from AAA stating that the cabin comes with the OBC. I was required to reply to the e-mail with my approval for the booking. AAA sold me the rooms with the OBC included.

Anyone know the name of any of those "consumer affairs" reporters/columnists that people write to with stuff like this and sometimes they are able to call phone numbers that the rest of us don't have access to?

When you are supposed to have OBC will it say online somewhere how much you have??? Not that I have much, I was just looking online to see how much it is and couldn't find anything on the Carnival website.

I don't have any Carnival paperwork that says anything about an OBC or an OBC amount. This might be a symptom of my problem or might be normal. This was my first cruise so I have no idea if the OBC normally appears on your reservation pages on the Carnival web site or not.

hb5

If I understood better the nature of these group rate bookings, it would be easier to find the right person. Since the OBC comes out of Carnival's pocket, I am assuming that the OBC is just a pass-through that helps sell rooms.

I wonder if the problem is a disagreement between AAA and Carnival as to whether the rooms in the group booking were included in any OBC incentive program.

I have three e-mail's (one for each cabin) from AAA stating that the cabin comes with the OBC. I was required to reply to the e-mail with my approval for the booking. AAA sold me the rooms with the OBC included.

Anyone know the name of any of those "consumer affairs" reporters/columnists that people write to with stuff like this and sometimes they are able to call phone numbers that the rest of us don't have access to?

My advice is to stop emailing, that can be easily ignored.

Im assuming this is a local agency.Call or better yet, drive down and talk to her, she will do something to either resolve it to keep your business or to get rid of you. I know people like the paper trail of emails, but it really slows down the resolution process.

Find out exactly what the "problem" they became aware of and what they are doing to rectify it. You really have to be proactive, or they will keep stalling.

Good Luck

I don't have any Carnival paperwork that says anything about an OBC or an OBC amount. This might be a symptom of my problem or might be normal. This was my first cruise so I have no idea if the OBC normally appears on your reservation pages on the Carnival web site or not.

hb5

Yes, it should always show up in your cruise docs prior to sailing.

Your TA, AAA earned comm. on your booking. Don't hesitate to present the problem to them. Service before and after your cruise should be expected .

If the OBC came out of their comm. , it would not have shown up on any documentation , just your Onboard Acct.

If the OBC came from the cruise line (usually part of a Group amenity) then it would have been on your pre cruise documents.

Either way , AAA promised the OBC, let them chase it down for you.;)

My TA seems to be making an honest effort.

She says:

Hi

I tried to leave a message but got cut off. The storms really created havoc and I have not been able to call or email anyone last week.

My supervisor is out today. I forwarded your emails and fax again to the manager and supervisor. Hopefully something will happen this week.

My apologies. I am so sorry this happened to you as you are a great customer. I will keep trying and let you know as soon as I hear something.

I cannot even get through to them either. Not sure what is going on. I will keep you posted.

At some point, I'll have to start calling on a naggingly regular basis :D. I like e-mail because it does leave a paper trail that phone calls do not. But, as a poster just said, it is easier to ignore e-mail than a ringing phone.

hb5

Your TA, AAA earned comm. on your booking. Don't hesitate to present the problem to them. Service before and after your cruise should be expected .

If the OBC came out of their comm. , it would not have shown up on any documentation , just your Onboard Acct.

If the OBC came from the cruise line (usually part of a Group amenity) then it would have been on your pre cruise documents.

Either way , AAA promised the OBC, let them chase it down for you.;)

Thank you. If only I had known to look for it on my paperwork....

It sounds like I am on the right track - keeping after AAA to follow up.

hb5

My TA has told me that everything has been resolved and that I should be receiving a check within the next week or so. It sounds like the check will be coming from AAA but the money is coming from Carnival to AAA and AAA will cut the checks. I should have it by March 1st.

There appears to have been some miscommunication between AAA and Carnival as to who was responsible for setting up the OBC for the customers booked in the group and as a result no one set it up.

hb5

Really glad to see that your TA stepped up and got this resolved for you. I'd hang on to that TA.

Glad it was resolved appropriately.

Carole

I'm not a travel agent, nor do I use travel agents but this comment struck me as odd. Why would this person want to KEEP a travel agent who was so behind on their job that they did not confirm that the OBC was in place for this customer BEFORE she sailed? It seems to me that if the OP had to put THIS much effort into getting something that she SHOULD have had before she cruised, in fact, that is a very valid reason to tell that TA to take a hike!!! A good travel agent would have confirmed, and seen in writing from Carnival that any perk coming to their customer was in place prior to that customer sailing. And while they should do it for all their customers, MOST ESPECIALLY a new cruiser, who wouldn't necessarily know to ask the right questions. IMHO, this travel agent is awful and I would send her hiking!

Archived