Tuscany from Livorno by car - Is it doable?

CruiseLiz

We're stopping in Livorno and would love to rent a car and drive out to Tuscany for the day on our own. I'm in a group of 4, so this would be much much cheaper than taking a tour or excursion.

Is it easy to rent a car in Livorno? Also is a day in Tuscany something that we should be able to do w/ a 7am-7pm port time.

p.s. we are not initmidated about driving in Italy, it wouldn't be our first time

Thanks in Advance!

We're stopping in Livorno and would love to rent a car and drive out to Tuscany for the day on our own. I'm in a group of 4, so this would be much much cheaper than taking a tour or excursion.

Is it easy to rent a car in Livorno? Also is a day in Tuscany something that we should be able to do w/ a 7am-7pm port time.

p.s. we are not initmidated about driving in Italy, it wouldn't be our first time

Thanks in Advance!

In 2008, we had arranged a rental from Maxirent. We received an e-mail telling us where to pick the car up, outside the gate, but we never could find anyone (it was a Sunday-I don't know if that matters). We walked back to the ship and Hertz (who had a deal w/HAL and was the only rental company allowed into the port) had 2 cars left. We took one of them and took off. In spite of bad weather, we had a wonderful day. Never heard from Maxirent and they did not charge our credit card.

If I had it to do over again (and I will in November), I will rent from a company that can come into the port. We were on the Zuiderdam on that trip and we could have rented the car at the excursion desk if we had known in advance. I don't know if RCCL excursion desk will assist with car rentals though. One other thing....the gas station nearest the port was not operating that day. We had to drive to another town to fill the car up with gas, making us very late getting back onboard. Too close for my comfort.

Thanks. We will be sailing on Carnival. That's a great tip about getting a rental company that can come into the port.

Where in Tuscany did you go? I'd love to visit Montalcino again but I don't know if it's too far....we might have to stick to the Chianti region??

I'd love to visit Montalcino again but I don't know if it's too far....we might have to stick to the Chianti region??
Montalcino is somewhere between two and a half to three hours from Livorno, each way. To me that's too much for a twelve hour port stop.

How about San Gimignano or Siena?

When you are in Livorno you are already in Tuscany...which is a pretty large region. Renting a car at the port is very doable and there is Maxirent, Hertz, and others which can handle your reservation (Hertz will usually meet you at the pier). We have spend weeks driving in Tuscany and still have yet to see the entire region, so you will need to focus on a few objectives.

Hank

Thanks. We will be sailing on Carnival. That's a great tip about getting a rental company that can come into the port.

Where in Tuscany did you go? I'd love to visit Montalcino again but I don't know if it's too far....we might have to stick to the Chianti region??

Our main destination was San Gimignano. It was pouring rain when we were there, but we still enjoyed it. We wanted to go as far as Sienna, but I was afraid of not getting back to the ship in time since we had a late start due to not being able to find the Maxirent rental car. The weather was cool and cloudy, so we misssed the spectacular views as we drove through Volterra.

Is it possible to drive to Florence and then to either San Gimignano, Lucca or Sienna? We really don't care to see Pisa....

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, it is possible, but keep in mind that the traffic and parking in Florence are a real problem. In fact, when we are traveling in Italy and are staying near San Gimignano (we love this town) we will usually drive to Certaldo where we can park our car for free and than take the train into Florence. When we stay in Florence we specifically book the Hotel David because it has free parking and it just outside the busiest part of town. Driving into central Florence takes a little planning so you know where to go to park your car (there is some parking near the train station) and the best route.

Hank

Yes, it is possible, but keep in mind that the traffic and parking in Florence are a real problem. In fact, when we are traveling in Italy and are staying near San Gimignano (we love this town) we will usually drive to Certaldo where we can park our car for free and than take the train into Florence. When we stay in Florence we specifically book the Hotel David because it has free parking and it just outside the busiest part of town. Driving into central Florence takes a little planning so you know where to go to park your car (there is some parking near the train station) and the best route.

Hank

So is it feasible for us to drive first to Certaldo and take the train to Florence and then come back to Certaldo and then drive to San Gimignano?

Thanks

So is it feasible for us to drive first to Certaldo and take the train to Florence and then come back to Certaldo and then drive to San Gimignano?

No, it's not reasonable. The drive from Livorno to Certaldo is about an hour and a half, plus the time to pick up your car in Livorno, and that assumes you don't get lost, hit any traffic, etc.

The train each way from Certaldo to Florence is about an hour.

The drive to San Gimignano is not far, but then you've got another two hours to drive back to Livorno and turn in your car.

It really can't be done in one day; pick one location or the other.

Archived