Has any rented a moped or scooter

freetalkfreelaugh

We've been to Bermuda, twice. Both cruises people from our ship came back to the ship injured. I don't remember the circumstances of the first, but the second, the couple each had a scooter of there on. They ran into each other! They both broke legs. Both continued on the cruise in wheel chairs. It turned me off to scooters.

They drive on the opposite side of the road. That's OK, if you are constantly thinking about it. It's when you are thinking about other things that your instincts & driving habits take over & you find yourself on the side of the road you are used to with a bus coming straight at you. The roads are very narrow & traffic zips along pretty good.

If you do rent them, be careful. Be aware of other tourists around you, as they may be the ones on the wrong side of the road, putting you in danger. What ever you do, have fun & be safe.

We are going to think about this again as I am not sure we want to risk our lives renting a scooter.

We are very careful people but sometimes its the other person on the road who could be the problem. I do not want to have a hospital bill in a different country as we are from Canada. That would ruin our vacation.

I think its best to play safe.

Thanks

When tourists ask me this I answer, "Do you want to go home in coach or cargo?"

Sorry, but this is my opinion. I've had my life flash before me a few times and I drive a car here. It's much different than even a few years ago and I constantly see locals decked out on the road from motorcycle accidents. It's very crowded and congested with much larger vehicles, and there are some people who aren't as generous and patient on the roads.

One evening I was driving down Blue Hole Hill and there's a bike shop there. The male tourist came flying out of the gate, went clear across both lanes and into the trees. And believe it or not, his wife was right behind him and followed his course right into the same trees.

When I lived there, we used to call the period between Easter and winter, "the rule of terror on the roads". People who had never been on two wheels since they were teenagers wobbled their way around the tiny roads of Bermuda, wearing shorts and tops, usually in the middle of the road but sometimes on the wrong (right) side, irritating the hell out of local car drivers and often laying themselves open to what was known as "road rash" (the grazes you get when you come off the bike and slide along the road). I remember someone dying of tetanus from a road rash.

We do not drive motorcycles on a daily basis.

At first it was really fun while we stayed off the beaten path, but then when DH tried to pull out onto a busy road, making a right turn from the left lane on the crest of a hill he smashed into a wall and totalled the cycle and spent the rest of the day in the hospital. Thank God the injuries were not severe.

We did purchase insurance for the cycle but still had to pay the deductable and the hospital bill up front. And the hospital is nothing like we are used to in the US.

IMO if you are not 100% comfortable on a cycle in traffic at home, than I would say don't take the chance in Bermuda driving on the left.

On my last cruise someone from the ship did not return because of a very serious scooter accident. His bags were taken off the ship right before we left Bermuda by a member of the senior staff.

Two other people had an accident on their scooter and they had rashes and scabs from their heads and faces all the way down the side of their bodies.

I was also on a bus that was one or two feet behind a scooter driven by a man with his young daughter on the back (obvious cruise shi tourists) I thought we were going to run right over them and there is no where to pull off on most of the curvy and hilly roads.

My friend rides a Harley for more than twenty years and does tours on it across the country and he said he would never rent a scooter in Bermuda......

I think it is by far the most dangerous thing to do in Bermuda.......

Archived