Playtime for Under 2's

Penguiiin

We are going on our second cruise. First cruise granddaughter was 6months so she just sat in her seat and was eaisly entertained. This time she will be 20 months.

So she is too young for Camp Carnival. But I have read that they have mommy and me playtime. Can anyone tell me about this?

I've also read on here that a good place to let little ones run off some energy is in the dance club areas during the daytime. Any other tips?

We plan to take our inflatable pool again. It really wasnt much trouble at all. And I did not feel like we were inconviencing anybody. We put it between our 2 chairs on the deck kinda back in the shade. Made sure we were not in the walking path. Got a "beer" bucket from the bar. 2 scoops of water from the main pool and she was set to splash. When we were finished we emptied the little pool in the shower drain by the main pool. Our little pool did double duty as a portable bath in the shower as well. Now I know that there are lots of opinions about the use of an inflatable pool on the pool deck. And everyone is entitled to their opinion but I wanted to add that our family is respectful of others and if the pool deck were especially crowded we would not use our little pool and inconvience others ..... the way I see it ... we are up long before the "party crowd" crawls out of bed and we are back in for nap when the "party crowd" is cracking an eye so it works out for both. FYI... we wont be putting her in the wading pool with her swim diapers or no diaper even though my "vacation planner" with carnival told us that it was acceptable in the children's wading pool to do so. Poop is unpredictable and I wouldnt want to spoil anybody elses vacation. One of my children was potty trained at 18 months so it is possible that she could be potty trained by the time we go but I'm not planning on it.

We didnt use a crib last time. The baby just slept in the bed with us. But I think she will do better with a crib this time. We are on the Carnival Elation. Are they the metal cribs or pack and play type?

I think dinner is under control. We eat out with her alot. She is messy but can sit with us for a least an hour meal without getting fussy and if she does one of us will politley exit with her. I usually tip extra when we go out because I know there is extra clean up required at our area. Messy is just part of learning to self feed.

Shout out to cruisinmama06...... you seem to be in the know about cruisin with kids.....

One last thing to add. This is our second cruise as I have said. I dont know why we had never cruised before. I think cruising is the best vacation money we ever spent. The last time I priced a condo on the beach for a week- it was roughly $1500 for the condo alone- our cruise for 10 people is not much more than that and we get so much more. This is our second time on Carnival but I am anxious to try RCCL and Disney, especially Disney since Disney is my first most favorite vacation spot.

We are cruisin in October to the western carribean. Barring hurricanes... how is the weather this time of year?

Oh, and I am formerly known as "Sparkie" I forgot my password and tried to reset but when it asked me to name a color beginning with the letter "y" I typed in YELLOW.... but was told multiple times that the answer was incorrect???? Who knew there was another color beginning with the letter "y"....

Edited by Penguiiin

Thanks for the shout out...LOL :D

Here is the info for the Under 2's, there is actually some babysitting times available where mommy doesn't have to be there.

Hours on Sea Days

"Family Play Time" is scheduled from 12:00pm to 2:00pm (or 1:00pm to 3:00pm).

Only parents and their Under-2 child are permitted in the playroom to use the facilities that we have to offer in Camp Carnival. Parents have the option of leaving their child in the care of the Youth Counselors.

Note: There is a $6.00 per hour charge for this service (see “Babysitting”).

Hours on Port Days

Care for children under-2 is considered "Babysitting". Note: There is a $6.00 per hour charge for this service (see "Babysitting").

*On port day mornings, care for children under-2 begins from port arrival until 12:00 noon (or until 5:00pm for ships arriving in port after noon time).

Evenings

Babysitting is provided for children under-2, nightly, from 10:00pm to 3:00am. Note: There is a $6.00 per hour charge for this service (see "Babysitting").

*Babysitting: From 10:00pm-3:00am each evening of the cruise.

Edited by crusinmama06

Thanks so much for the reply. I learn so much from reading these boards.

I think it makes for a better vacation to have some sort of plan and to know what is available before you go. That way your are not overwhelmed and end up just spinning in circles trying to decide what to do.

Since we dont cruise until October. I'm sure i'll have more questions. I'm researching excursions at present. Only 230 more days until my cruise!!!! I cant wait!!! I'm so sick of winter.

I'm just throwing my two cents in here.....I would definitely NOT feel guilty about bringing the small inflatable pool/bath. We plan to do this. We are paying a fair amount for our 22 month old to be with us and since she is not allowed in the pool I think it fine to bring it along - especially if you are keeping it out of everyone else's way. I wouldn't think twice about it.

During that 12-2 time, are we allowed to take our two year old in to play or is it off limits for anyone over 2?

Under 2's only, from what I understand. They actually shut down Camp Carnival during that time period. So they wouldn't accept over 2's because they are actually closed to Over 2's at that time.

Of course, I say that, but all it takes is one camp counselor to say "Come on in and join us" ;)

We are on the Carnival Elation. Are they the metal cribs or pack and play type?

The cribs are metal - just a bit smaller than what you would have at home and our 11 month old was quite comfortable in it. The mattress is quite a bit thinner so a pack n' play sheet fits perfectly - you'll want to bring your own sheet as they did not provide any special bedding for the cribs. I've tried to attach a photo (as before our cruise I was looking for a pic of the Carnival cribs on CC and couldn't find one :) ). We had an oceanview room for 2 adults and 2 kids, so to give us a bit more space in our cabin, we put it at the foot of our bed - it was a tight squeeze but we managed to fit it in between the bed and the wall/door to the adjoining room (which we didn't need).

IMG_0333.jpg.4c7f8e81946af8118820cffd930485b5.jpg

We are cruising with our infant son for the first time this year, so I don't have much for advice there, but 3 of our past cruises have been in the September/October timeframe. We love cruising that time of year, since hurricane season seems to drive the price down and the temperatures seem to be great for cruising.

We've been fortunate enough to never have dealt with a hurricane during our cruise, but definitely had to deal with the aftermath (skipped Grand Cayman and had to change departure ports from Port Canaveral to Miami after Hurricane Ivan struck in 2004).

So, as long as you are ok with the possibility of a routing change, the October date should be great.

This was some great information. We are cruising the Conquest in March with DSs (1 y/o and 4 y/o). We are also following the same guidelines for the pool area. Shaded out of the way for our water loving baby to have some splash time. I'm sure the 4 y/o will wanna join in also. One Question though - with a 1 y/o and 4 y/o do you think we could all have family time in the Camp together?

Edited by unatheo

I just got off the Carnival Miracle last week and wanted to say that I brought the inflatable pool along for my water loving, 15 month old son and he wanted nothing to do with it. We filled it and he crouched down and splashed his hand in it three times and then wanted to just walk around the pool area and the deck above and meet people. My kid really loves water so I was surprised but he seemed to have the most fun just meeting people and making sure they all acknowledged him and gave him attention. So, if your kid is a busy body they might not want to sit down in a little pool when they can be in the middle of the action instead.

Oh, and we went to the under 2 play time in Camp Carnival but no other kids showed up when we went. We still played a bit but it would have been nice for there to be a few more kids. And (poster above) I think they'd let you in with your 2 and 4 year old since you're one family.

I thought as much but you know how some people get all hung up on "The Rules". The same people that will drive 55 on the way to the hospital for a heart attack.

Agreed! And it all depends on the counselor you run into on that ship on that day. ;) We've had some that literally we've had to count the seconds to drop off time "Can I sign in my daughter?" -- No, we open at 7. "What time is it?" It's 6:59 - we open at 7. :cool:

So as I tell everyone. Try it. Then make sure you come back here and let us know what happens. :D:D:D

Edited by crusinmama06

Thanks for the crib pictures and the October weather info.

I'm hoping for no major weather events but know they are a possibility. So we are going to book excursions through the cruise line this time. I was worried if we got diverted to another port if I had booked anything independently I would lose my money. I am making the assumption that if we have to change ports any excursions I would have booked via the cruise line would be rescheduled, rebooked, refunded or an OBC given.

No worries about the inflatable pool. You are right. I am paying full price for our infant to travel and she should have access to activities. I was feeling dissappointed that the Elation would not have the Waterworks but according to the carnival website, diapered children are not allowed in the Waterworks area. I'm sure its expensive but I think Carnival should consider installing the needed filtration system to provide water activities to the little ones. There are only 2 ships in the Royal Carribean line that offer such water activities and then you have Disney. Disney has family cruising (at least with small children) perfected. Carnival should take notice if it wants to compete in the family cruising market.

Thanks for the crib pictures and the October weather info..
You're very welcome.

I'm sure its expensive but I think Carnival should consider installing the needed filtration system to provide water activities to the little ones. There are only 2 ships in the Royal Carribean line that offer such water activities and then you have Disney. Disney has family cruising (at least with small children) perfected. Carnival should take notice if it wants to compete in the family cruising market

I couldn't agree more - overall I'd rate our "Carnival with kids" experience as good (maybe even very good), but definitely not outstanding. That's why we're in the process of booking Disney for next year :D. At 11 months, our little one didn't really notice or mind not being able to go in the pools, though she really loved the beaches, and I'm sure by the time we cruise next year when she's 2, there'll be no holding her back - she already thinks she can do everything her 5 year old sister can do!!:rolleyes:

I was feeling dissappointed that the Elation would not have the Waterworks but according to the carnival website, diapered children are not allowed in the Waterworks area. I'm sure its expensive but I think Carnival should consider installing the needed filtration system to provide water activities to the little ones. .

They aren't allowed in the splash zone? I thought they were since it isn't a pool but goes right down the drain.

They aren't allowed in the splash zone? I thought they were since it isn't a pool but goes right down the drain.

I read this information here on the boards. Then I emailed Carnival and asked if children in swim diapers could use the Waterworks and was told no and was quoted the same Public Health regulation for the pools.

I read this information here on the boards. Then I emailed Carnival and asked if children in swim diapers could use the Waterworks and was told no and was quoted the same Public Health regulation for the pools.

Penguin, you are right -from Carnival's own site....

Using the Pool / Spray Park / WaterWorks

• Due to United States Public Health (USPH) Regulations, we do not allow children in diapers, in swimming diapers or those not toilet-trained in the pools/WaterWorks/spray parks.

No, it's not a pool, but the water goes down the drain, gets recirculated, and gets sprayed right back out into the splash zone. That's why it's still restricted.

Thanks for the crib pictures and the October weather info.

I'm hoping for no major weather events but know they are a possibility. So we are going to book excursions through the cruise line this time. I was worried if we got diverted to another port if I had booked anything independently I would lose my money. I am making the assumption that if we have to change ports any excursions I would have booked via the cruise line would be rescheduled, rebooked, refunded or an OBC given.

No worries about the inflatable pool. You are right. I am paying full price for our infant to travel and she should have access to activities. I was feeling dissappointed that the Elation would not have the Waterworks but according to the carnival website, diapered children are not allowed in the Waterworks area. I'm sure its expensive but I think Carnival should consider installing the needed filtration system to provide water activities to the little ones. There are only 2 ships in the Royal Carribean line that offer such water activities and then you have Disney. Disney has family cruising (at least with small children) perfected. Carnival should take notice if it wants to compete in the family cruising market.

Yes, you are paying for her and she will have access to many cruise line activities/facilities, but not all of them. The thing is that none of us have access to everything onboard.

Please don't misunderstand me though. I'm not unsympathetic. Our DD was a "fish" from the time she learned that water existed as a source of fun. Our 15-month old DGD looks to be the same. But she won't be allowed into most cruise ship pools for a while yet. We're okay with that because we know that it's for the health and safety of everyone onboard, even her. We also know that the specialized filtration system required needed to retrofit many children's pools and the splash zones would be, as you say, expensive because cruise ship pools and pool systems are not like those on land. Perhaps some of the cruise lines will retrofit the splash zones over time. That would be nice. I wouldn't expect them to retrofit the regular pools though, for multiple reasons. One is that they are so small already that I can see really little ones in flotation gear being "squished" by all the older kids, who often don't pay attention to those around them. Another is that the cruise line would have to increase their liability insurance, probably quite a bit, because even though they say "swim at your own risk," their insurers would insist that they cover all contingencies, including parents who would sue if their toddler was injured in any way (regardless of reason).

I'm certain that our DGD will not be thrilled when she discovers there are pools onboard and that she won't be allowed in them just yet. But she is learning that "no" (her currently least favorite word--like most toddlers) is something she has to live with sometimes. We might bring a small inflatable pool for the balcony. As long as the cruise line allows it, there's not reason not to bring a small inflatable pool to use with a few inches of water in an out of the way spot (definitely in the shade). If you have beach stops planned, you will definitely want to look at any resorts/hotels who offer day packages or similar. That way, you can all have additional water time together.

Also, RCI actually has four ships (soon to be five) with baby splash zones. The Freedom class (Freedom, Liberty, and Independence) and Oasis class. Not that many, I know, but if you're planning another cruise soon, you might want to look at the Freedom class because the Oasis (as the "latest, greatest, largest") has the new-ship fares, but the Freedom class fares have gone down. Might not hurt to look, as long as other aspects of the ships and itineraries appeal to you. I'd never suggest that anyone book a cruise solely because there was a baby splash zone or baby pool onboard, but we really like RCI for many other reasons.

beachchick

Edited by beachchick

Thanks beachchick.

I had forgotten about the Oasis- cause its too expensive for me- looks like a fabulous ship though.... I wouldnt really care where it goes, I wouldnt want to get off the boat.

Also forgot about the Independence- if I remember correctly, its itineary is in Europe- also out of my budget.

I apologize if I sounded "entitled". I didnt mean to. I am really not that kind of person. I just think it would be a great benefit if carnival could at least make the splash zones diaper friendly. Because I choose my cruise first based on departure port, secondly ship amenities, and thirdly on itineary.

But like you said .... there are other lines to choose from. I havent even been on this cruise yet and am already planning one for next october. We plan on doing a few days at Disney resort and I have requested a quote from Disney Cruise line but I think I will look at RCCL as well- infant fun, teenager fun, adult fun and cheaper than Disney.

Edited by Penguiiin

Penguiiin: You didn't sound entitled to me. I was just trying to put it in perspective. Sometimes parents (and grandparents) see only what their very young children aren't allowed to do and see it as a "punsishment" of some kind. I agree that it would be a benefit for parents and their youngster if the cruise lines retrofit some of the splash facilities and really small, shallow kids pools, but I'm not holding my breath and I don't expect it to happen. One thing I know is that on RCI, the baby splash pools may only be used by children in swim diapers. By that I mean that older children and children who are fully potty trained are not allowed in the Baby Splash Zone water. Makes sense I think because it's a small, very shallow pool that should be reserved for non-potty trained children. Plus, parents know that all children in their are in swim diapers, so the "risk" (even with the special filtration, no system is perfect) is known and limited.

Yeah, Oasis is really expensive right now. We have no interest, absolutely none, in cruising on her, but I know she'll be great for many others. We choose based on itinerary, ship/cruise line, and fare, but understand that others love the ship as a destination. Isn't it nice that there are options to suit everyone?

I think you're right about Independence. Definitely look at Freedom and Liberty, if they're in your budget and if they appeal to you. We don't look at Disney both because of the fares and because, while we are adults who never outgrew out enjoyment of Disney, we don't want "all Disney, all the time" on a cruise. OTOH, from what I know, the cabins are large, a few more things are included (e.g., soda), and Disney really "gets" that adults enjoy and deserve their own spaces just the same way that children enjoy and deserve theirs. But RCI is a great line, IMO, and has much to offer a wide variety of passengers. We love the Voyager class ships, which are the largest we prefer, and can't imagine that the Freedom class ships wouldn't be fantastic.

Have fun and enjoy your time together!

beachchick

Anyway, I truly didn't think you were acting entitled or snooty or anything negative.

Penguiiin: You didn't sound entitled to me. I was just trying to put it in perspective. Sometimes parents (and grandparents) see only what their very young children aren't allowed to do and see it as a "punsishment" of some kind. I agree that it would be a benefit for parents and their youngster if the cruise lines retrofit some of the splash facilities and really small, shallow kids pools, but I'm not holding my breath and I don't expect it to happen. One thing I know is that on RCI, the baby splash pools may only be used by children in swim diapers. By that I mean that older children and children who are fully potty trained are not allowed in the Baby Splash Zone water. Makes sense I think because it's a small, very shallow pool that should be reserved for non-potty trained children. Plus, parents know that all children in their are in swim diapers, so the "risk" (even with the special filtration, no system is perfect) is known and limited.

Yeah, Oasis is really expensive right now. We have no interest, absolutely none, in cruising on her, but I know she'll be great for many others. We choose based on itinerary, ship/cruise line, and fare, but understand that others love the ship as a destination. Isn't it nice that there are options to suit everyone?

I think you're right about Independence. Definitely look at Freedom and Liberty, if they're in your budget and if they appeal to you. We don't look at Disney both because of the fares and because, while we are adults who never outgrew out enjoyment of Disney, we don't want "all Disney, all the time" on a cruise. OTOH, from what I know, the cabins are large, a few more things are included (e.g., soda), and Disney really "gets" that adults enjoy and deserve their own spaces just the same way that children enjoy and deserve theirs. But RCI is a great line, IMO, and has much to offer a wide variety of passengers. We love the Voyager class ships, which are the largest we prefer, and can't imagine that the Freedom class ships wouldn't be fantastic.

Have fun and enjoy your time together!

beachchick

Anyway, I truly didn't think you were acting entitled or snooty or anything negative.

• 5 months later...
you sound like the kind of Mom I want to travel with! We are doing a reunion cruise next summer with a 15, 13, 9, 9, and 2 year olds, so you have been a big help to me!

Thanks.

Since I wrote this thread a lot has happened.

First we went on our first Disney cruise in April 2010. LOVED IT!!! Lucked up on a great deal one night. 5 people/ 2 rooms/ $1700.

Loved it so much that we came off the ship Disney Vacation Club members (disney's version of timeshare) and have another disney cruise booked for oct 2011.

And.... I'm going to be a grandmother again.

So we had to move our cruise up to August 19th... YIPPIE!

Our travel party should be interesting.

Me - the mom/grandmom (44)

Hubby - (46)

Mimi - my mom (62)

Daughter (14)

Son (21)

Daughter (18) and in utero traveler

Granddaughter (18 months)

Neice (16)

and 3 friends of my Daughter (19)

All total 11 people... I know.... CRAZY.... but we will have a table all to ourselves in the dining room. ;)

I get a lot of comments from family, friends, coworkers about taking my pregnant, single mother daughter on these vacations but this is how I see it...

First: Some things in life we can not choose and we learn to embrace them.

Second: I once had a conversation with God explaining that I was feeling empty and not sure of my purpose. My children were growing up and I didnt know what I was to do with my life. So God's response.... HE is "filling" my life with children again.

Third: No matter what she is still my daughter, and I love her - bad decisions and all. And soon I will have 2 beautiful granddaughters to love.

So we will be on the Elation, August 19th. And I will report back on the Under 2 playtime. If the babysitting is in the playroom, we will most likely pay the $6. I'm not sure how I feel about "in cabin" babysitting. But anyway, we plan on using the playroom facilities. We left her in the playroom on the Disney cruise for about 2 hours at night before dinner and she loved it. She needed the play time and as much as we all love her - we needed a baby break.

Edited by Penguiiin

I am glad you posted, I'll be on Carnival this month with a 20 month old as well. I am a little stressed that he won't have much to do since the pool is not an option and he's too young for Camp Carnival. His brother & sister will be enjoying CC as they are 3.5yo. I plan on my 20 month old to do the family fun time from 12-2 every day. I hope CC will allow my babysitter that we are bringing to go with him, does it have to be a parent or is a caregiver allowed?

Other than that, I plan on letting him see activities, walk around and hope that 6:15 dining is okay for him. I am also bringing his own pack n play as the crib dimensions seemed too tiny for him (he is a climber)!

In my experience with playtime for under 2's they will allow the older sibling in with you to all "play together". Also build a bear is usually from 1-2pm so the last half of under 2 time other kids doing build a bear may be in there. We always bring the blow-up bathtub and use it out of the way on deck as needed. There are so many other things to do/ see that my DS isnt that put off by not being able to swim. Most of the time the pools are so crowded that it isnt that enjoyable to begin with. We save the swimming for in ports at the beach.