Newbie here, so sorry for all the dumb questions....

rogerwaters

I have been lurking a lot, and trying to dig for my own questions, but when I need more info I do wanna ask. But sorry if some questions are repetitive, or if the answer seems obvious. I'm just new to all this.

Ok, exactly how expensive are the beers really gonna be? Especially on the Epic (since that's what I'm cruising).

I've heard some say the price of beer (I'm mostly concerned with beer & wine prices), so I've heard the price per beer is $3.75. Others say it's $7 a beer. So which is it?

And what about a bottle of wine? I'm not a fancy wine drinker and I always order house wine when I go out, so what would be the cost of a bottle of house wine (or cheap wine)?

Thanks again for the help. Already I am getting more & more excited about this trip because so many people are so nice with such thorough answers! :)

I would think that drink prices would be the same, or about the same across the fleet. Answers your get on the main board would follow.

You can get house wine for just under or about $30 a bottle. We recently went to Vegas and would have loved to only pay $30 a bottle.

Dumb questions - nah! Check out the link below.

You can always bring your own bottle of wine aboard the ship. That said, NCL will charge you a $15 corkage fee per bottle. Keep in mind, if you order a beer, wine or alcoholic drink, an automatic 15% gratuity will be added to the bill - no need to tip additionally. I'm not sure of the price of beer 'cause I didn't drink beer on my last cruise. Mixed drinks were reasonable to me ($5-$8) and aren't as expensive as some drinks I've had in clubs and restaurants around the L.A. area.

I

Ok, exactly how expensive are the beers really gonna be? Especially on the Epic (since that's what I'm cruising).

:)

My husband is a big fan of the "bucket of beer" special. You get 6 beer for the price of 5. If I remember correctly domestic beer was something like $19 - $22 + gratuity per bucket.

oh, for some reason i thought norwegian did not allow wine on board at all. so if a "cheap" bottle of wine on board is $30, then if i want to bring my own on board, i need to find a bottle cheaper than $15 to be comparable or less to what i can get on board. if i buy a $15 bottle on land, then have to spend $15 for the corkage fee, i'm already up to $30 regardless. hmmm. but then again, i am sure there are some good $9 bottles of wine out there, the question just remains is it worth saving $6 to lug on my own bottle, or is it just as easy to buy wine on board?

i will search some more to find out what a bottle of beer will cost on Epic.

oh, for some reason i thought norwegian did not allow wine on board at all. so if a "cheap" bottle of wine on board is $30, then if i want to bring my own on board, i need to find a bottle cheaper than $15 to be comparable or less to what i can get on board. if i buy a $15 bottle on land, then have to spend $15 for the corkage fee, i'm already up to $30 regardless. hmmm. but then again, i am sure there are some good $9 bottles of wine out there, the question just remains is it worth saving $6 to lug on my own bottle, or is it just as easy to buy wine on board?

i will search some more to find out what a bottle of beer will cost on Epic.

If you think about it the corkage option is in place to allow passengers to bring a few "special" wines onboard. It make little sense for anyone to pay corkage on a $9-$15 bottle of wine. It makes great sense and becomes a bargain when someone brings those $50+ bottles from their collection to enjoy with a special meal.

A bottle of Dom Pérignon Brut Champagne is $198 onboard. Retail around $130 so even with the $15 it makes good sense.

Here are couple of modest whites and reds from the NCL pricelist. They will add 15% gratuity on the check. Same 15% for beer as well.

Danzante Pinot Grigio delle Venezie, Italy $28 508 184AMR

Bertani Pinot Grigio "Velante" Veneto, Italy $32 515 344AMR

Meridian Vineyards Chardonnay Santa Barbara County, California $28 122 132AMR

Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon "Grand Estates" Columbia Valley, Washington $28 1352 436AMR

Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages Beaujolais, France $27 163 258AMR

thanks for the wine list!

and thanks everyone else for the input!

wowza prices are expensive, but i suppose i knew that was coming! not gonna let that ruin my trip, so looks like i'll spend spend spend but at least enjoy it all while i do!!!

At least it is better to know before you get onboard. A round of applause for you doing your homework before you cruise it can only make it better.

At least it is better to know before you get onboard. A round of applause for you doing your homework before you cruise it can only make it better.

thank you, i indeed am trying to do my homework on all this so the sticker shock doesn't ruin my trip!

i said in another thread that we spent $2,100 for the cruise, and are planning on another $2,000 for drinks, specialty dining, and a few excursions. hoping that extra $2,000 will be enough, but of course we'll spend more if needed. but in our minds, we are planning on $2,000. if it's less than that, great! if not, well so be it.....

If you buy a beer that is imported to the states, like Red Stripe, it will run a little more, but you can still buy a helmet of it. I remember that they had a free tee shirt with every helmet of Red Stripe, too! (couple of years ago). Just look for the specials in the Freestyle Daily.

There is a $5 deposit on the helmet so even if your first helmet of 6 beers for the price of 5 is $22 or so, plus 15% gratuity, you'll see it rung up at a total of about $30. Just bring your helmet back every time you order another one. On the next to last day of the cruise be sure to turn it in so your account will be credited. (you may remove the beers and put them in your cabin's fridge etc).

i said in another thread that we spent $2,100 for the cruise, and are planning on another $2,000 for drinks, specialty dining, and a few excursions. hoping that extra $2,000 will be enough, but of course we'll spend more if needed. but in our minds, we are planning on $2,000. if it's less than that, great! if not, well so be it.....

That is a very reasonable and realistic measure... for the cruises I've taken on many different lines I've spent about $600 to $1,000 on "extras" including drinks, excursions and those little things on the cruise.

My experience with Beer is that you can get beers for around $4 if you like the Bud Light beer. You can pay more for a good beer (yes I'm a beer snob) that may cost $6 or $7. They often have a Fosters Oil can for about that much but you are getting more beer!

Wine can vary - and the wine list can change. My last cruise on Carnival we were able to purchase a wine card that we paid up front but had a limited wine selection with it. I don't recall if NCL does that.

Most of all ENJOY! I love to cruise and will be enjoying my first solo cruise on the Epic because of their new studio cabins! :D

$6 or $7 is not bad for a can/bottle or beer. In August '08 I paid $9 for a bottle of beer in New York and at that it was a warm beer. YUCK! :( We've had helmets of beer on the ships before and at least they are nice and COLD. The only way to drink a beer IMO. Enjoy. It's not like you drink beer and cruise everyday!;) Or we only wish we could!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Archived