sooo confused....which zipline

sandybeach

i want the best zipline experience possible. this will probably be the only time in my life i will do this...i was looking at pirates of the carr. extreme zipline..i read a terrible review. i want to go with a reputable company that gives the best thrill. any help would be appreciated!

i want the best zipline experience possible. this will probably be the only time in my life i will do this...i was looking at pirates of the carr. extreme zipline..i read a terrible review. i want to go with a reputable company that gives the best thrill. any help would be appreciated!

South Shore Canopy has a great nearly 2 miles worth of zip lines over deep ravines. Guides were excellent and worked to insure safety. If you're on a Carnival or Princess or HAL ship and are docking at Mahogany Bay, you may want to try Clip N Zip. It's right there at the pier. They go up the hillside and transverse the come down. Views coming down will be spectacular. Plus they're relatively cheap since you don't need to take a taxi or tour to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Crewsweeper: It seems you know alot about ziplining on Roatan. I'm hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying a few things for me:

1. My husband and teenagers want to zipline on Roatan. They want a high, long, extreme course. I am concerned about safety on Pirates, due to only one line. Would South Shore be a safer bet? Is it also an extreme course like Pirates? What would you recommend?

2. Also, no way am I going to Zip line, but I would like to observe and then go to Foster's beach afterwards with them. Do you know if I can observe at any of the facilities in Roatan?

Thanks so much for any info!

Millerhead,

I know you did not specifically ask me the zipline questions, but I might have some advice to give you. My husband and I and our two teenagers are going on a cruise in two weeks and are going to do the ziplining in Roatan. I have done a ton of research on these boards before making our reservations. We decided on booking through Island Marketing and doing the SouthShore zipline and West Bay beach afterwards. We wanted to have a thrilling zipline but also wanted the double cables for safety. The cost is only $52 each and that includes transportation, ziplining and beach. They did have the option of being an observer for $20. Hope this helps some.

South Shore Canopy has a great nearly 2 miles worth of zip lines over deep ravines. Guides were excellent and worked to insure safety. If you're on a Carnival or Princess or HAL ship and are docking at Mahogany Bay, you may want to try Clip N Zip. It's right there at the pier. They go up the hillside and transverse the come down. Views coming down will be spectacular. Plus they're relatively cheap since you don't need to take a taxi or tour to get there.

thanks so much for the reply.im going with south shore!

Millerhead,

I know you did not specifically ask me the zipline questions, but I might have some advice to give you. My husband and I and our two teenagers are going on a cruise in two weeks and are going to do the ziplining in Roatan. I have done a ton of research on these boards before making our reservations. We decided on booking through Island Marketing and doing the SouthShore zipline and West Bay beach afterwards. We wanted to have a thrilling zipline but also wanted the double cables for safety. The cost is only $52 each and that includes transportation, ziplining and beach. They did have the option of being an observer for $20. Hope this helps some.

Thanks for the input! I'll take all the advice I can get! Have a great trip, and please let us know when you get back about the South Shore zip lining!! I'm especially curious to know if you think it's "extreme" or not.

Thanks!

Just checked out their website...it looks in the pictures at least that Pirates of Caribbean ziplines are double cable. It's not one above the other, but there are nonetheless 2 cables, no? :confused:

Crewsweeper: It seems you know alot about ziplining on Roatan. I'm hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying a few things for me:

1. My husband and teenagers want to zipline on Roatan. They want a high, long, extreme course. I am concerned about safety on Pirates, due to only one line. Would South Shore be a safer bet? Is it also an extreme course like Pirates? What would you recommend?

2. Also, no way am I going to Zip line, but I would like to observe and then go to Foster's beach afterwards with them. Do you know if I can observe at any of the facilities in Roatan?

Thanks so much for any info!

Millerhead,

We also went through Island Marketing & did the South Shore Canopy lines. I am scared to death of heights, and even I did this. Of course, I went with a guide. If you choose not to do this you will be very disappointed with yourself. It is extremely safe, and absolutely beautiful. Plus, when we were done they took us to a private island that opened up that day. It was awesome there was about 20 people at that beach 11 of them was from our group. The food was good and cheap!

Millerhead,

We also went through Island Marketing & did the South Shore Canopy lines. I am scared to death of heights, and even I did this. Of course, I went with a guide. If you choose not to do this you will be very disappointed with yourself. It is extremely safe, and absolutely beautiful. Plus, when we were done they took us to a private island that opened up that day. It was awesome there was about 20 people at that beach 11 of them was from our group. The food was good and cheap!

We've signed up for the Island Marketing Zip and Dip tour. They said the dip portion was at Foster's Beach Club. Sounds like you went to another place. Did they give you a choice and if you snorkeled, how was it?

Big fan of South Shore. We did our first zip line in Costa Rica back when they were pretty rare. South Shore has the height, distance and safety features that really make it fun. cool enough for the teens also. ;-)

Some photos here if you want a more intimate view.

http://www.ralphmawyerphotography.com/Travel/Caribbean/Cruise-Western-Caribbean-Nov/2197673_X977R#114493392_fhcxH

Signed up for it again via Island Marketing on 4 Apr sailing of the Voyager...with snorkling after they drop us off at Fosters. Minor bit of info, while they advertise two hours of snorkling after the zip, you can stay as long as you want as they have shuttles back to the boat every hour.

Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone confirm info about Island Marketing Roatan Canopy Zip Line Tour at Roatan?...

1. How many guides accompany each group - is it one goes ahead and one following? That has been our safest experience.

2. Is the trip they offer the South Shore? I am not seeing it actually specify on their website.

3. For Carnival docked at Mahogany Bay, the transportation is included in the price?

I am not seeing some of the other trips you guys mentioned like the "Zip and Dip", maybe it is the same as the one I am looking at since it goes to the beach afterwards.

Thanks so much.

If you go to the Island Marketing website, you can do the live chat and they will answer all of your questions. When you are finished, you'll can get a printed copy of the Q&A. They can also check availability and book it for you right then if you want, or tell you how to book later.

Can someone confirm info about Island Marketing Roatan Canopy Zip Line Tour at Roatan?...

1. How many guides accompany each group - is it one goes ahead and one following? That has been our safest experience.

2. Is the trip they offer the South Shore? I am not seeing it actually specify on their website.

3. For Carnival docked at Mahogany Bay, the transportation is included in the price?

I am not seeing some of the other trips you guys mentioned like the "Zip and Dip", maybe it is the same as the one I am looking at since it goes to the beach afterwards.

Thanks so much.

1. Two guides and they can take pictures with your camera.

2. yes

3.yes

We had a great time there last week.

Something else to keep in mind....Clip and Zip does not allow you to use your own camera but you can purchase their video of your zip! How nice. I don't know how firm they are about this policy but it is what their website says. Does anyone have experience with this?

• 4 weeks later...

we were booked with south shores.we met our guide...drove there...got suited up...we were the next ones to go....suddenly they halted everything and were running around like a major emergency was happening.we thought someone fell.they were very vague.in the end they said one of the lines went slack and it would take a couple of hours to repair...people were stranded on the platforms..i dont know how it worked out for them.the company refunded our money without a problem.we went back to the ship area where mahogany beach is. that is a fantastic area. i have to say the zipline looked awesome. it was disappointing...but yet i dont know if i would try to do it again. my husband works with cables like that and said it was not assembled correctly.

Something else to keep in mind....Clip and Zip does not allow you to use your own camera but you can purchase their video of your zip! How nice. I don't know how firm they are about this policy but it is what their website says. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have been in contact with Clip N Zip about the line on their site: "For safety reasons, cameras (video or still) are not permitted on the tour, but photos and souvenirs are available for sale at the main office."

The response I received from the operator Erick was (summarized):

You can bring your camera along with you , you just cant film or take pictures while you are actually zipping (need your hands for balance and braking). When you are on the platform you can take as many photos as you like. (We are not responsible if any cameras are damaged or broken).

Prices of printed photos $10

Photos on a C.D. $10-$20 depending on the amount of people. Usually 1 person has between 6-10 photos on the C.D.

Our guides will be happy to take your photos while you zip.

Archived