Visiting Canterbury and the Cotswolds

Candy117

I will be disembarking Oceania's Regatta on June 30,2010 in Dover. I would love to see Leeds Castle and Sissinghurst Castle Gardens. Could anyone advise me the best way to get to these and approximate cost? I thought about staying in Dover but see from these boards that Canterbury might be a better choice- any good places to stay? Also, I would love to go to the Cotswolds for a few days. I would like to see some gardens(Painswick,Hidcote, Snowhill) and just drive around some towns. Being used to right-side driving I'm nervous about renting a car. Any ideas for how to best see this area? Thanks in advance for advise.

Perhaps you could train from Canterbury to some town near the Cotswolds, and then just drive locally. Perhaps that would be easier, avoiding the highways, and still allowing you the flexibility of driving through this beautiful part of the country (or making a chauffeur more affordable). Not sure about rail routes, which would dictate perhaps your destination town. Oxford comes to mind, or Stratford, but I'm sure one of our destination experts can advise.

The train will involve a cross-London change. Most trains from Canterbury go to Victoria; and I think that most trains to the Cotswolds go from Paddington. The other thing with this plan is to find a railway station from which you can rent a car. That is likely to restrict you to stations in the bigger towns.

I will be disembarking Oceania's Regatta on June 30,2010 in Dover. I would love to see Leeds Castle and Sissinghurst Castle Gardens. Could anyone advise me the best way to get to these and approximate cost? I thought about staying in Dover but see from these boards that Canterbury might be a better choice- any good places to stay? Also, I would love to go to the Cotswolds for a few days. I would like to see some gardens(Painswick,Hidcote, Snowhill) and just drive around some towns. Being used to right-side driving I'm nervous about renting a car. Any ideas for how to best see this area? Thanks in advance for advise.

We are using Tim Harrison http://www.tourthecotswolds.co.uk/

in July when after our Crown Princess British Isles Tour. He has a lovely B&B in the Cotswolds and has been marvelous in communications and advice. He has a wonderful sense of humor and comes highly recommended by people we researched in the Cotswolds including listed in Rick Steves book GREAT BRITAIN . Check out his website. We got quotes and information from 4 sources and Tim was by far the best , most personable, most communicative and had the most to offer . Hope this helps. We can hardly wait for our tour with him. Linda Atlanta, Ga

Archived