Island - cruise card

cruisinlawn

On all of our cruises we kept our cruise card upon disembarkation. However, there have been posts in the past where passengers on certain voyages were required to turn their cruise cards in at the end of the cruise; doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for collecting the cards since you have to swipe them to get off the ship.

at debarkation are they collecting your sail/sign card or allowing you to keep? Thanks. k

We have been able to keep all of ours and we are elite. I have seen postings where people have them collected but there is no common thread as to why they were.

Sometimes it might be because their computer is down at disembarkation and they need to make sure everyone gets off.

We had ours confiscated when leaving the Dawn Princess in San Francisco in 2008 but that was the one & only time it happened. We were among the first walkoffs and it took me by surprise after I had punched out otherwise I would have said we packed them in our luggage. Someone posted that it was port security that gave the order to do so and not Princess. Ever since that one time I never approach the exit door by myself & wait to see if there are collecting the cards as I also have all my old cruise cards except the one trip.

At one time the lettering used to be printed right oin the plastic card itself. Now, the cards are basic blue, Gold, Platinum and Black but the letter is done by a heat sealed plastic coating with white lettering over the plastic card itself.

I believe that the new type card is not conducive to severe temperature changes. On our 30 day across the Pacific on Star, I had to have my card replaced several times as the plastic would start to come off and jam in the stateroom door locks. Ah well Karolina and Kayleigh at Passenger Services always knew what I was looking for when I lined up, card in hand.

Ciao for now!!!

• 3 years later...
Interesting experiences. Wonder what they would do if you refused to hand it over? Not let you off the ship? :rolleyes:

Wishful thinking I'm sure.

No such luck; I tried! I sailed on the Dawn back in 2008 when she was going through her silly "confiscate the cruise cards" phase and I just tucked mine in my back pocket. When I got to the head of the line, I told the security guy at the boing-boing machine that I had lost it/forgotten it in my cabin that morning, prepared to "find" it if it seemed like I would be headed for the brig. He just looked up my name on his machine to make sure I matched my photo and sent me on my way.

No such luck; I tried! I sailed on the Dawn back in 2008 when she was going through her silly "confiscate the cruise cards" phase and I just tucked mine in my back pocket. When I got to the head of the line, I told the security guy at the boing-boing machine that I had lost it/forgotten it in my cabin that morning, prepared to "find" it if it seemed like I would be headed for the brig. He just looked up my name on his machine to make sure I matched my photo and sent me on my way.

I suppose heading for the brig would not be the way one would want to stay on the ship.

Regardless, you did get to keep the card!

Archived