Vantage Eastern Europe & the Black Sea

cvanhorn

Hello from Florida. We are going on the same tour with Vantage, August 30th tour. Leaving early on the pretour to Transylvania, August 26th. Been checking out all the various cities/countrys on Google. Been watching My Account section on Vantage site to see our early flight plans as they seem to always be changing. This will be our 4th trip with Vantage and have been well pleased with every one we have done. I will be glad to give you a report on the trip when we return on Sept 11th. My email address is WillardWKrieble@ij.net.

The five countrys we will visit are not on the Euro - all have their own currency. Not sure if that is going to be a problem or maybe they will take Euros. Willard

Sounds good, I'll be waiting for your review. We got onto this via River Barge Excursions that used to run our of New Orleans. He had to shut down for this year and then emailed all of us that had sailed with them about joining him on this Oct 9th one. Cliff

Hello from Florida. We are going on the same tour with Vantage, August 30th tour. Leaving early on the pretour to Transylvania, August 26th. Been checking out all the various cities/countrys on Google. Been watching My Account section on Vantage site to see our early flight plans as they seem to always be changing. This will be our 4th trip with Vantage and have been well pleased with every one we have done. I will be glad to give you a report on the trip when we return on Sept 11th. My email address is WillardWKrieble@ij.net.

The five countrys we will visit are not on the Euro - all have their own currency. Not sure if that is going to be a problem or maybe they will take Euros. Willard

• 1 month later...

We and another couple from Kansas City just booked this river cruise yesterday! We're doing our own air but I have to figure out when we want to go and come. The other couple already booked air because they knew what they wanted to do!

We're waitlisted for Vienna afterward. Are you signed up for the pre or post trips?

Janelle

Willard,

Re: currencies on Black Sea cruise. Not sure of your itinerary or what currency will be used on your cruise. In September 2008 we had no trouble getting local currency from ATMs in Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria using either a debit card loaded with $A or our credit cards. Travellers from USA and Canada did the same. Only paid one exchange fee, rather than two going from $US to Euro to local.

$US seemed to be as well accepted as Euros for purchases in the bigger tourist centres.

Our (Viking cruise) guides in Ukraine arranged visits to money exchanges for those who would not use ATMs. One passenger declined to use ATMs or change $US, saying "if they don't take $US we don't buy." Change was given in local currency regardless.

We spent a wonderful week in Transylvania with a private guide. Sighisoara and the surrounding villages are a dream.

For small purchases on shore, a coffee, postcards, fruit, local transport, we used local currency. We didn't spend enough to need the cards but didn't hear anyone complain about not being able to use them.

I think we may be on this same Eastern Europe & Black Sea cruise with you. We are taking the Grand European river cruise which includes Castles along the Rhine & Danube plus the E. Europe & Black Sea. We leave from Amsterdam on 9/23. If so, we look forward to meeting you. We are Jan & Tom from Indiana.:)

• 2 months later...

Well, less than a month until final payment is due, (July 10). Curious as to who is going to pay for Vantage's cruise insurance and who is going to get their own? I am leaning to get our own as it seems part of Vantage's refund is given as future cruise credits. What do you all think? Cliff

Before leaving Romania, make sure you get money converted back to Euro's or Dollars. I waited to Amsterdam airport and they will not exchange it. Came home with about $20 US in Lei. Serbia, Bulgaria Croatia and Slovakia also cannot be exchanged at airports for US$.

I'd forget buying the insurance, it paid nothing for my broken ankle on a Vantage trip. Not even room service while my husband was out on a tour. I was new to crutches, and ordered a small pizza & coke. Its not I like ordered filet mignon. I had to sit in the economy class with my casted leg across my husbands lap as my leg would not fit on the floor do to the angle of the cas for 16hrs. Vantage had promised an upgrade in the airline seating, but that was all talk. Save your money, spend it on good times. Trip insurance through Vantage is a ripoff!!!!

Before leaving Romania, make sure you get money converted back to Euro's or Dollars. I waited to Amsterdam airport and they will not exchange it. Came home with about $20 US in Lei. Serbia, Bulgaria Croatia and Slovakia also cannot be exchanged at airports for US$.

Thnks for the advice!!

We did this trip with Vantage and loved it!

Happy to answer any questions.

Thanks! Did their included excursions pretty much cover enough to satisfy you? did you use their trip insurance or get your own? What time of the year did you go? And lastly, what dress is suggested for the excursions, like is it better for men and women to not wear shorts?

Thanks! Did their included excursions pretty much cover enough to satisfy you? did you use their trip insurance or get your own? What time of the year did you go? And lastly, what dress is suggested for the excursions, like is it better for men and women to not wear shorts?

We went in May. Weather was warm sometimes hot during the day.

We did a pre-trip in Romania; however, the post-trip @ that time was Budapest which we did not do. The Romania pre-trip was outstanding!

We never buy trip insurance. People we know who do use independent providers.

Re: Dress.....of course excursions are casual. You will be visiting many churches. I'm not a shorts person, but do wear capris. If you prefer shorts, it would be fine.

Word of warning: Make sure you have an assigned cabin # with Vantage.

They overbook (just like most of the river cruise companies). They plan on having a full ship and they know people will cancel. With a cabin # you are assured your sail date. I speak from experience.

You seem to be well traveled. We do use Cruise Critic and the internet b4 we travel and learn as much as possible about the cultures, cities, maps ........best places to get the local SWEETS, etc.

I don't remember taking optional excursions. Vantage is very good about having things "all inclusive".

Hope this helps, Jackie

Well, less than a month until final payment is due, (July 10). Curious as to who is going to pay for Vantage's cruise insurance and who is going to get their own? I am leaning to get our own as it seems part of Vantage's refund is given as future cruise credits. What do you all think? Cliff

I buy my own insurance because it is better than buying from Vantage. I use Insuremytrip.com and select a policy that meets my specific needs. I had to cancel an ocean cruise 4 days before sailing and was glad to be insured. Medicare does not pay outside the US so it is a must to have insurance if you are from the US and on Medicare. Also read the policies carefully for the preexisting conditions clauses.

I have been on two Vantage River Cruises and loved them. I just don't buy their insurance because I want cash not credits. If you have flight problems it is best to deal directly with the airlines. They are the ones who ultimately assign seating and make alternate flight arrangements.

• 2 weeks later...
I buy my own insurance because it is better than buying from Vantage. I use Insuremytrip.com and select a policy that meets my specific needs. I had to cancel an ocean cruise 4 days before sailing and was glad to be insured. Medicare does not pay outside the US so it is a must to have insurance if you are from the US and on Medicare. Also read the policies carefully for the preexisting conditions clauses.

I have been on two Vantage River Cruises and loved them. I just don't buy their insurance because I want cash not credits. If you have flight problems it is best to deal directly with the airlines. They are the ones who ultimately assign seating and make alternate flight arrangements.

Well, did the insuremytrip thing and went ahead and got the cheapest from Tru travel inssurance which is through Nationwide. Only $345 total and it has the 1 million medical evacuation versus just 100 thousand for next 2 companies.

Only a few more days until final payment. Last time I was on Vantages sight I noticed they changed my air to British Airways. Probably change it several times before we leave. We fly out and back from Dulles, how about everyone else?

Happy 4th to everyone!! Cliff

I find it interesting that any river cruise company overbooks... What happens if someone *doesn't* cancel - and they have oversold?? It isn't like an airport where another plan would be leaving in a few hours...

Does Vantage refund a deposit with a cancellation?? This might explain their expectation of last-minute vacancies.

Any of the other companies I have dealt with secure your cabin with your deposit and the deposit is usually non-refundable (unlike ocean cruises...).

I find it interesting that any river cruise company overbooks... What happens if someone *doesn't* cancel - and they have oversold?? It isn't like an airport where another plan would be leaving in a few hours...

Does Vantage refund a deposit with a cancellation?? This might explain their expectation of last-minute vacancies.

Any of the other companies I have dealt with secure your cabin with your deposit and the deposit is usually non-refundable (unlike ocean cruises...).

I've had GCT call me a couple of weeks before my cruise and ask if I would move my trip to a later date with some nice compensation. I couldn't take them up on it, but did meet a couple on a cruise that did take them up. So probably Vantage and others do the same thing.

When we took our GCT March cruise we had 101 people listed in our travel book. When we got on the boat there were 130. GCT "asked" 29 people to move from a later date to our tour and compensated them. The later tour was overbooked.

The key to a comfirmed booking is having a cabin number assigned!

The following was a copy/paste from my original 2007 post re: over-booking:

WARNING - MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A COMFIRMED RESERVATION

We didn’t realize until yesterday that some tour companies overbook river cruises. Then, after the date that a refund can be received they contact the “stand by” bookings and inform them they have to change their travel date. We did see, after the fact, that their web site under “Terms & Conditions” states that they over book in order to have full capacity since they consider they will have cancellations.

Our facts are as follows:

- booked original river boat cruise in May 2006 for October 2007 sail date

- paid in full for trip at the time of booking

- changed sail date in February 2007 to September 2007

- booked extensions for pre & post

- this will be our 4th trip with this tour company

- have 2 other trips scheduled for 2008 with same company

We were contacted and told that when we rescheduled that we were put on stand by (although we were not advised - would have keep our original date had we known).

We had to change our sail date and could not get our extensions; however, we would get a one category cabin upgrade and $150 pp compensation.

We did not feel this was fair compensation since we had not been told we were on standby.

We escalated our complaint with a final out come of changing our sail date, cabin upgrade & free $349 pp pre extension which magically became available.

Archived