I Dont want to go Solo

I booked a cruise on the Freedom in Dec for my Dad and I. It was going to be an early 50th for him but he took all his vacation in Jan. I could go by my self but I just to want to. That when you go by your self you almost pay for two anyway. I dont want to take any of my friends because the I trust wont go, and the rest would get in trouble and get kicked off. So is there any website I can go to so I can find a travle companion. Any advice would help.

I booked a cruise on the Freedom in Dec for my Dad and I. It was going to be an early 50th for him but he took all his vacation in Jan. I could go by my self but I just to want to. That when you go by your self you almost pay for two anyway. I dont want to take any of my friends because the I trust wont go, and the rest would get in trouble and get kicked off. So is there any website I can go to so I can find a travle companion. Any advice would help.

Craigslist? ;) :D

Interesting that you don't trust your own friends but you would trust a perfect stranger? I'd rethink that. Go alone. You'll meet lots of great people and in the end, will probably be glad you have that small cabin all to yourself and don't have to share with someone you may or may not be compatible with.

Interesting that you don't trust your own friends but you would trust a perfect stranger? I'd rethink that.

I see your point, but if you seen the way my friends drink you would understand. I spend the whole week helping them nurse a hangover. That and they would spend more on drinks than I did on the cruise. I dont and cant drink like that.

I see your point, but if you seen the way my friends drink you would understand. I spend the whole week helping them nurse a hangover. That and they would spend more on drinks than I did on the cruise. I dont and cant drink like that.[

I see your point, but if you seen the way my friends drink you would understand. I spend the whole week helping them nurse a hangover. That and they would spend more on drinks than I did on the cruise. I dont and cant drink like that.

I can't understand why you would be friends with folks like this (who seem from your posts to be so different from you). I would try to branch out and maybe develop some new, more compatible, friends in the next few months. If none develop, I'd go solo rather than spend a week with someone I don't know or just met (who may be worse than your friends are!)

I concur with the cancellation.

If you don't want to cancel, call Royal Caribbean and defer the cruise. They will defer indefinitley. Setup a better schedule with your dad, or whoever, and then go.

BTW, if you were going to pay for both anyway, go solo. It is a cruise and you will have ample opportunity to share your adventure with someone.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP, sorry, I can´t help you with a source to find a travel companion.

However I had to comment on this.

I can't understand why you would be friends with folks like this (who seem from your posts to be so different from you). I would try to branch out and maybe develop some new, more compatible, friends in the next few months. If none develop, I'd go solo rather than spend a week with someone I don't know or just met (who may be worse than your friends are!)

I agree with your statement about wanting to cruise with someone you don´t know at all, though I know people that have shared a cabin who met first time F2F on the ship and previously just communicated online (met through CC;)).

But why should the OP seek out new friends, just because they seem to be different? That´s sometimes what a friendship can be about - being different. I do have friends that are way different than me and I wouldn´t want to give them up. Honestly I have some great friends, but none of them I would want to share a cabin with.

I hate to sound judgmental myself, but I agree ... it sounds like you matured and they didn't, but nobody can tell *you* who to stay friends with.

On the matter of finding someone to cruise with, what about your other hobbies - can you find someone to go with through something you do that doesn't involve your drinking friends? I know someone suggested craigslist, but I really hesitate to suggest this, I don't know what type of people you might meet =(

I know people that have shared a cabin who met first time F2F on the ship and previously just communicated online (met through CC;)).

That would be me! And it worked so well that we roomed together at a landside get-together with people from three Floataway Lounge threads, and on a second cruise this past summer. Now we're getting really brave - we're cruising this fall without it being a group cruise (although we "know" a number of the people on the sailing because of CruiseCritic).

However, on that same cruise there were two women who roomed together who did meet up on Craigslist, and I heard it evidently did not work out as well. Just too, too different in their ways.

Archived