hotel in Vancouver over Memorial weekend

compozer

I think we want to stay in Vancouver for 3 - 4 days after our cruise. I know nothing about the city - need to start doing some research but would like to get a hotel booked. Is a holiday weekend a bad time to be there?

I think we'd like it on the water or with a water view.

Any suggestions?

thanks

I think we want to stay in Vancouver for 3 - 4 days after our cruise. I know nothing about the city - need to start doing some research but would like to get a hotel booked. Is a holiday weekend a bad time to be there?

Any suggestions?

thanks

It won't be a holiday in Vancouver. It's only an observed in the US, though they have Victoria Day on May 24th.

There are some really good posts and CC members for recommendations on Vancouver over on the West Coast Departure boards http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Last year I bid and won the Westin Bayshore on Priceline. It's right on the marina and we were lucky enough that when they checked us in they gave us a marina view. Great place as it really closed to Stanley Park and it was one of the stops on the Trolley Tour, so all we had to do was walk out the door and wait for it to come by.

Susan in Anchorage :)

DA, I keep forgetting it's in Canada - I'm getting Seattle and Vancouver mixed up because I'm still not sure which one to fly out of.

I've never used Priceline. Do you do it last minute or when?

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the link.

DA, I keep forgetting it's in Canada - I'm getting Seattle and Vancouver mixed up because I'm still not sure which one to fly out of.

I've never used Priceline. Do you do it last minute or when?

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the link.

For a hotel at the beginning of September 2009, I started bidding in I think February 2009 and my bid was accepted middle of March 2009. Got the Westin Bayside for $102 a night (plus tax) which I think ended up being about $122 a night.

A site that helps explain where the hotels are in the city and their star rating is www.biddingfortravel.com

Though, if you do Priceline, you pay for it when you bid and it's nonrefundable.

I've been very fortunate and won some never nice places in San Pedro, CA, Vancouver, Miami and Fort Lauderdale, using Priceline. Very scary the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it's no problem.

Susan in Anchorage :)

hotel in Vancouver over Memorial weekend

Any hotel downtown will be within a mile of the water, as downtown is a small peninsula.

Also, Memorial Day is an American Holiday, not a Canadian one. Only downside to the Memorial Day weekend is that it's a bit busier at the land borders. Canada does have a holiday weekend, it's the weekend before; "Victoria Day"

I've been bidding on Priceline for several weeks now, trying to get a room in Downtown Vancouver from May 31 - June 3, with no luck. I have not bid over $105/nt yet, since I can get a room on Hotwire (prbly the Sheraton Wall Centre) for $129/nt.

I've been bidding on Priceline for several weeks now, trying to get a room in Downtown Vancouver from May 31 - June 3, with no luck. I have not bid over $105/nt yet, since I can get a room on Hotwire (prbly the Sheraton Wall Centre) for $129/nt.

For what its worth I just picked up the Hyatt Grand for $120 a night for the May 22nd night on priceline.com going rate was $209.00

Thanks Billabongi, I'll keep that in mind if I don't have any luck soon. We still have some time.

Yukon, I agree sometimes it's not worth the time or hassle, but I kind of enjoy the "thrill" of Priceline. Sick, I know. I love knowing I got the best possible deal on everything travel related.

BTW, I've got a Priceline coupon worth $10 per night, so I'd be saving $34/nt ;)

Archived