South America/Antarctica on the Infinity

brazilgirl

Thanks Kim - great review....so sorry to hear about this 'misadventure'. Your kids are very lucky to experience this area at their age.

I am soooo worried about the Drake Passage - we are doing a small expedition ship that holds 100 passengers in Feb 2011 to Antarctica; then flying to Santiago to catch the Star Princess for the trip around the horn andn up to Florida for 29 days. We for sure will be taking warm clothing; have lots of different sea sick medications packed....but am still worried.

We have been on many cruises, but I don't like the ship movement much. But this is a once in a lifetime experience and hopefully we will get to visit the Falklands.

Appreciate you taking the time to review your cruise.

Question: Since you are from Brazil - we are taking 2 suitcases - one for Antarctica and one for the Star....is there long term (14 days) luggage storage at the domestic airport in Brazil. We hate to have to take both bags with us on the small ship.

Thank you

Hillslife-

There is a luggage storage area in the airport in Rio (GIG) , run by Malex. I found this info

" left end of terminal 1, called MALEX storage. phone nr. (21)33983141, so you can check their opening times. "

There is also a lot of info here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?scope=2&ff=1199&geo=303506&q=luggage+storage&returnTo=__2F__&sub-search.x=11&sub-search.y=13

I myself have never left luggage long term at the airport , but Malex is seems to be a reliable company with storage areas at all major Brazilain airports.

As for Drake´s passage , I must admit , I was quite anxious before going on the cruise , especially as I was travelling with my young children. The experience was memorable and I´d do it again in a heartbeat! I did use meds for seasickness on a few occasions , a first for me , but it was during the 27 ft waves...lol. Good luck getting to the Falklands. I have vowed to get there someday!

You will have an amazing time.

Kim

Edited by brazilgirl

Kim - thank you VERY much for your quick reply. I will check out the luggage storage and website you provided.

Appreciate your assistance and honesty about 'doing it again in a heartbeat'...so that means to me that it wasn't deathly scarey!!!

I hope.:o

I appreciate the positive feedback and am glad the review was helpful.

My children all cite the Antarctica trip as one of their favorites , even with all the mishaps and "adventure". There were all couple of moments when it looked like we really weren´t going to make it to Antarctica , which would have been devastating. Traveling in the Antarctic region means being prepared for anything , I suppose!

Hillslife....

We were shadowed by an expedition ship while in Antarctica and all I can say is I am jealous...you are going to have a unique expereince which few people have access to. I totally understand your qualms , as I felt the same before leaving. But once on your way , I know you´ll be like me...thrilled and exhilarated!

Our shadow:

dqhu6g.jpg

Kim

Kim, thanks so much for your wonderfully written review. I had such a great time on my recent trip to Brazil (just adored Rio) that I'm now considering seeing a bit more of South America and have been comparing the Infinity with the Star proincess one as a possible for next winter. So sorry you didn't get to all the ports but what you did manage to see looked amazingly beautiful.

Normally I take a trip in the European Winter or Autumn to escape the cold and go to warmer climes but the itinerary looks so fascinating. Just how cold is it during the day at that time of year?

AmoMondo-

I am so pleased you enjoyed Rio. It is a unique and fascinating city , I discover something new with every visit.

A secret...Scotland has been number one on my travel list since I was a teenager...and I still haven´t gotten there!

The itinerary offers a real mix as far as weather/temps. It was sizzling hot (40 degrees) in Buenos Aires and quite warm in Montevideo...but obviously , Antarctica was nippy! Ushuaia was chilly too , while Puerto Madryn was quite moderate. It never got below 0 , even in Antarctica. I am sure a Scotsperson won´t find it too bad!

I´d highly recommend this itinerary . I am confident you will love it!If you have any further questions , I´d be glad to answer.

If it were possible , perhaps you´d enjoy doing ths Princess itinerary and traveling a bit on land in Brazil to enjoy the warm sun. It gets quite hot in January.

Kim

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Just came to your cruise review from another thread on someone thinking about canceling their SA cruise.

We were on the same sailing and I have a number of the same GREAT pics of Antarctica!

My favorite was the penguins on the iceberg. It was such a great day there and we too were up and out early that morning.

It went by so fast.

Hope you have great future travels with your family!